1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

95+ taillights on 93

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Jmanb13
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95+ taillights on 93

When I got my van both rear tail lights were smashed out. I picked up a couple lights at the local junkyard a while back. I didn't notice until I was installing them that they are the 95+ lights with the integrated brake and turn signal rather than 3 seperate lights.

I'm trying to figure out if its possible to wire up the 95 lights into the 93 harness.

If I splice the turn signal wiring into the brake light it works great in all situations except when the brakes are on at the same time as the turn signal.

Is there a switch/relay somewhere on the 95+s that lets the turn signals override the brake lights? Or is the wiring built into the multifunction switch on the column? Any thoughts on making this work?

Old 09-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Jmanb13
Senior User
So I take it no one has done this before

From looking at wiring diagrams it looks like this functionality is 100% controlled via the steering column switch.

If i figure it out I will report back.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Jmanb13
Senior User
So I have made progress on this.

The difference between the 92-94 tail lights and the 95+ taillights is in the way the taillight is wired from the multifunction switch. The multifunction switch is identical between the years. In fact the multifunction switch is the same between almost all of fords cars throughout these years.

In 92-94 the rear turn signals are wired in parallel with the front turn signals on their own circuit. Pins 2 and 3 of the multifunction switch run both front and rear turn signals. The brake switch is wired directly to the lights and does not go through the multifunction switch for the lights on the van.

However, the brake switch does go through the multifunction switch and out to the trailer wiring through pins 5 and 9. Pins 5 and 9 in the multifunction switch are the pins that are internally switched to either do brake OR turn.

In 95+ only the front turn signals are on pin 2 and 3. The rear turn signals go through pins 5 and 9 which are the trailer wiring pins. Again 5 and 9 are the pins that internally switch between brake or turn. They just split these wires into the ones that run to the trailer harness and ones that run to the van brake/turn.

If anyone cares I can post the "proper" harness diagrams from the ford service manual for 93 and for 95+ (not the incorrect ones from the haynes/chilton manuals)

Now the issue for me is.... My van did not come with a towing package so my main harness does not even have the provisions for trailer wiring. Starting a different thread on that subject.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:44 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Generally when trying to adapt wiring configurations such as your project having EVTM's from the different years makes this a lot easier. Ford is a bit tricky for reasons only they know about changing or relocating one or two wires in circuits like your rear lights, not knowing that can trip a person up or cause all sorts of confusion.

Along with your new project of trailer wiring an EVTM for your specific year and chassis would be very helpful.

Thanks for updating us!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Jmanb13
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
Generally when trying to adapt wiring configurations such as your project having EVTM's from the different years makes this a lot easier. Ford is a bit tricky for reasons only they know about changing or relocating one or two wires in circuits like your rear lights, not knowing that can trip a person up or cause all sorts of confusion.

Along with your new project of trailer wiring an EVTM for your specific year and chassis would be very helpful.

Thanks for updating us!
I have the EVTM for my year That is how i figured out the wiring and how its different. I actually took your suggestion from another wiring thread I found on here and bought one from ebay. They are SUPER useful, so useful in fact, i bought one for my 2012 Mustang GT, just in case I might need it someday

Through reviewing the EVTM that is also how i figured out that my vehicle has ZERO wiring for the trailer except for the 2 that are directly attached to pin 5 and 9 at the multifunction switch. I haven't found where those connect to just yet, but i'm pretty sure its just a open socket somewhere up under the dash or in the engine compartment.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:42 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Let me try helping make a bit more sense of the EVTM, sorry if this comes across as too pedantic.............

I'm looking at an EVTM from '97, your's might be similar which would be uber-lucky. Cell 90-1 shows Turn/Stop/Hazard Lamps which includes a block diagram of the MFS---connector #C250 is the output or signal portion from where your added trailing wiring harness would send voltage to the van's trailer connection, typically near the hitch or receiver.

From that view follow the needed circuits through the entire wiring harness of the van and notice along the way there will be other connectors labeled to aid troubleshooting or tracing any one circuit. For example in my '97 EVTM from the connector C250 at the MFS and leading back to the rear lamps you'll pass through C228F-C228M to C203F-C203M to S232 and finally to C410 that is the connector just behind the left rear light housing.

I mention the connector numbers because looking towards the back of the EVTM in Component Location Views you can find the approximate place on the chassis or frame those can be found. This becomes useful knowing if any one connector is under the dash, somewhere along and inside the body, in the engine bay etc etc.

If you already know and have used this info forgive me for the eye-bleed---if not it might be helpful locating your connection points.

And then if you want to totally waste more time with wiring we could discuss changing, adding or removing wire locations within any one connector in ways to following your existing year's schematics.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Jmanb13
Senior User
Any info you can post is useful and appreciated. It took me a while of looking at the diagrams but i did figure out how they go together. As far as the wiring, the 93 EVTM is different from the 97 specifically in the area we are discussing

Here is the wiring of the turn signals. Page 90-1 and 90-2. I highlighted the Pins I mentioned in my previous post in yellow. You can see that 2 and 3 go to both front and back of the LH and RH signals but are not switched between brake and turn. You can also see that the Brake wiring (90-2 not highlighted) goes directly to the rear brake lights without going through the MFS.

In a internet pic i saw of a 95+ diagram (3rd and 4th pic), Pin 9 and 5 go to both the rear turn signal/brakes and the trailer wiring harness. Pin 9 and 5 are switched between brake and turn and go on to the engine compartment fuse panel (blue).

I haven't yet determined if anything exists past C206 because that is when it goes into the giant mess underneath the dash. If C212 exists it is wrapped up in the big mess of the main harness in the engine compartment. But I know for sure that C100, C409, and C422 DO NOT exist on my van, and the fuses for the trailer light do not exist in the engine compartment fuse panel (blue)

So bottom line it looks like to do both the turn signal/brake and the trailer harness is going to be one and the same, and completely custom starting at C206 back.

92-94

92-94

95+

95+

Old 10-09-2015, 01:05 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Okay great----you understand how the EVTM's are laid out--perfect. (A bit of a learning curve to them but OMG how handy are they once we've found that Rosetta stone huh?

To find C212 follow the Component Location drawings near the back of the EVTM, in this case its Page 151-8, the connector should be close to the intersection of grid co-ordinates A & 10.

Following the 151 Series pages will be a Location Index which might be easier to find---they might start with 152 etc. This gives a rough idea of the area of the van you'll find C212. In my '97 it shows that numbered connector on the instrument cluster, center.

Yes the various years are different but by now we're talking mostly where stuff can be found via the EVTM's.

I'm not sure where you'll tap into the factory vehicle wiring harnesses for your custom piece but am I wrong thinking furthest back (near the T/L's) would be best? That's just curiosity----locate it where you feel is best for your needs.

Anyway hope some of this is helpful. If we get too deep I'll PM my phone and we could yak more and in real time.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Jmanb13
Senior User
I have looked in the back at the component locations and C212 is in the engine compartment in the area of the engine compartment fuse panel. The issue is finding the connector. In that part of the engine compartment there are about 4 layers of wiring diagrams overlapping each other and when I actually look in the engine compartment i'm not finding the connectors.

When I look up C212M part number (12A581), it is basically the main harness part number, This is the part number that has different applications (without tow, with tow, with DRL, etc)

So my guess is that the wires out of C206 connect to 2 pins on the main harness connector from inside the vehicle and since my van did not come with the factory tow, my assumption is those 2 wires terminate at that point and they are just empty slots in the main wiring harness.

Here is the location. It looks like the main giant harness connection where all the wires from the engine compartment terminate. In my engine compartment at that location, all I can see is the giant grouping of wires that goes from inside the cab, to the engine compartment.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:26 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
You're 100% on the right track---having the van and EVTM together make this so much "easier".

BTW I'll trying copying an image of my '97 EVTM Location Index so you can see the difference. I believe your era (pre-1997) are a bit easier to read and follow----mine not so much.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Jmanb13
Senior User
So to bring this back. I figured out how to accomplish this. It was really quite easy once I had pondered over it for a while. If anyone does this in the future you can reference this.

I know this is kind of overkill as I could just buy 92-94 tail lights, but I like the single color tail lights better than the yellow/red tail lights. I'm posting this as a reference if anyone ever finds this post later on down the line and is attempting to do the same thing.

So first off a warning. This might seem overwhelming due to the number of wires that you are looking through, so this isn't for the faint of heart. You are really only messing with 2 wires, but when its mixed in with the 50 other wires that are under the dash it can seem very difficult.

First thing to do is cut and splice the wires shown in the following pictures.

To do this you will need to do the following.

Locate the wires behind the driver kick panel. You will have to remove the kick panel and the door foot sill then carefully remove all the tape and wrapping around the wiring bundle.

For the LH Rear signal.
Find the LG/O wire coming from the rear of the van (this goes to the turn LH rear Turn Signal and the wiring runs under the door foot sill). Normally this wire will splice in with the LG/W coming from the steering column. The process is to cut the LG/O coming from the rear as close to the LG/W splice as possible. Then Connect the LG/O coming from the rear to the LG/O from the column. I used a short 6" piece of primary wire to do this so that I could bundle the wires up afterwards and not have a single wire that was too short to bundle sticking out.

For the RH Rear signal.
Find the O/LB wire coming from the rear of the van (this goes to the turn RH rear Turn Signal and the wiring runs under the door foot sill). Normally this wire will splice in with the W/LB coming from the steering column. The process is to cut the O/LB coming from the rear as close to the W/LB splice as possible (in my kick panel this was really far up in the bundle going ot the firewall, so i just cut it as close as I could get and still be able to crimp). Then Connect the O/LB coming from the rear to the O/LB from the column. I used a short 6" piece of primary wire to do this so that I could bundle the wires up afterwards and not have a single wire that was too short to bundle sticking out.

Once that is down, your 92-94 turn signals will basically act like brake/turn lights. The next part is basically removing the tail lights and splicing the single wire going to the turn signal down to the tail light wiring.

LH Turn signal splice

RH Turn signal splice