1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked!! And now have a tire rubbing issue...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Scott Jackson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrecked!! And now have a tire rubbing issue...HELP!

Hey guys! I'm new here and am looking for a bit of advice/help. I bought a 2000 f250 Lariat SCLB 7.3L PSD 4x4 a couple months ago and had an accident with it a couple weeks ago. It is in the shop getting fixed right now but there is a slight issue with the new wheels and tires.

The wheels are XD Badlands 18x9 with -12 offset and backspacing of 4.53. The tires are 275/70/18 so approx 33x11". The shop has only got the drivers side front tire mounted and noticed that when turned all the way to the left the edge of the tire rubs on the back of the wheel well liner. the fender isnt back on the truck yet so when that goes on it might pull the liner in a bit but we dont think it will be enough to eliminate the rubbing.

My question is whether or not a leveling kit will help (if the truck isnt already leveled please look at the pics below and help me figure out my suspension setup!)

Old 09-22-2015, 07:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I will chime in here. It appears the rear has a mild lift on it.

I cannot tell that the front does..

A simple leveling kit to make the front level with the rear will be good.

Wait for others with more experience with the bigger tires though.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:25 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I know you said the truck is a 2000 but the front leaf spring design with the top leaf bent high like yours so there's a big gap is a 99 model year setup. Maybe the truck is a early build 2000 and still has the 99 setup. Either way the suspension is bone stock Ford Super Duty. No bigger blocks or leafs added to give it a lift. Now with the drivers tire hitting the rear liner, COULD be because the fender isn't on so the inner liner is just sagging BUT it could be because the truck got hi hard in the drivers front and from the knuckle snapping like it did and the damage I see in the pics I'd say the frame could be bent slightly and pushed ha k towards the cab, did the shop do a frame jig to see if the frames square and not out of whack? If not go to a new shop immediately

Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Scott Jackson
New User
The frame is perfectly square. they found no deflection in it whatsoever. the body of the truck didnt take much of a hit, it was all in the wheel. so do you think a mini spring pack underneath will help with the rubbing? the truck is supposed to go in for allignment on Thursday so I want to figure this out asap

Old 09-22-2015, 08:41 PM
Scott Jackson
New User
also whats the difference between the 99 & 2000 suspension? just the springs?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:01 PM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back spacing is not going to change by lifting the front.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I took it the back spacing was not the problem.

the diameter of the new tire was the issue?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey man, send me a PM. Yours are not turned on yet. I have an idea for you to try.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:15 AM
POS Camaro
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last owner of my 2004 F250 CC/SB put a set of 285-75/16 tires on my truck. They are also about 33" tall and rubbed the inner liner from turning lock to lock. It doesn't rub anything metal and being in SC, salt doesn't get to the fender. There are damaged areas to the liner, but nothing that I am concerned about and just run it with the stock suspension. I won't worry too much about it.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:24 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
My 285s nearly rub the rear of the liner. I wonder if your tires simply aren't a hair too big. I read somewhere in a Ford forum where someone devised a way to pull the liner back a bit more using bolts, to give it a tiny bit more room.

I would install both wheels and be sure that both rub equally, and that might put your mind at ease about any lingering frame/body/axle misalignment.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:22 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I had 285 75r16 on my f350 and my dads 2000 f350 diesel (stock suspension ) and never was close to rubbing. I have 2" front leaf springs now and even more clearance, I had 35" tires on for a few weeks just to see if I liked them and they didn't rub t even even when off-road. These SD clear 285 with no problem there is something wrong with the backspacing or front end on the truck

Old 09-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My personal opinion is folks shouldn't mess with the original dynamics (lifts, oversized tires, etc.) but if you must then why not simply Remove the liners?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:16 PM
ebbnflow
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I had to put a 2" leveling kit to clear my 33x12.5x20. Not sure on my back spacing but my tires stick out about 1" past fenders.

I am running a 35x12.5x20 now. To get there I had to do some "trimming" to avoid spending $$ on a lift.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:26 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats a pretty good punch to the nose to snap off the knuckle. When they checked the frame did they also check the suspension? The frame could be fine but the unsprung items could very well be tweaked. e.g. front axle pushed back on the damaged side and the opposite effect on the passengers side.
Measure center to center from the front hubs to the rears then do an X pattern off a datum point on the front n rear axles. Not telling you or your body/frame guys how to do their jobs just making sure someone didn't overlook something...were human. The front end alignment will pick it up if its a good alignment shop versed in HD truck. They should do a 4 wheel alignment check. Just nice to catch this before it leaves the body shop. Less inconvenience for you.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:48 PM
Scott Jackson
New User
Okay so the rubbing issue was fixed. both sides barely rubbed so we just shimmed them back a little bit. the axle sits straight (pin through axle and leaf springs wasn't bent or sheared) and we were able to do an alignment on the truck, the problem now is that the steering linkage actually hits the leaf spring on the left side (picture below). If you stab the gas pedal with the wheel all the way to the left it will lift the front end enough to allow the linkage to sit on top of the leaf spring and you can turn the wheel another 1/2 turn but when you straighten the wheel you can feel that corner drop back down.

My guess is steering box, shop will be taking it all back apart this week to hopefully figure it out. any other ideas? Linkage is all new MOOG parts.

Quick Reply: Wrecked!! And now have a tire rubbing issue...HELP!