1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 07:40 AM
rockfarmer9
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case issue

Yesterday, 99F250, 5.4, pulling small tractor on trailer, turn into driveway, tried to put in 4hi, to pull hill. wound up could not get into 4hi, nor back in 2hi, sometimes while moving the manual transfer lever, I hear a whining whirring noise? Had to take tractor off trailer, pull truck, and trailer up to house. Need direction as to possibly what and why?

Old 09-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Do you have manual locking hubs or the stocker yet?

If there is strain from having the hubs locked in (front tires fighting rear tires) this will sometimes not allow the transfer case to shift.

With the transmission in neutral and engine off see if you can move the transfer case shifter. If not try rolling the truck back and forth some and see if the case lever will shift while rolling the truck some.

If it is real bad jack up one of the front tires to take a load off the case and then try shifting it again.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:29 AM
rockfarmer9
5th Wheeling
transfer case issue

Non manual front hubs. It wont even go back into 2hi. Like the transfer case is in neutral.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Do you have manual locking hubs or the stocker yet?

If there is strain from having the hubs locked in (front tires fighting rear tires) this will sometimes not allow the transfer case to shift.

With the transmission in neutral and engine off see if you can move the transfer case shifter. If not try rolling the truck back and forth some and see if the case lever will shift while rolling the truck some.

If it is real bad jack up one of the front tires to take a load off the case and then try shifting it again.

This this this. Tried to rep ya, but no go.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:34 AM
rockfarmer9
5th Wheeling
When I tried to go to 4hi, I was on flat ground, getting ready to go up hill. Truck has been pulled forward, and backwards, so I don't think it is under stress. Does this thing have some motor or something that changes the transfer case gears, like I stated, when moving the lever, I get a whirring noise? Not sure what you meant by tried to rep me? Thanks Terry

Old 09-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I was trying to rep Snowseeker, sorry about the confusion. "Repping" adds to the reputation of the person, usually for giving out great info, or saying something funny/witty.

Did you try Snowseekers suggestions besides moving the truck back and forth?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:04 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have a manual 4WD pull lever on the floor or ESOF switch on the dash? (Electronic Shift on the Fly)? If electronic you may have a cooked shift motor. In which case you remove the motor and manually move the fork to 2WD with the truck up on jack stands so you can rotate the wheels. Then replace the motor or repair the connection which ever has failed.
If its manual shift, the linkage may be at fault. How many miles on the drive train? Read your manual too. You could just be missing something in the procedure? Or you have a failed xfer case. If none of the above works. Drop the fluid and look at its condition and for evidence of metal. Has the xfer case ever been serviced (e.g. oil changed)? Might have lost the chain or one of the gears/sprockets? But lets start with the simple stuff above before going to catastrophic failure.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:11 AM
rockfarmer9
5th Wheeling
Thanks for the rep lesson. I am a 57 year old fellow and some of the lingo goes over my still have my hair head! No I haven't tried jacking it up yet, just trying to get informed before tackling the issue today. Not sure how to put my arsenal of trucks on here, so everyone can see how I spend my cash that I squirrell away from the better half. 50 F1 driving for 34 years, 74 F100, 79 150 4x4, 85 150 4x4, 99 250 4x4.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 AM
rockfarmer9
5th Wheeling
I have the manual lever in the floor. Mileage about 74k, but truck came from state dept at Boone NC where they have right much snow, and the truck has rust abundently underneath. The lever is real hard to move. Probably need to get it up and see if I can free up the mechanism, just looking for any advice, before jumping in.
Thanks Terry

Old 09-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
If they haven't changed the design since the 90's the shift levers do like to sieze up when they get rusty or dry where they are supposed to slide up and down in order to get the shift lever "over the neutral hump". It is where you would push the lever down "into the floor" some to shift past 4hi threw neutral and then lift the lever (supposed to spring up on its own) to continue onto 4 low. Is this how yours was/is? If it is sometime you have to manually pull up on the shift lever to get it to "spring back" after passing neutral.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:53 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get at it with a can of PB Blaster or Castles Thrust. Salve it up real good and actuate the hell out of it with the truck off. Ill bet its just frozen up and needs a good lube. Jeeps do this too.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:11 PM
rockfarmer9
5th Wheeling
Still trying to resolve this issue. I took the transfer case manual shift mechanism off, and took it apart, polished up the shafts, greased it, and got it back on the truck today. It is working smoothly. Truck is in the air. Went from 2hi to 4hi, then 4lo, had to start it up to get it back in 2hi. Put in drive rear wheels spinning. Applied brakes, put in reverse, wheels not turning. Can not get wheels turning again. In 2hi, with tranny in drive, rear wheels turning in reverse, but can put hand on wheel and stop the rotation? Any ideas?

Old 09-30-2015, 07:32 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
There might be a chance your transmission gave up the ghost. When you put the trans in park the tires lock up good and can't be moved with the transfer case in any gear?

If you get good tire lock up with the transfercase in any gear and the tans in park but can't get the truck to move under its own power with the transmission the trans very well could be the culprit. If the case was the fault it would slip in gear AND in park.

Is the fluid full in the transmission? Is it red or burnt? Is the OD light flashing on the shifter?

Old 09-30-2015, 07:36 PM
rockfarmer9
5th Wheeling
Snowseeker, thanks for your reply. Before I cleaned up the manual shift mechanism for the transfer case, it did not "hold" in park. Now it holds in park, or at least I couldn't turn the wheels in park the one time I tried to turn them yesterday. Fluid is full, and looks normal. The OD light does not flash, it is either off, or on steady after hitting button. So if I read your info correctly, if the wheels lock up in park with the transfer case in any gear, then transfer case is not the culprit? I definitely need to figure out whether the tranny or case is the problem, to determine my direction to repair. Then to figure out whether to go salvage yard, or repair shop?

Old 10-20-2015, 08:38 AM
rockfarmer9
5th Wheeling
Well after a 2500 dollar transmission rebuild, the problem is solved. Since the problem first started when I tried to shift into 4hi, I thought maybe the problem was in the transfer case. After talking to a trans shop, and describing the above problems, it was determined to be trans. I am back up and running again. Just wanted to add this info, hate reading these posts, and you never find out the final results. The rebuild cost an extral 300 due to went with a heavier duty converter due to I do pull a tractor and etc. Also a 125 tow bill, which was over 30 miles. Thanks to all, and to all a great day!

Quick Reply: Transfer case issue