1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta change all 4 ball joints, any hints?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta change all 4 ball joints, any hints?

All 4 ball joints are bad on my rig. Gonna change em myself. I've never done it before so as you would expect, lots of questions. Any helpful hints? Tricks? To be honest I really would like someone to tell me it's possible without pulling the unit bearing, axle, rotor and caliper etc...... I will also be doing tie rod ends, drag link, basically EVERYTHING that could be leading my tires to cup and keep an alignment shop from doing an alignment. 4 shops have already told me everything is too screwed up to even attempt an alignment. Thanks in advance guys.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 PM
davester250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doing all 4, I would suggest either borrowing the right pressing tools for doing them or buying them [as I've tried local parts places that claim to loan tools, but they never have (as in, don't loan out, only sell) the tools I need to fix my truck. you can get them out with a bunch of effort without the right tools, but it just goes so much easier [relative to not having the right tools, as it's not always easy even with the right tools].

And I have no idea what other parts you need to remove to do the job. You probably should specify model/year/drivetrain you have to get info about that.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:51 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
It should all be in my signature I thought...... 2003 F350 cclb 4x4

Old 09-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Changed mine on my 01. It was a project. Since I was in there I replaced the u joints ,seals ,brake shields, etc..and every other thing in there wasn't goin back in . So think about that also. Used a ball joint tool from harbor freight. Worked good.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:58 PM
vortec 1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did my 2000,Get the seal press,its about 75.00 and worth every penny. It is a big job but not a big deal pulling the axles and make sure to buy the parts you feel are the best.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:15 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Literally everything on the front axle has to be disassembled to do this there's no way around it that I know of and is a good time to replace other parts while you have them out. I did my Dads 00 ball joints with a set of impact sockets and a big hammer.... Not very kosher but got it done, The correct tools are probably worth the money but Dad and I are kind of cheap.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:00 AM
davester250
Elder User
Originally Posted by varminthunter243
It should all be in my signature I thought...... 2003 F350 cclb 4x4
Sorry, nothing shows up for your sig

Old 09-19-2015, 01:15 AM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Ok, I'll have to look into tha missing signature deal. So I guess I'll explain my reasons for as little disassembly as possible; I ruined 2 tires on an elk hunt am so I'm on my spare and a plugged tire for the front of the truck. I need 2 new tires obviously but I don't want to put them on and ruin them as well with the sever cupping. I can swing for 2 tires and ball joints drag link tie rod end etc...... but not for all of the other parts I would like (and that you all recommend) to replace. And in my experience, tearing into assemblies that haven't been opened up in 12 years or so tends to be when parts get broken. So I guess I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a cheap place.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:44 AM
davester250
Elder User
Originally Posted by varminthunter243
Ok, I'll have to look into tha missing signature deal. So I guess I'll explain my reasons for as little disassembly as possible; I ruined 2 tires on an elk hunt am so I'm on my spare and a plugged tire for the front of the truck. I need 2 new tires obviously but I don't want to put them on and ruin them as well with the sever cupping. I can swing for 2 tires and ball joints drag link tie rod end etc...... but not for all of the other parts I would like (and that you all recommend) to replace. And in my experience, tearing into assemblies that haven't been opened up in 12 years or so tends to be when parts get broken. So I guess I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a cheap place.
At the top of the page, click the 'User CP', then click "Edit Signature'. It just worked for me [as in, I just added my sig and it shows up in new posts].

Old 09-19-2015, 06:45 AM
mushman
Senior User

Research and purchase what you believe is the best components you can afford. Take pictures and take more. Purchase or rent the PROPER tools. I have a shop with a lift it took me two days. I am slow, you can easily destroy things and cause yourself headaches. The correct tools make the job reasonable. Watch the videos, just google it.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:50 AM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
This should be an easier answer , and more to the point for you.
You tube, has videos that encompasses the procedure of super duty ball joints replacement.

In my opinion, and because I have had times, where I just could not afford to replace every thing , I also chose to replace what I needed, to get me on the road again safely.

Specialty tools , well there are times when you need them ,and times that you don't.

To get the spindle off the truck, 2 large 3-5 pound short handle sledge hammers is the specialty tool .

You can buy a ball joint press, to press the old ones out, and new ones in.
A shop will charge you more than the cost of the press, to do 2 , and you have 4.
Tie rod ends , removal is the same tools , 2 hammers .

I will look for a you tube link for you .

Yes the calipers need to come off, not off the fluid lines tho.

That is about as far , other than abs sensor line I can think of.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 AM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
you tube / 2004 super duty ball joint replacement

There are 3 parts to this , you may not like the music.
So turn it down if you don't.
This is done on a dually front end, all the same but easier on a single wheel.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:49 PM
vortec 1
Elder User
The problem is that you can tear everything down and just replace the ball joints but if you have other bad parts then they will probably not align the front end anyways and you will have the same problems of tire wear also the seals have to go back in properly and you can tear them up if you don’t have the tool. Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

Old 09-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Alta
Tuned
You can spend $500+ on labor or do it yourself. If you dont have a press, and/or any of the other tools you will need, you can buy them with e money you'll save on labor, and still be $$ ahead. You should also consider wheel bearings (complete hub assemblies these days) depending on the milage. I bought Timken - more expensive but seems more reliable.

Also you'll have your auto-hub vaccuum seals out (not sure what the proper term is for them) and re-using them might or might not work out for you so you should replace them while you're in there. If your u-jpints feel good Id leave them. I have a basic stand up 20 ton press that suffices for me but sometimes it's kind of cumbsersome setting up improvised press plates so the ball joint tool might be the best bet, although I get a lot ot other use out of my press. Thats about all I can think of. Pretty straight forward, but yes, it is a pretty thorough dissassembly.tie your calipers to the frame with big zip ties to prevent brake line damage or stress.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:14 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
It's not the labor I'm worried about so much as the cost of parts. I guess I'm just gonna have to save up and get the unit bearings too. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade so getting bloody and dirty ain't a big deal. Spent 6 hours today changing a leaky steering box in a 98 dakota so I'm gettin good with the puller that the local auto zone loans out haha now about the signature, I set mine up over a year ago, but now that I use my phone to get on fte, I notice I can't see anybody's signature........ anybody else have a similar result?

Quick Reply: Gotta change all 4 ball joints, any hints?