1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

With Autoenginuity, can you shut the injectors off individually on a 7.3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:53 AM
GDSchafer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With Autoenginuity, can you shut the injectors off individually on a 7.3?

With Autoenginuity, can you shut the injectors off individually on a 7.3? Trying to determine the cause of a white smoke/unburnt fuel at idle issue without pulling the injectors and having them bench tested. I did a Google search but couldn't come up with a surefire answer, don't want to drop the $350 on the software if its not going to do what I need. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2015, 06:11 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, there is no software that can do that. It can be done with an injector breakout box or by unplugging the wiring connector from each injector individually.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:19 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
It won't shut off the injector, but it will look at the Cylinder Rotational Velocity and conduct a buzz test on each hole. If you have a partial or full misfire at idle, the CRV will show a discrepancy in the time it takes for a cylinder to advance the cam. No matter what scan tool you buy, it can't perform the function of an injector breakout box on a 7.3L - the command is not available in the PCM/IDM. We are stuck with using some old-school (and sometimes rather clever) techniques for troubleshooting specific issues on the engine.

In your case, a Cody test might be the first call when you don't have a scan tool - that would be a good search here on the forum. I have the "classic" AE v10, and it has helped me on countless occasions to find many woes - including a broken #7 wire in the valley two days ago. It took me 5 minutes to find the root cause of the problem after hooking up AE.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:32 AM
GDSchafer
New User
Originally Posted by Tugly
It won't shut off the injector, but it will look at the Cylinder Rotational Velocity and conduct a buzz test on each hole. If you have a partial or full misfire at idle, the CRV will show a discrepancy in the time it takes for a cylinder to advance the cam. No matter what scan tool you buy, it can't perform the function of an injector breakout box on a 7.3L - the command is not available in the PCM/IDM. We are stuck with using some old-school (and sometimes rather clever) techniques for troubleshooting specific issues on the engine.

In your case, a Cody test might be the first call when you don't have a scan tool - that would be a good search here on the forum. I have the "classic" AE v10, and it has helped me on countless occasions to find many woes - including a broken #7 wire in the valley two days ago. It took me 5 minutes to find the root cause of the problem after hooking up AE.
I should explain, I purchased a used set of remanufactured injectors off of Craigslist as I did not have enough $ at the time for a new clutch and new injectors. The truck now starts excellent (would not start on old injectors unless plugged in) and runs great as well. I have put over 1k miles on them so far. Its just at idle, mainly on cold starts, that it leaves a nice white haze when idling. While the old injectors were in there I was not getting any smoke/haze which leads me to believe it is an issue with the ones I installed.

Originally Posted by Pikachu
No, there is no software that can do that. It can be done with an injector breakout box or by unplugging the wiring connector from each injector individually.
Never heard of a injector breakout box before, looks interesting and should accomplish what I am looking to do for a fraction of the price. Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Mystery sticks! Oh fun. I don't suppose you know the code, capacity, and nozzle size. You may need the truck tuned to the sticks, but the tuner will need to know the specs on the injectors.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:13 PM
GDSchafer
New User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Mystery sticks! Oh fun. I don't suppose you know the code, capacity, and nozzle size. You may need the truck tuned to the sticks, but the tuner will need to know the specs on the injectors.
Well supposedly they are stock remans. This plate was on top of all of them, I tried to figure out what company attaches that to there remanufactured injectors but have not had any luck narrowing it down

Old 09-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GDSchafer
Never heard of a injector breakout box before
People make these from old Loom.