2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why do we need a stronger frame?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Might be a decent test-bed to prove they can make an IFS that won't crap out tie rod ends like someone next door....
Not sure what tie rod ends have to do with whether it has an axle or not. One's steering, the other is suspension. What prevents a manufacturer from using the exact same tie rod ends driven by a rack and pinion hanging over an independent suspension?

Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Id rather have a small block V8 diesel or v6 diesel than Ecoboost.

Josh
Why would you want a 1950s era V8? Modern designs are SO much better than that!

Old 10-01-2015, 08:09 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Not sure what tie rod ends have to do with whether it has an axle or not.
Chevys.... IFS in HD trucks.... Tie rod ends.... Flopping tires.... Joke.... Laughter.... No?

It's not just the tie rods failing, but frames cracking, torsion bars breaking, CVs and u-joints blowing. Chevy's main problem is an undersized system in a fat truck, and even with the aluminum Jenny Craig Diet Ford's aren't exactly svelte so change management of rolling out a better IFS would take some effort to mitigate the most-known issues.

Ford can replace their currently-crappy Tiwn I-Beam IFS with one that doesn't suffer from the common complaints associated with the only brand that runs IFS in their HD 4wd trucks, prove that it's not a bad system when done better, then migrate to a 4wd version of the system. To me there's literally nothing to lose in replacing the Twin I-Beam, so use it to prove Ford won't have the same failure-points as Chevy deals with.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:25 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
Id rather have a small block V8 diesel or v6 diesel than Ecoboost.

Josh
I could live with a V6 diesel too. Actually, a V6 version of the 6.7L putting out 300/600 would suit me perfectly, assuming it could be had for $5-6k over the gasser instead of $9k like the 6.7L

Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
I could live with a V6 diesel too. Actually, a V6 version of the 6.7L putting out 300/600 would suit me perfectly, assuming it could be had for $5-6k over the gasser instead of $9k like the 6.7L
You can have that in a few months, its called the Nissan Titan and I hope more people give it a serious look. I know I will for my future truck. I don't need and don't want to pay for the extra capability I don't need in a 3/4 ton truck.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Chevys.... IFS in HD trucks.... Tie rod ends.... Flopping tires.... Joke.... Laughter.... No?.......
Sure, before 2011, but the new GM HD IFS is stronger than what's under the Super Duty. It still may not have quite the wheel travel and ground clearance isn't as good, but it's strong, I will give them that. I have yet to do any suspension work on the 2011 HD's in our fleet. Fords? Well......

If you look at the Super Duty forum on this site, I think the about most common issues reported are front ball joint and axle/bearing problems.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
You can have that in a few months, its called the Nissan Titan and I hope more people give it a serious look. I know I will for my future truck. I don't need and don't want to pay for the extra capability I don't need in a 3/4 ton truck.
I considered the Titan. As much as I love Ford, Nissan is a close second for me.

With that said, the new Titan is ugly.

Josh

Old 10-02-2015, 04:55 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
Sure, before 2011, but the new GM HD IFS is stronger than what's under the Super Duty. It still may not have quite the wheel travel and ground clearance isn't as good, but it's strong, I will give them that. I have yet to do any suspension work on the 2011 HD's in our fleet. Fords? Well......

If you look at the Super Duty forum on this site, I think the about most common issues reported are front ball joint and axle/bearing problems.
I'd be curious to know how many of these issues were caused by lift kits, oversized tires and working the truck beyond Ford's recommended capabilities.

The market definition of these trucks is "light duty".

Old 10-02-2015, 07:15 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'd be curious to know how many of these issues were caused by lift kits, oversized tires and working the truck beyond Ford's recommended capabilities.

The market definition of these trucks is "light duty".
I've seen lots of folks with bone stock trucks with balljoint issues. Redford's truck needs balljoints for the second time, and he just rolled over 100,000 miles. I don't think it happens to every truck, but it's certainly a common issue.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:17 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I've seen lots of folks with bone stock trucks with balljoint issues. Redford's truck needs balljoints for the second time, and he just rolled over 100,000 miles. I don't think it happens to every truck, but it's certainly a common issue.
I needed ball joints in my 1986 and 1988 F-150's well before the 75K mile mark and my trucks were bone stock. Neither of these trucks had serviceable ball joints from the factory. I don't consider ball joints to be a deal breaker, the front end takes a pounding.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running 37" x 13.50" for 10 years and 100K+ miles, just had to replace ball joints.

Cost of doing business. No feelings hurt here.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:01 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
If the Titan XD had a on it, then it would likely be my next truck, as it's specs are exactly what I'm looking for. However, I've never felt comfortable in anything else, and nothing seems to fit me like a Ford.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:58 PM
DCP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe Nissan is calling the Titan XD a 1/2 ton, but I've noticed that most 1/2 trucks cost just as much, if not more, than the heavy duty trucks do. Lastly, according to the Fast Lane Truck on YouTube, "our" government used taxpayer's money and/or/a.k.a, the Bank of China's money to help Cummins fund the 5.0L diesel engine project. The Cummins 5.0L diesel engine was developed for another manufactures truck, but shelved for nine years before Nissan contracted to use it in their Titan XD trucks. Just knowing this, I hope the Nissan Titan XD fails miserably

Old 10-04-2015, 11:08 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
To be fair, I've never heard of anyone bending or breaking the frame of their Super Duty. I think it's a ride, handling, and NVH thing more than anything capability related.

Road tractors use open C-channel frames. And they twist, shimmy, and shake far more than any light duty truck I've ever seen. Sure they're strong enough to haul lots of weight, but they certainly don't do it gracefully.
Stiffening the frame sure makes a huge difference in ride quality.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by DCP
I believe Nissan is calling the Titan XD a 1/2 ton, but I've noticed that most 1/2 trucks cost just as much, if not more, than the heavy duty trucks do. Lastly, according to the Fast Lane Truck on YouTube, "our" government used taxpayer's money and/or/a.k.a, the Bank of China's money to help Cummins fund the 5.0L diesel engine project. The Cummins 5.0L diesel engine was developed for another manufactures truck, but shelved for nine years before Nissan contracted to use it in their Titan XD trucks. Just knowing this, I hope the Nissan Titan XD fails miserably
Pretty sure Dodge and Nissan were part of that same program (2008?) to use a small V8 in a 1/2 ton truck. Dodge was bought out by Fiat and that program went to a Fiat diesel engine.

Nissan doesn't sell very many trucks, so it will be interesting how it works out for them.

Josh

Old 10-05-2015, 12:40 AM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pretty sure Dodge and Nissan were part of that same program (2008?) to use a small V8 in a 1/2 ton truck. Dodge was bought out by Fiat and that program went to a Fiat diesel engine.

Nissan doesn't sell very many trucks, so it will be interesting how it works out for them.

Josh

I'm sure a Titan diesel will be same cost as a F-250 6.7. I plan on test driving one, looks pretty nice. I just bought the wife a new Nissan Armada back in May, but I personally like driving American brands and Ford is my favorite. I welcome competition from all, it benefits us!

Quick Reply: Why do we need a stronger frame?