Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Got a minute? Well... 1:18?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

While chasing stuff I feel in the truck, I've been going nuts with the camera while Stinky has been suspended in the air (jack stands). I figured while I was at it, I'd share the sounds of Stink - to see if anybody can pick out what I'm hearing. My video editing software sucks, I'm working out what's called a H264 codec for my computer. To the point - my YouTube contribution has no video - just text and raw audio.

So... if you feel you have good ears (and speakers/headphones), can you give Stinky a listen and hear if you can pick out what I hear live?

Old 09-20-2015, 05:10 PM
Slyhuntr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty cool sounds. I Haven't been around 7.3s enough to help, sorry.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:12 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,186 Likes on 815 Posts
Sound great.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:31 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Is the knock you are referring to about every 1/4 second or so?

Old 09-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
You got it... about the frequency of a valve.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hear a nice rhythmic knock/bang type noise, stink sounds like a CSX locomotive on a cold day being reved to the max just to get under way, I heard a tick about 1/4 second as well

Old 09-20-2015, 07:54 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Did you try a stethoscope on the VC or VC bolts? I'd be interested if it seemed loudest at the front of the engine on both sides.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
In the back and down low, next to #7.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:11 AM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My god you are too damn funny.

Neurotic is a good word for it...

Not knocking you, just funny to be off the site for 6-7-9 months and see the same old man, same old chasing a noise postings.

I may have a lot of gauges, but how the hell do you even drive worrying about every bump and squeak?

Old 09-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Gaugepro
My god you are too damn funny.

Neurotic is a good word for it...

Not knocking you, just funny to be off the site for 6-7-9 months and see the same old man, same old chasing a noise postings.

I may have a lot of gauges, but how the hell do you even drive worrying about every bump and squeak?
Update just for you. I dropped the whole issue in January or February, I can't remember. In fact... I dropped the whole truck - it was parked for 6 months, keys in the cupboard. I started using the truck again in earnest recently, and made note of what was wrong with the truck. I'm getting ready for my annual trip through your berg and three things took place:
  1. I finally started asking questions instead of just posting answers for 8 or 9 months.
  2. You show up after an extended absence.
  3. I found and/or fixed nearly all my truck vibrations without impedance or help from you.

Just divert your eyes when you see my name as the thread starter and this will be over quickly, or tell me if you hear it and know what it is, or set an appointment in your garage to look at "Stinky" Saturday morning, November 21st. Short of that, whine all you want - I'm going to find out if this is a "thing" that I need to save up for an engine. When real money like this is involved, I'm one of those that needs to know - because I don't borrow money or slap it on the card.

So you see... this is not a whine fest - this is financial planning.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:58 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Sounds a bit like mine when the oil gets old and dirty.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Its just you man... Your always looking for something to be wrong...

Yes, there is a bit of a knock, check rotational values and see if anything stands out. If something does, start there. Otherwise just drive it.

Honestly man, you can only worry and look for issues for so long before your going to find something... Or you can enjoy the truck, drive it and worry about it when it happens.

My truck... The very next morning on the way to work, cracked a piston...

Few weeks or months before that video...

Hear the knock... Drove it for another 30,000 miles... Motor had 270,000 when I put it in, low compression, blow by, still drove it for another 70,000 miles.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:35 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Its just you man... Your always looking for something to be wrong...

Yes, there is a bit of a knock, check rotational values and see if anything stands out. If something does, start there. Otherwise just drive it.

Honestly man, you can only worry and look for issues for so long before your going to find something... Or you can enjoy the truck, drive it and worry about it when it happens.
While that is a fine opinion and position to have, for you, Rich approaches things from a scientific "need to know" point of view and many of us have and continue to benefit from his efforts and of those of other like minded individuals.

In speaking with Rich on many occasions, I can tell you the high degree of satisfaction he gets when something he has had a part in working out (such as troubleshooting, correlating log data, etc) benefits another member.

He jokes about it being an "obsession" but if you know him, that is just him being humble. Many of us know it better as "altruistic"

At the end of the day, a great many members here at FTE are of this mindset, trying to help others. Sure, we all come here for help at times, but we try to share our experiences, pass along what we have learned, and even entertain the Brotherhood with pics, videos, stories of our own stupidity, etc

I don't think you meant it this way, but your posts could be considered mocking and a bit rude. Rich was quite reserved in his response, as is his way.

If you can appreciate and enjoy his posts and HIS threads, great, jump in and comment. If they are irritating to you, they are easy to avoid- every thread in the list had OP listed plainly.

Perhaps the name of this forum offers a clue. Enthusiasts.

I've even been known to be a bit compulsive myself at times about my Excursion

Old 09-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
While that is a fine opinion and position to have, for you, Rich approaches things from a scientific "need to know" point of view and many of us have and continue to benefit from his efforts and of those of other like minded individuals.

In speaking with Rich on many occasions, I can tell you the high degree of satisfaction he gets when something he has had a part in working out (such as troubleshooting, correlating log data, etc) benefits another member.

He jokes about it being an "obsession" but if you know him, that is just him being humble. Many of us know it better as "altruistic"

At the end of the day, a great many members here at FTE are of this mindset, trying to help others. Sure, we all come here for help at times, but we try to share our experiences, pass along what we have learned, and even entertain the Brotherhood with pics, videos, stories of our own stupidity, etc

I don't think you meant it this way, but your posts could be considered mocking and a bit rude. Rich was quite reserved in his response, as is his way.

If you can appreciate and enjoy his posts and HIS threads, great, jump in and comment. If they are irritating to you, they are easy to avoid- every thread in the list had OP listed plainly.

Perhaps the name of this forum offers a clue. Enthusiasts.

I've even been known to be a bit compulsive myself at times about my Excursion
After almost 10 years on this forum I've seen about everything... Sorry if I offend you, but since the day Tuggles came here its been one thread after another. I dont think the man has ever driven the truck and just enjoyed it...

Maybe I am wrong, but judging by my rep's I bet there are a lot that feel the same. I just happen to be vocal.

None the less, carry on, I'll leave unless someone asks for my input.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:01 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
After almost 10 years on this forum I've seen about everything... Sorry if I offend you...
Hey, I don't know you, some people's sense of humor is different and I don't claim to be the sharpest crayon in the box, so it could very well be my interpretation. See you on the other threads of the forum.

Quick Reply: Got a minute? Well... 1:18?