RV Covers

Old 09-23-2015, 11:43 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
RV Covers

With winter coming soon I was thinking about getting a cover for the new toy hauler.

Are you guys using them?
How many seasons have you had yours before you had to replace it?
Any paint or stick rubs from the cover?

Old 09-24-2015, 10:03 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
I had a boat wrapping place do my 5er last year and it worked out so well I am having them do it again this year after the season ends. Here's the finished product.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:51 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
BPofMD,
Thanks for the response.
I though about the same thing but figured it would be pretty expensive. Any chance you could you the cover a couple of years instead of replacing it year after year?

Old 09-25-2015, 10:12 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

None at all....ya gotta cut it off. As I'm 76 now, just having them do all the work of installing it makes it worth it. And unlike previous covers I have had through the years, I don't have to go out in the cold and wind to patch up the damage that the winds cause....and we don't live in a WINDY area.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:32 PM
William Mark Brown
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had not thought about a boat cover shop. I 'll have to check on cost for that. I had my 21RR toy hauler in outside storage since 2012 and never covered. I just bought a 2016 Vegeance 320A and want it to last a long time so I might look into covering it. We get a lot of snow here in Iowa.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:19 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Notice the inverted V on the top of the trailer.... they installed one in front and one in back to induce snow to slide off the roof...... they also stuck vents into the cover to insure you don't get mildew growing inside. I popped open the vents inside to also help ventilate the inside. It was great come spring and camping time!. Obviously ya still gotta winterize the RV.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:23 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I run an Adco cover, it works well. Easy on and easy off. I've had it for 4 years with no issues.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:47 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
I have used covers without a problem, but when you get to serious size, they can be a real pain to put on. A fair amount of weight when you drag a 40-foot cover up on the roof. I see places here now advertising shrink wrap, but do not have any direct experience with it.

Steve

Old 10-05-2015, 05:29 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I just finished the cover on a 41-foot toy hauler today. Man, what a royal pain. I know ADCO has a video that makes it look simple, but I found the cover to be heavy and if there is even a breeze, good luck. It is like trying to manhandle a giant sail.

If you go this route watch your step. Once the cover is on you still have to get down off the roof and all the vents, skylight, air conditioners, etc. are covered up and easy to trip over.

Steve

Old 10-10-2015, 07:46 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I just finished the cover on a 41-foot toy hauler today. Man, what a royal pain. I know ADCO has a video that makes it look simple, but I found the cover to be heavy and if there is even a breeze, good luck. It is like trying to manhandle a giant sail.

If you go this route watch your step. Once the cover is on you still have to get down off the roof and all the vents, skylight, air conditioners, etc. are covered up and easy to trip over.

Steve
2X what Steve says.
At least on our 38 footer we don't have the 2 big solar panels that were on the 34 foot unit. That vid that ADCO has make it look like a 10 minute job - it isn't. By the time everything is done, figure you need a couple hours. Oh and I use a decent 16 foot ladder instead of that puny one screwed to the back of the 5er as there are several trips on and off of the roof to pull, align then repeat several times.

Life of an ADCO cover can be weeks to 3-5 years depending on your local winds and how you installed it - they rip easily and once started .......

Old 10-10-2015, 07:55 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
With my wife just pulling the sides down while I am on the roof dragging the pig from the back to the front usually takes us an hour with no wind and an hour and a half with some wind (and if there is a real wind, do it another day), course done it for years now. The shorter covers not so bad.

I think the folks who do the video for ADCO must also do work for politicians!

Old 10-10-2015, 08:44 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
from the back to the front

I think the folks who do the video for ADCO must also do work for politicians!
Interesting that you do it from back to front as I've found it easier to do it the opposite way as I can, on the last alignment, go down the ladder, pulling the rear part with me. On the Titanium and its extended nose, that was the only way to do the job.

A few years ago I saw a 'political' ADCO ad where some senior, by himself, covered his mega size Class A after every outing in only "ten minutes". I'm a senior, very good health, still takes me well into the 2 hour range

Old 10-10-2015, 08:55 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I put the front on first, but given it was a toyhauler, I drag it up to front the back, so once I have it laid out the full length I roll it out over each side. I'm sure there are lots of different ways to do it.

ADCO is a funny company. Years ago I wrote a piece on RV covers for one of the magazine and they wanted me to let them write the article. Said it would be simpler if I just used their own stuff!

Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang guys, I have a 32' toyhauler and my ADCO goes on in about 10 minutes.
My ladder is in the front so I put the cover still in the bag on the propane bottles, climb the ladder and pull the bag up. I walk it to the back and just start pulling what is needed out of the bag while working my way to the front. Then climb down the ladder never stepping on the cover. Then just connect the straps underneath.

When I'm taking it off, I do the same thing in opposite order. Disconnect the straps, grab the bag and the front of the cover and head up the ladder, pulling the cover up as I go. Once I get on the roof I walk about 5 feet and start shoving the cover in the bag until I'm at the back of the trailer. Then the cover is ready to go back on the opposite way.

Taking it off is probably a 6-8 minute job. I don't have much on my roof either, just 4 vents, 1 A/C, 1 skylight, and 1 luggage rack.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:22 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Yes, the shorter covers are much faster and a lot also depends on what is on the roof. Lots of variance.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RV Covers