Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2012 front tiedown/recovery hook

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 10:12 AM
MichPete
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 front tiedown/recovery hook

Where do people attach a rope or strap to the front of a2012 Escape?

I just bought a used 2012 Escape Limited from the Ford dealer this month, and don’t see a way to attach to the front of the vehicle. I have a canoe that I would like to put on the roof rack, but I have always used at least one rope to tie down the front of the canoe. I traded ina 2004 Escape that had two tie down loops built in on the front. I used these for tie-downs, and also as a recovery connection a couple times when I got stuck in deep snow.

I have done quite a bit of searching on the internet, and have not found a solution. There MUST be somewhere to attach a hook to the “frame” because I know that people flat tow these vehicles behind motorhomes. There was also mention that a recovery loop is required in Europe, and the newer ones(2013+) have an eye bolt that screws in through a panel in the front bumper. Has anyone had the front bumper off of their escape and found a (left hand thread) hole? I would consider cutting a hole in my bumper if I knew there was a place to attach.

This seems like other people besides me would be concerned about this and want to use the roof rack for canoes or get into too much snow and need a tug.

Right now I plan to have someone weld an eye or something onto the frame piece that runs under the engine/trans. That will work for a canoe, but I am afraid it might rip off, or damage the frame when I hook up a tow strap.

If this has already been discussed please post a link to that thread.
Thanks for any response,
-Peter

Old 09-19-2015, 02:18 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
If it has the eyebolt attachment you will see a square piece in the bumper cover that will pop out. Our CX9 has it. After popping it out you just screw in the eyebolt and you're good.
Now whether or not it is there, I don't know. I have the 2004 with the dual tie downs like your previous one.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 AM
MichPete
New User
I looked and don't see any access panel on the bumper. I was hoping someone had a solution. I am concerned about welding to the sub-frame under the engine because I do not want to bend or weaken it.

Thanks for your response.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:26 PM
escape_ottawa
New User
I hope you found a solution, I use simple hose tie downs (pop the hood and put them in).

Something like
Amazon.com: Thule 530 Quick Loop Strap: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Thule 530 Quick Loop Strap: Sports & Outdoors
but I bought them at a local paddle shop for about $6 CDN there are also ones you can bolt under the existing bolts under the hood. Works very well, make sure you put knots as close to the strap or canoe as possible to avoid them from 'flapping' rapidly in the wind.

Hope this helps

Old 10-13-2015, 06:35 PM
MichPete
New User
Thanks for the reply. Those look like they would work well for Canoe. I ended up finding a couple holes in the bottom of a brace for the front bumper. I put a "pinch" nut on top, and a lock washer and jam nut on the bottom of a couple eyebolts. I haven't used them yet, but they feel stout enough for Canoe. They're certainly not going to take the pull of a tow strap, but at least I have a tiedown.

Last edited by MichPete; 10-13-2015 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Spelling