Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
READ THIS TOPIC:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...formation.html

EDIT: I've decided to quote the most relevant paragraph from the above page:

*Tip* Due to International's compatibility tests, all pre-2/2/99 build engines (pre-SN 940614) should use a conventional coolant with the addition of SCA (or a pre-charged conventional coolant already charged with SCA). Most conventional coolants will be green, "low-silicate" and meet ASTM D4985. There are too many brands to list. They will require the addition of a supplemental coolant additive (SCA) at initial fill and maintenance of that SCA thereafter. Most pre-charged conventional coolants will be pink, purple, or blue and meet ASTM D6210. These coolants do not require an initial dose of SCA, but will require SCA maintenance thereafter. These are coolants like Peak Fleet Charge, Prestone Heavy Duty, Zerex Precharge, Shell Diesel Ready, Fleetguard Fleetcool, Fleetrite Fully Formulated, and so on.
Is this still true?? Also: It seems very apparent to me that the formulation of Final Charge has been changing over the years. I do not know how recently the last major development and change occurred but I suspect it is very recent based on the date of the video

I haven't found an updated version of Gooch's information yet- if there is one:

If you are confused now you don't want to even see a chart with all of the engine coolants on the market various colors and the OEM manufacturers that approve them or vice-versa- You'll be really confused then!

YIKES, this all started out so simple!

Old 09-25-2015, 08:49 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
I have not read that whole topic yet, and if you didn't read down to post number 4, go right to it here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8935595

After reading that, Josh_Bear, I think you should stay with the Fleet Charge you have for now.

I won't be using 'Final Charge' until such time that I know from a very qualified source that it is perfectly fine to use it in our Pre-Powerstroke IDI's.

It may be so, I just haven't seen any confirmation that it is OK in the midst of warnings not to use it - specifically in a Powerstroke topic, not a Pre-Powerstroke topic so I just don't know for sure yet.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:11 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
OK, I skipped ahead in that topic to 2015 (time machine forward).

See this question post #237 and the reply #238 by Stewart_H who is the person conducting that topic with the original information from Gooch.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post14982340

Read the reply very carefully to be clear. 'By default' this suggests that using 'Final Charge' or other ELCs is not recommended for IDI's.

That specific reply does not offer proof but combined with the other information presented it's all that I have to go by and until I have some very qualified information showing otherwise I am accepting it for now and I'll probably use Fleet Charge or any of the other good brands (except I don't know if I can find them locally).

Old 09-25-2015, 09:50 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
That being said, the only MFR we have looked at here is PEAK and it won't surprise me at all if a number of other brands have the same technology. If that's the case then it goes back to who has the best marketing and advertising departments and who allocates the most money for THAT.

I intend to ask Stewart_H if there was any specific information that he saw pertaining to IDI's rather than just 'By default' which I think in that case really means "by assumption." I'll clarify the question for him if I get around to asking him in his topic. I'm burnt out on this topic for the time being.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:00 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
By the way, that topic was posted in the '1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel' forum but I don't know which forum the original Gooch material came from or when.

Sorry for so many posts here and some long ones.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:40 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Originally Posted by The_Josh_Bear
...I added a coolant filter after the flush and the stuff left over clogged 3 filters in short order so rinse the ever-living poo out of your system when you get after it.
I must ask, did you buy a filter housing kit? OR?

I think coolant filters are a great innovation but they are ugly and more added maintenance. Unfortunately I don't see any choice for what I want for my vehicle. *see* an option I found further below.

Personally, I think that filters that charge the system can be problematic too for technical reasons that I've read about, such as filtering out and depleting nitrite additives that are part of some (or all?) SCAs (a generic term, SCA's are not all the same). At this point, although a step in the right direction, I won't trust them unless they are designed for the specific coolant SCAs in the coolant I decide to use or that I know it's well matched. Yes this all becomes much more complicated than it should be if you want to know what is truly best for your truck. Especially when it is nearing 30 years old and no one cares while others wish the older diesels were all recycled for steel.

*This* is what I found and I really like it for reasons that should be obvious- ease of installation and maintenance which I especially need because this work is getting very hard for me.
http://www.northernfactory.com/UserF...structions.pdf

Very easy to install and maintain and even has a magnet like a Magnefine filter!

I don't care how often I have to clean it at first, I just hope my system isn't too bad. If it's -40F (below zero) in a blizzard with 60 mph winds (I've been in worse!) and it plugs up so I have no heat that won't be fun to correct but I could plan for that in advance and just remove the filter medium.

I hope it's not too expensive- I could probably make my own from over the counter parts.

Looks like a reputable company (link at the bottom of that page).

Yesterday was a rain day here so I spent all day Friday until 2:00 AM Saturday on the computer searching out answers for this coolant situation. That is why I made so many posts- sorry about that. Best thing for me was finding that small coolant filter. The rest was frustrating.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:36 PM
petepetersen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done some checking with one of the mfgs and found out that 2-Ethyl Hexanoic Acid (2EH) that was in the early ELC products attacked the seals in some engines. Apparently, it is no longer present in the newer HD ELC coolants that meet the Cummins specification CES 14603 . ( A tech rep for one mfg told me this change happened in 2012)

Peak Final Charge is one of them but there are many at this point.

Anyone here using ELC in their IDI ? Which one ?

Of course there is nothing wrong play it safe staying with conventional EG and SCA mix

Old 11-09-2015, 09:04 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy cow, some pretty intense reading on coolant.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:33 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OAT organic acid technology coolants should be avoided...ELC's most are OAT's chev was sued over the coolant dissolving intake gaskets on the 3.1 and 3.8 v6 OAT's are rumored to eat solder out of radds... good only in aluminum systems ??? I went with fleet charge 50/50