Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

TC towing

Old 09-29-2015, 10:18 AM
EvanBly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC towing

I do not have a hitch on my 2015 TC, but I'm thinking I'd like one. Has anyone here had any experience with installing a hitch?

Any suggestions for hitch source? Hitch pricing? Hitch installation?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:42 AM
2LostInTransit
Junior User
According to another TransCon site.. one of the members has a hitch installed and tows an open air type trailer with two large ATV's in the back.. Mind you a few years back.. towing was forbidden with the TransCon.. but according to spec sheets.. (which I try to avoid) say that the current TransCon can tow roughly 2,000 lb.s.. Sure everything looks great on paper as they say.. but I don't like the idea of this front wheel drive micro van towing 2 large ATV's with it's current tire set up..

If you're going to do it.. best stick with what Ford offers..

Trailer Hitch | The Official Site for Ford Accessories

About the only issue I see (and we had to check this ourselves) is that we dropped the spare tire from under the van just to check the offset.. what I noticed is that there is a firewall/barrier of sorts that can get in the way.. dropping the spare tire wasn't easy either.. 2 cords supported the tire to the body/frame. took me 45 mins to crank the spare down tot he ground.. and i don't have the best of arms. So I left the spare in the van in the hopes of having a side mounted system (inside the van) installed by a mobility dealer.

I think if you drop the spare.. you will have plenty of access to mount the hitch etc yourself assuming you're capable of doing so. Me.. not so.. but we're looking to have a fuel reserve system installed where the spare once was.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:08 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
What moved me to the thought of a trailer was a trip to Seattle. It seems like everywhere I looked there were TCs towing small trailers for numerous businesses. I don't intend on carrying a lot of weight; there's some stuff I don't want to carry in the cab because of odor or mess.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:10 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
And, by the way, thanks for the site information.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think as long as you keep the payload in mind with rear of axle tongue weight you'll be fine. Figure 15% of trailer weight added to the payload as a general guideline and that would put you way over the weight of the motor/trans anyhow.

Max payload ~1600, say we keep 1000# free. 1000/.15=6666# trailer before payload is thrown off. If you were somehow over payload, that's when you start losing control and having understeer concerns.

All this being said the 2015 Ford Towing guide specifically states any towing over 1500# requires "Class 1 Trailer Tow Package". If you were to tow more you can risk the warranty and I'm sure for legal purposes I have to say it would be unsafe.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:30 PM
2LostInTransit
Junior User
Originally Posted by EvanBly
And, by the way, thanks for the site information.
Evan.. YW.. and the reason I suggest the ford site is what Frantz just commented on.. Have this installed by the dealer.. because if a warranty issue does surface.. or it was proven that the hitch alone was installed incorrectly.. your off the hook.

Granted who in their right mind tend to weigh everything they place on a trail for towing.. 9 out of 10 we tend to over load things.. Our case within the van.. is to reduce items and retain the usable space.. Placing items within the confines of the van it top priority for us.. just not at the moment.

We've been give 2 of those plastic bread trays as seen in the grocery store.. These have come in handy when hauling small items so that don't slide around. Even with the rubber mat installed. I was looking forward to installing a slim roof rack.. but with my back and shoulder getting worse, I'd be unable to actually use or retrieve items off the roof.

I'm thinking that if you absolute must haul.. acquire a trailer about the size of a hot dog stand/cart..

Willydogs Hot Dog Carts,1-800-915-4683 Buy Now Thank Us Later!

Convert this to be used for your own needs and because of it's size it would limit what you can carry. Sort like a warning sign.. if it's too big to fit on the cart.. then it can't be towed.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:57 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
If I get a trailer it will be a small one. I checked the Ford site and the price for the hitch is roughly double what the hitch is advertised for on other parts sites. I have an email in to my Ford dealer requesting price for an installed hitch. I don't mind paying for parts and service but I hate I hate to feel taken advantage of by the dealer that sold me the vehicle in the first place .

Old 09-29-2015, 04:34 PM
2LostInTransit
Junior User
Agreed.. In many cases.. if you ask your dealership if they will install other related products fro you, they will.. but the only reason I said buying from Ford and having them installed by Ford just covers your butt.. I mean if you really wanted to.. going to u-haul and have them install what ever hitch.. but I wouldn't advice it. Thats one thing about our van.. we're in unchartered territory.. we are the leaders then thinkers for what may come by other TC owners.. My post is to help those thinking of getting items for their van, only to find out it doesn't fit or it caused damage in the long run.. Although I'm focused on wheels and tires are the moment.. there could be a hitch in our future.. I can't say for sure.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:10 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
YO, LOST;

ME TOO, FOCUSED. TRAILER HITCH. I MAY DO IT MYSELF. I FOUND A HITCH SUPPLIER THAT ALSO HAS A VIDEO OF HOW TO INSTALL--I'LL BE CHECKING IT OUT.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:48 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
If someone brought one to me I'd farm it out anyway. I've also installed a few hitches myself on my vehicles over the years. It's pretty straight forward and I have never heard of a warranty concern over hitch installation.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:06 AM
EvanBly
Senior User
I emailed my friendly Ford dealer for a price on installing a hitch on my TC. The estimate came to over $700 after taxes. I see the parts on line for around $200 which makes me think my dealer is way overpriced. I'll be checking out other installers and to see if I can find a better price. Or, I may just work on installing the hitch myself.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Ouch. I haven't priced for the TC, but on full sized transits I get it installed for $400. Granted, that's when it's part of the deal. Its about $25 over cost to make it worth while to drive it up and back from the shop in town. I might be too generous with my time though.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Boxdriver
New User
Should be able to find something like a Hidden Hitch, Curt or Reese to fit your TC for a decent price on line or at an automotive parts store. Then just install it yourself. I've installed a bunch of them through the years. Easy and way less expensive than having some dealership or service center vacuum your wallet.

Basic wrench sockets, an hour or so of your time and a torque wrench to finish the job. Not difficult at all and a lot less expensive than letting someone else do the work.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:49 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Box;

I'm thinking about it. Do you (or anyone else) have recommendations regarding what would be the best hitch?

U-Haul has given me an estimate that is 1/2 the price offered by my dealership. Something to think about.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Boxdriver
New User
I've used Hidden Hitch most times, but ordered a Curt for a Vibe that I used for commuting a few years back. I used light duty hitches for my bicycle rack. Both of these firms have good products. There are a few other hitch companies and I imagine that they are of equal quality. Draw Tite is another good brand.

If you go on the Internet and search for "trailer hitch receiver" you should be able to find all kinds of places to buy from. Places like Autoanything, etrailer, pepboys, and even amazon are some examples. These hitches are custom built to bolt on to existing frame/unibody locations under a particular car/truck/van.

Class lll hitch would do fine. You should be able to get one for $150 to $170. Sometimes you can find a Sale that will save a few more bucks. Some receivers are 2" and some of the lighter duty class ll hitches might have 1 - 1/4" openings. Make sure you order the size you need. TC has a towing limit of 2,000 lbs, so make sure you match that at least. Class lll should be fine, with a 3500 lb limit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TC towing