1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

LED instrument panel lights--good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 07:58 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool LED instrument panel lights--good or bad?

I decided to put LED lights for the two that iluminate the panel (not really needed for brake and hi beam lights and turn signals)

Now none of my gauges work !

I took the panel off but its getting late so I quit for the night. Nothing in back seems burnt or emitting any odor, etc.
The panel has all NOS gauges, speedo and instrument regulator. The printed circuit is repop. Everything worked before. Perhaps its a bad idea and I should just use regular 194 bulbs.
What do you all think?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:55 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Did you put the bulbs in correctly? I believe with the LED, the direction of installation matters?

Do you have the headlight switch rotated to turn the dash lights up all the way?

Get in here and read around. LED Bulbs & Gauge Light Kits - HiPo Parts Garage

Old 09-24-2015, 07:58 AM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
LED lights, if installed properly, are no different from the 194s, electrically speaking. If they're installed improperly (i.e. backwards), they just won't work - basically the same as a burnt-out 194.

If you're having problems with the gauges not working, I'd check to be sure you got the IP plugged back in securely, and that you didn't disconnect a ground wire or the IPVR or something.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:48 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaul
LED lights, if installed properly, are no different from the 194s, electrically speaking. If they're installed improperly (i.e. backwards), they just won't work - basically the same as a burnt-out 194.

If you're having problems with the gauges not working, I'd check to be sure you got the IP plugged back in securely, and that you didn't disconnect a ground wire or the IPVR or something.
Sorry to thread hijack, but I have a question for bkaul. Did you use the Hi-Po Parts LED conversion kit? If so, what series did you use (economy, extreme, or elite) I have a few burnt bulbs and was planning on going to LED. I just don't want it to be ridiculously bright. I was leaning towards the "Extreme" series in factory color.

For the OP: LEDs are a polarized diode. They will only work in one direction, but even so, it shouldn't effect gauges at all. You must have another problem somewhere. I'd make sure you re-installed the gauge cluster correctly and all connections are good and tight.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:50 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
You can buy LED bulbs in the proper socket size off ebay. I buy in bulk, for my '82 I used Ultra Blue T10 wedge base bulbs I got off ebay. I also used Red and Green for my indicator lights as well I a T10 wedge.

With LEDs as have been said by others they are specific in which way current will flow if they don't work try flipping the bulb and seeing if it works then.

Mine I got from china in bulk packs and I have had my conversion done for about a year now I think and not one has stopped working.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:06 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordcrzymike
Sorry to thread hijack, but I have a question for bkaul. Did you use the Hi-Po Parts LED conversion kit? If so, what series did you use (economy, extreme, or elite) I have a few burnt bulbs and was planning on going to LED. I just don't want it to be ridiculously bright. I was leaning towards the "Extreme" series in factory color.
Yes, I used their kit. Mine are "Elite" in factory color. Factory color is their "warm white" bulb, and I bought a couple of extras - an extra 194 base for the heater controls, and one with a bayonet base for the headlight/wiper switch illumination. The kit comes with enough to do the full instrument panel for any of the '73-'79 dash configurations (so there'll be green ones for the turn signal indicators, red ones for the brake warning light, etc., a blue one for the later-model years that have a blue high-beam indicator, and a number of the warm whites for illumination), and the kit includes diagrams that show bulb locations and polarity. I had one more 194 illumination bulb than I needed for the dash in my '74, and used it for the gear shifter illumination. The base of each bulb is marked with a line on the positive side so you know which way to install them. Overall, it's a pretty nice kit and I'm happy with it. The only downside, I'd say, is that although they say they're dimmable, it's not really smooth over the whole range: they go from off directly to a little more than half the full brightness, but are dimmable over the top part of the range. But I usually end up leaving them at max brightness anyhow, so it's not a huge deal. They're brighter than the original incandescents, but not overpowering.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:52 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaul
Yes, I used their kit. Mine are "Elite" in factory color. Factory color is their "warm white" bulb, and I bought a couple of extras - an extra 194 base for the heater controls, and one with a bayonet base for the headlight/wiper switch illumination. The kit comes with enough to do the full instrument panel for any of the '73-'79 dash configurations (so there'll be green ones for the turn signal indicators, red ones for the brake warning light, etc., a blue one for the later-model years that have a blue high-beam indicator, and a number of the warm whites for illumination), and the kit includes diagrams that show bulb locations and polarity. I had one more 194 illumination bulb than I needed for the dash in my '74, and used it for the gear shifter illumination. The base of each bulb is marked with a line on the positive side so you know which way to install them. Overall, it's a pretty nice kit and I'm happy with it. The only downside, I'd say, is that although they say they're dimmable, it's not really smooth over the whole range: they go from off directly to a little more than half the full brightness, but are dimmable over the top part of the range. But I usually end up leaving them at max brightness anyhow, so it's not a huge deal. They're brighter than the original incandescents, but not overpowering.

How long have you had them? Do you think there is any risk of these damaging the gauges/panel?

Old 09-24-2015, 03:37 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
I haven't had them long, so can't speak to longevity - just put them in a few months ago. No risk of damage that I can see - they simply insert into the factory bulb holder just like a 194 light bulb would.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:11 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
The lights work fine but they aren't really all that much brighter than the stock 194s. As for the gauges not working I'm hoping its just a fuse that blew due to the higher amps that LEDs require. I'll check it all out this weekend.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:17 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
I might add the gauges worked fine before. Initially I tried changing the two bulbs without pulling the panel. Its doable but a pain on the hands. Got the left one changed and then the gauges stopped working, so I yanked the whole panel so NO the plug to the printed circuit was not reversed.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:09 AM
bkaul
Posting Guru
LEDs draw a lot less power than incandescents - if you blew a fuse, it was by shorting something, not from the power draw from the bulbs.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:02 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
I'll be looking into that this weekend. If there's a ground wire that maybe came apart when I was taking it apart, hope I find it. That may be all that's wrong with the gauges not working.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:09 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
The fuse was why the gauges didn't work. I upped it from a 5 to a 7 amp

Old 09-26-2015, 11:28 PM
Old Brown Truck
Senior User
I just installed the Hi Po parts Elite kit, and it worked fine without fuse issue. I did have to play 50/50 with polarity. They only work oriented one way. So 50/50 that I inserted them correctly. If it didn't light up, turn it over. My kit didn't have enough to do the heater control or Light/Wiper ... I've ordered some 194s in bulk so I can also convert my tach and 4 aftermarket gauges.