Alberta Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Puddy

Debit card skimming (Calgary)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:16 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope y'all don't mind me posting this here. It is happening in Calgary, and I was a very recent victim!
Anyway, my wife and I were 'skimmed' on Thursday and Friday, when someone double scanned my wife's debit card (the bank knew whose card it was) some time ago (who knows where) and got her PIN number. They cleaned out that account that had over $1500 in it. I hope they catch the buggers! Each ATM that was used has a certain number code that the banks can trace, so hopefully they all had cameras. The last purchase was at a jewelry store for $350. The internet helped me determine where it was located, so I forwarded that on to the bank officials. We just got our money back yesterday.
Everyone please, change your PIN code frequently, and cover the PIN pad when you type the number in, so no one can see. They usually scan the card and wait for several weeks to strike. You may or may not notice on your statements that they check the account periodically for a balance. Record each day and time that you check your balances, so you will know when someone is 'peeking' for the right time to cash out! It is usually shady store employees doing this, belonging to a larger ring, and most of the time the store owners have no idea what is happening. Also, make sure your debit card never disappears from your view at any time, as they apparently hide their extra 'scanner' behind counter.
I hope I can help save someone from being violated like we were! I saw it on TV a while back, but never thought it could happen to me... It DID!
Mark

Old 07-26-2003, 10:32 AM
77lowrider
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the easiest place for these people to do this is at restaurants. Usually, ppl just give the waiter their MC or visa, and then the waiter can do whatever he/she wants with it. I got taken for 105.00 at a restaurant, and didnt notice untiltoo late. Just a thought.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Trainguy52
New User

I agree with 77Lowrider.

I travel on business and have been burned a couple times.

The best education was by a waiter in an L.A. restaurant. After two missed flights and a bad commute to Westlake, I went for dinner just before 11 PM.

Once seated, I placed my order and the waiter asked for my card. When I asked why, he said that they needed to close out the cash register. When I asked, "But what about desert or adding your tip?", he said, “You can add it now or we can add it later.”

Now here's where he really enlightened me. He said, "Once we scan your card's magnetic strip, a transaction number for this establishment is assigned. Using that, we can call it back up and change the amount to whatever we want, latter on."

Apparently, only good ethical business conduct keeps type of scam this from happening more often.

Old 07-29-2003, 08:33 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheesh, scary stuff!
Say, you got any pics of your '69 Mustang you can send me? I have a friend looking for a 65-67 Mustang to work on as a project car, so I am kinda into them right now... LOL!
Thanks!
Mark in Calgary

Old 07-29-2003, 09:33 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why a pic of a 69?

I have one of a 69 Mach I

Btw, When do you want to get your FTE Window sticker ?

Old 08-06-2003, 01:41 PM
Trainguy52
New User

O.K. Mil1ion, I'll bite.....

How did you get past the 64-1/2 inception date of the Mustang?

(60 MACH 1 ???)

Gotta get some pictures taken. Lots of 69 coupe jpegs out on the WWW.

Old 08-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Whoops ......Typo !