Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4R100 dead after 255k

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:45 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel you guys pain also...Tranny and flex plate went south, when I get it back brakes are grinding a little..replace with braided lines powerstop calipers and EBC green stuff. Couple days later both power steering hoses go south and leak all over the driveway! Running good now, no leaks, but got a small knocking noise in the front end..probably just a loose sway bar checking it out tomorrow!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:19 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Chunks of the turbine wheel are in my muffler rattling around. Gonna have to fish those out...and I have a GTP38 WW2 coming from RiffRaff tomorrow to boot. Gonna have to send that back now. I guess I can put the JW valve body in tomorrow since it ain't going anywhere for a few days now.

The shaft is still intact from compressor to turbine, but the center cartridge is shot and both wheels took a beating in the 5 miles to my house from where it failed. I guess they weren't kidding when they said the stocker couldn't handle 25+ pds boost for very long.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i was reminded that im getting older as i struggled to lift the np208 tcase into position the other day, in my 20s i would just whip it up there on my back, but now i had to throw some knee in too...

Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 AM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4R100 dead after 255k

Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Clear Lake, behind the high school down on Bay Area Blvd.

I feel you on wallet beatings. Turbo went, then a rim got a crack so I bought new ones and they need new tires... Still doing ball joints part 2 and both wheel bearings and brake calipers were bad.... Bleh.
Nice to know there are some members near me. I'm in Manvel.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:44 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicmike
... I guess they weren't kidding when they said the stocker couldn't handle 25+ pds boost for very long.
Nope, they sure can't...

Originally Posted by Pwrgeek
If you ever need a hand with something or want to meet'n'greet, I'm usually free. Only exceptions are the weekends when I have my daughter

Old 10-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Originally Posted by Pwrgeek
Yeah, you have a lot of folks near you. Mueckster is near you as well, as he is over in Damon/Rosharon. One of the most knowledgeable people out there on the 7.3L and the 4R100.

Matt, mine wasn't quite that bad, but only because I was close to home. The giant, white, burnt-oil, smoke cloud behind me was really pissing everyone off that was stuck behind me. LOL When I heard the rattling sound sitting at a stop light, I was terrified it was my Torque Converter. Thank goodness it is "only" chunks of the turbine in the muffler...

Old 10-06-2015, 01:46 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Thanks for the trans info. I figure sooner or later I'll be replacing mine.

I don't feel so bad about my lil ol ejected spark plug, peanuts compared to turbo issues.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Ok, I think I can put this thread to rest now. I have one more part number for the 4x4 guys:

The gasket between the 4x4 housing and the transfer case
Name:  20151009_194140.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  1.35 MB

The HD4R100 was super smooth from Ford. One can barely feel the shifts, and it is fantastic going down the road. Now that I have added the JW valve body, each shift can be felt, and they are SUPER quick. It is not harsh, just like others have said, but they are certainly felt. I imagine those quick shifts will pay dividends over the life of the transmission. The triple disc torque converter absolutely makes a difference. I can feel the difference going up through the gears. It feels totally different than the stock single disc I had in the old tranny. Lock up happens lickity split. No more dragging it out across the 45-50 mph acceleration range.

I got the 38R I bought off Bob in today, and I am very pleased with it as well. Very glad I have the AIS, as that thing whistles dixie just idling! I cannot imagine running that turbo with a 6637. No way I could deal with that. Additionally, I can FEEL the truck does not have to work as hard to accelerate with the 38R. I am getting the same boost numbers I had with the stock turbo on my gauge, but I am running stock sticks as well.

Fingers crossed that I did not miss anything on the R&Rs and these things live a LONG TIME in my truck.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Glad it's coming back together for ya.

The 38R is LOUD with the 6637, it was annoying the first week then I got used to it.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:31 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Glad to hear that everything is back together and working again!
And thank you for the feedback on the JW valve body changes in shift performance.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:27 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I do have one question, I have 258'xxx on my 2000 X with original trans, would the JW valve body do any good at this point? I have owned it since new.

Glad you had success with everything! Well everything except you wallet.
Just be thankful you don't have a 6.0 or your shop could look like this someday!

Old 10-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
My 7.3 will look like that come spring

Old 10-11-2015, 11:01 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Keep me out of it. I'd rather do ball joints again.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Keep me out of it. I'd rather do ball joints again.
You know you want in on the action....

Old 10-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Originally Posted by jdw1
I do have one question, I have 258'xxx on my 2000 X with original trans, would the JW valve body do any good at this point? I have owned it since new.
I don't have first hand experience with swapping out valve bodies on an older, more experienced transmission, but I have heard others say they replaced the torque converter AND valve body on older transmissions and kept them going for lots more miles without rebuilding the tranny. I would think replacing both would be a must, since the single disc, stock TC is what is most likely to put you in the market for a new tranny (like mine did). I didn't tear mine apart to check the clutches and steels inside, but it was shifting just fine up until the day the TC went out and killed it. I feel strongly (after reading a lot about trannies and the experience of others) that if I would have changed that TC a couple of months ago, or even last year, my tranny would still be going strong right now. It is one of those things that can only be realized with hindsight though, unless you are very proactive and have some extra $$$ laying around...

Quick Reply: 4R100 dead after 255k