General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

bragging a bit.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 11:24 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bragging a bit.

I jump on the scales often nowadays.. I am really happy to announce that I am lighter than I have been for over 10 years..

I opened a box of winter jackets today - I bought one in November, a 4XL that was tight. Tonight I put it on, for the amusement of it, and could fit Sliknspeedy in there with me too. It looked so good I got a photo of us.. I now take a size XL.

I am hoping that I will be same weight I was 20 years ago, by next year.

*theo lets rip with a southern yell*

Theo

(I know it is not very interesting, but go from my weight at Christmas to 83 lbs lighter, and you would crow some too.)

Old 08-03-2003, 11:31 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru
bragging a bit.

Congratulations!

Inquiring minds and all that, but, what did you top out at? If you tell me to pound sand, that's OK

I hit 290 about 10 years ago, I'm steady at about 230 now. That's was a lot, even though I am over 6' tall.

Old 08-03-2003, 11:33 PM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru
bragging a bit.

It takes alot of will power to lose that much weight (well, legally). I've got a little gut that accumulated after I stopped playing soccer and started watching cartoons that I need to get rid of, but food is just soooo good. Ssshhhhh... you hear that? I think its the fridge saying "Tony....... come eat a pizza....."

Old 08-04-2003, 12:14 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
bragging a bit.

CONGRATULATIONS THEO!!!!!

I know how hard it is, I can't stand the sight of a salad anymore...

I am 6'4" and I hit 255 and was eating a salad back in 86 watching the Challenger disaster. That is how I remember that day. The doctor and my wife put me on a diet that dropped me down to 175 in about 4 months. When I hit 175 my body reacted like my throat had been cut and I started eating and went back up to 210 (which is an ideal weight for me). Over the years I gained back up to 240 but I recognized I was in trouble again and started watching my intake. Over the last two years I have gradually dropped that back to 230. About 5 months ago the Doc found out I was diabetic so I have been watching the "intake" even closer and I have dropped another 5 pounds nice and gradual... I hope to take it nice and gradual back to 210 again -But still no salads!!! -YECH!!!

IT CAN BE DONE!

Old 08-04-2003, 12:17 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
bragging a bit.

Good for you, Theo. Now if you make a quote re "the body is a temple" you can be believed. Hang in there.
Dono

Old 08-04-2003, 12:26 AM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

bragging a bit.

yeah congratulations. i was on a loosing streak last summer and then i got stupid and had some problems and skyrocketed up to more than i've ever been. i'm a 5'6" female and i'm at around 230 right now but i'm on a healthier intake deal now becuz my mother's diabetic and so she's trying to get me to eat her stuff so i'll drop slowly.. i tell you, some of that sugar replacement stuff.. ick! but if that's what it takes. i can honestly say, i have changed size of pants since i was a sophomore in high school but they sure are a little tighter now. i hope to be able to say the same thing as you so congratulations and maybe i'll get there too.

Old 08-04-2003, 08:44 AM
theologian
Postmaster
bragging a bit.

The reason I started off on the get smaller quest was because at 326 lb, my body was unable to cope with glucose anymore, and I was crashing into full blown diabetes. That scared the living daylights out of me, so before last Christmas, I ate my last big meal. I no longer eat any sugar, glucose or similar, starches I keep to a minimum, and fat I keep to a minimum too. It worked, because I have trained my tummy to expect less, and my mind to accept that - We have normal sized plates, but the amount of food I eat now looks silly on them, so we don't use them anymore. We use 8 inch side plates, as dinner plates, and it doesn't look so empty. Hunger is no longer a problem, I can't hear the fridge bellowing at me to come eat, which is great, and my water intake has gone up threefold.

The really scary part of this is that I am still overweight, with another 35 to 40 pounds to shed. But, I can see my feet, which is nice, and I can actually bend over and pick something up off the floor.

I recently started eating bread again - I bake my own, with a very low carb recipe..

½ cup Spelt Flour
¼ cup Wheat Gluten
¼ cup Wheat Germ
¼ cup EV olive oil
½ cup water.
4 g of dried active yeast.

Kneed it all together, and sit under a damp cloth to rise the dough until doubled in size, kneed it again, repeat raising part.

Slam it in a pre heated oven, 350º F on a greased baking sheet, and take it out when it is golden. When turned upside down, the loaf will sound hollow when you knock on it.

Cut really thin slices - they are tasty enough not to use butter on..

I like to have a thin slice of cheese with it.. YUMMY

The good thing about the recipe, is that the entire loaf has only 41 carbs... I can get about 25 slices, cut less than ¼" thick out of one loaf, at 1.65 carbs a slice. Spelt Flour is low on the Glycemic index, as are the rest of the ingredients, so eating it is not going to shoot up your glucose levels.......

The most exciting part of my life now is that once again, my pancreas functions as it should. I am no longer diabetic - I am not even hypoglycemic anymore... That is so wonderful, I think I will go eat a pizza ---- NO, just joking. Though if I can find some Pharoh Flour, and some rye...... I could make a real low carb pizza crust.. I will experiment.

Theo

Old 08-04-2003, 09:10 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bragging a bit.

Congratulations Theo!!!!

I too was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes about 6 years ago.
I stopped ALL sugar, and almost all carbs, and lost about 18
pounds. I was then taken off the medication, and have just been
watching my weight.

There is a strong correlation between weight and blood sugar.
If I gain a few pounds, I can see my glucose levels go up, loose
a few pounds and back down they go.......

Old 08-04-2003, 06:26 PM
kevin71100
Senior User
bragging a bit.

My wife is on a diet and thus, so am I. I love her dearly and I want her around to grow old with but I'm not the one who needs to lose weight. For some reason she gets uptight when she baits me into almost saying this.
I thought she was going to squeeze the stuffing right out of me when I told her she was abit overweight but certainly she wasn't obese. Thats called thinking on yer feet. But what the heck: she's heat in the winter and shade in the summer.
Guess I will hang onto her, she hasn't been able to run me off yet... Been married 12 years and counting.

Old 08-04-2003, 06:29 PM
theologian
Postmaster
bragging a bit.

When I started, my family joined me. Now we all eat differently, very healthily and our taste buds are so much better now. Sugar and starch completely destroy one's ability to taste things. I tase the subtlety of flavors in all foods now, and can recommend it to everyone - there are some amazing tasting things you need to try.

Theo

Old 08-04-2003, 06:47 PM
dtpatt2
Elder User
bragging a bit.

can you still eat steak?

Old 08-04-2003, 06:55 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bragging a bit.

Originally posted by kevin71100
But what the heck: she's heat in the winter and shade in the summer.
Whatever you do, don't compliment her by saying "Gee Honey,
you don't sweat much for a fat girl!!!"

Old 08-04-2003, 07:00 PM
fordtruck87
Senior User
bragging a bit.

i'm 6'9 305 i think ideal weight
for me is like 260 but i like 280 when i hit it cause id be way to skinny at 260

Old 08-04-2003, 07:02 PM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
bragging a bit.

theologian,

Good for you!

I was suffering from obsessive-compulsive eating -- I could eat and eat - and then eat some more. People would tell me, I have never seen anyone eat that much. I could eat a whole chicken, a big one, and then much more. I would eat until I got so full I could eat no more, literally. And these foods were bad foods. Mostly meats and fried chicken and anything meaty and fatty and sweet. With ice cream, I could eat a box in a day.

If you know what OCD is - for me eating was much more than eating, it was a way to feel happy and fulfil emotional needs, sounds pretty crazy, I know. A lot of people do something like that. It is an escapist mechanism to avoid dealing with reality.

So I hit 275 lbs, was in the obesity category, not yet sick but heading this way...

I think it took a miracle for that to reverse, that's the best way describe it.

There were other issues going on concurrently, I quit my job, moved to the country and stopped eating bad stuff. Only cereal, a few eggs, a lot of greens and a lot of oatmeal. I would still eat a lot, just good stuff.

It was a starvation diet, maybe 1,000 cals per day. I quickly went to 200 lbs. Although the last 10 lbs were a real struggle. I stayed at 208 for many months. Maybe that's my ideal weight. If I do hit 200 or under, I quickly get back to 205-208.

This past winter I went from 200 to 240 due to inactivity and then back to 200. I learned much more. You should eat 10 times your ideal body weight in calories. Not less than 8 times. Example: You should be 200 lbs, then eat 2,000 cals per day. Anything much less and evil things happen to you. 500 cals per day *will* make you lose weight -- I know -- but you will feel so miserable that you will inevitably stop it and over-indulge again. You need sustainable diet for the rest of your life.

Final note:

Don't believe everything about sugar. You need sugar to function. Limited amounts of course, as all else. But don't deprive your diet of sugar. If you lead an active life, you need sugar. If your life is passive, it will make you fat. Sugar= quick energy.
I think the best sugar is a byproduct of other stuff. Like bread and potatoes. If you lead a very active life, you can eat as much as you want. It is the imbalance that gets one in trouble. ( I got really fat due to a cubicle type job).

Old 08-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Ironbelly
Senior User
bragging a bit.

Hey Theologian <=> Delighted to hear it...Just goes to show what the right mindset can do for your 'self'.

Quick Reply: bragging a bit.