Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone please help! My brakes go straight to the floor !

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:54 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wheel cylinder blew out a couple of days ago and so did all of the brake fluid , so I installed the wheel cylinder and I had my friend buy and fill my resivior but stupid me I didn't check till a couple days later my brake pedal slowly states to go to the floor more and more it's to the point where the truck barely stops , and this is where the it started my friend pored power steering fluid in my brake resivior , it brakes really good the 1st day then this , I flushed the whole thing with dot 3 and it still won't brake someone please help I don't know what it is ?!!??!!?

Old 09-26-2015, 11:31 PM
justcruzin125
Senior User
When you pump the brakes, does it seem to brake better?

Old 09-26-2015, 11:36 PM
daddylee100
Elder User

Shoes adjusted properly? When taking the wheel cylinders off were the shoes put back on and adjusted correctly

Old 09-27-2015, 12:05 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The brake fluid is obviously going somewhere, look for the obvious signs of leakage and not necessarily just on the wheels.... Find the leak and it will answer your problem.

Edit, after rereading the original post I retract this.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:52 AM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The power steering fluid probably screwed the cup seal in the master cylinder. Pedal fade usually indicates a faulty master cylinder.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:27 AM
trevorrules
Senior User
I don't see any leaks any where iv ran almost 2 quarts of brake fluid through it , and for the wheel cylinder that I replaced I adjusted the star wheel till the tire begins to drag and still same results . I mean the pedal sinks like a damn rock to the floor and when I pump it the pedal gets really hard and barely stops , the resivior was completely empty when the wheel cylinder gave out on me . Should I bench bleed it or get a new one ? Or any ideas

Old 09-27-2015, 05:41 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
have you added any fluid to the master after flushing and bleeding it?
of no and the fluid level is still good, i would say you most likely need to replace the master cylinder.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:33 AM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you pushed the brake to the floor after it ran out fluid then it's probably the master cylinder.

When there is no fluid, the pedal can go much further then it usually would, which allows the seal inside the master cylinder to be able to move further and possibly damage the seal.

So now brake fluid is actually just going around the seal, instead of being pushed into the brake lines.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:04 AM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the pedal gets rock hard after pumping, but you don't have good stopping power, then you POSSIBLY have a blown booster. When a booster goes, you lose power breaks. Typically a booster goes when the MC starts leaking past it's rear seal into the booster. Take the MC bolts loose real quick and check in there for fluid.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:37 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
The booster holds air in it when I unplug the vacuum hose , and I meant to say it gets rock hard when the truck is off when it's on it goes straight to the floor no matter how many times I pump it and no abs light comes on , and do I adjust the star wheel till it begins to drag ?

Old 09-27-2015, 02:56 PM
jaagen
Senior User
Yes you turn till thewheel starts to drag.do what was suggested first then go from there. Once youfind what works or leaking then you cango down the line.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:23 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trevorrules
My wheel cylinder blew out a couple of days ago and so did all of the brake fluid , so I installed the wheel cylinder and I had my friend buy and fill my resivior but stupid me I didn't check till a couple days later my brake pedal slowly states to go to the floor more and more it's to the point where the truck barely stops , and this is where the it started my friend pored power steering fluid in my brake resivior , it brakes really good the 1st day then this , I flushed the whole thing with dot 3 and it still won't brake someone please help I don't know what it is ?!!??!!?
If the brake system was filled with power steering fluid that's not good, Brake fluid and power steering fluid are vastly different liquids and so are the seals that hold in the different fluids. The first thing that's likely to go out is the master cylinder and it's anybody's guess as to what will be next unfortunately.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:41 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
Originally Posted by twigsV10
If the brake system was filled with power steering fluid that's not good, Brake fluid and power steering fluid are vastly different liquids and so are the seals that hold in the different fluids. The first thing that's likely to go out is the master cylinder and it's anybody's guess as to what will be next unfortunately.
I had to drive it today and sometimes it will stop but I would have to press it fast and it would hold but most of the time it won't , the resivior was empty, so do I need to remove it and bench bleed it or do I need to buy another one

Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
if the tank is empty, first thing you need to do is fill it up and find where the fluid is going.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:41 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
if the tank is empty, first thing you need to do is fill it up and find where the fluid is going.
It is filled , the fluid level hasn't changed for 3 days and I can't find any major leaks or anything

Quick Reply: Someone please help! My brakes go straight to the floor !