1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: This weekend @ Z-Max

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:27 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
OT: This weekend @ Z-Max

Have to brag about what Gary and I are doing this weekend! Sat we are going to Z-Max dragway in Charlotte (called the Bellagio of racing facilities and the only 4 lane 1/4 mile dragstrip in the world) for the NHRA Southern Nationals. My long time friend Mike Janis will be running his Camaro bodied ProMod. Mike is currently 1st in points since the US Nationals in Indy 2 weeks ago where he qualified 13th in the top 16 qualifiers out of 33 entries in the record largest number of entries and quickest PM field in history. Mike took his Supercharged alcohol burning Jan-Cen/Mike Janis Superchargers powered ride to the final elimination round where a hurt motor at the 1/8 mile ended his try for a 3rd "Wally" this season.

Mike runs out of his business in Lancaster, NY

Old 09-17-2015, 11:29 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Breaking news FLASH!: Mike Janis Racing posted this today

MJ getting comfortable in his new 2016 office while down in Charlotte!! The 2016 Camaro built by Wally Stroupe Race Cars will be making its debut at the 2016 PRI Show in the Strange Engineering booth! More details to follow in the coming weeks. Could the Janis stable be fielding 2 Pro Mod Camaro's in 2016?!?!!

Old 09-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
I'm sure you are a really nice guy.

You have extreme skills & technical knowledge which you freely share.

We all thank you for that.

But this is a Ford enthusiast site.

Continually waving the GM banner, cheer-leading & denigrating Ford engineering and the people who choose it is a sharp stick to the eye that many of us are very tired of despite your contributions.

This is called being "tone deaf". There is no GM site anywhere that would accept a member posting about a Ford powered Mustang (or touting Ford's superior engineering at every chance) in competition in such glowing (some would say fawning) terms with out some very ugly responses.

Please try & grasp this in the spirit intended & don't take your ball and go home.

Hope you have a good time.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ax it may be non- ford but it is interesting and involves cars/motors and all things involving the internal combustion engine. I think it's cool. Besides you know the guy and it's great to support him. Just because it's a Ford site doesn't mean we stick our heads in the sand and pretend there are not other makes doing neat things. To bad Ford didn't sponsor him with a mustang but they haven't really don't a lot of support recently.
I went to school with the Lorenzen brothers back when Fred drove the NASCar Ford and lived in Elmhurst. Even then it was a struggle some years to get what they needed from Ford. Have fun. Let us know how he did. It always good to have friends support you in ways you may not even know about.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:03 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
David, sorry to offend you. I don't "wave the GM banner" It just happens that Mike chose the Camaro body because it has the lowest wind resistence. (Besides, he didn't ask me before he chose it!) He has used Mustang, Dart, Corvette, ******, Pontiac bodies in the past, whatever meets the rules at the time, gives him even the slightest advantage at the time. it's all carbon fiber, no GM parts used. Even the engine is original design completely CNCed out of huge aluminum billets in his shop, it's probably closest in design to a Chrysler Hemi, not anything in common with a GM engine. He machines his own design superchargers, injector hats etc and supplies engines, superchargers etc to racers all over the world. Plus I am going to the event with a fellow FTE er.
I don't have ANY brand loyalties, I think that "blind brand loyalty" is narrow minded and stupid! I use what works and makes the most sense to me. If it came off a Yugo or a Pacer, or a Rolls Royce and I thought it was the best choice I'd use it, and/or recommend it to others! In fact I am about to recommend a part that came off an (heaven forbid I speak the name!!!) AMC/Chrysler to solve a member's problem! I call it like I see it.
I currently have a Pontiac Solstice race car. I chose it because it was the best choice for the class I wanted to run, not because of who made it. Prior to that I raced (working back from present) A Mazda Miata, a BMW Mini Cooper, Toyota Celica, and a Miata again. Do you see any sign of brand loyalty in that list? Before you say no Fords, Note that Ford is a majority owner in Mazda, and I previously owned an 87 and 94 Taurus DDs.

Thanks Dave,(49f3dls) that's why I posted what I indicated was OT. I am proud to call one of the nicest and most humble and hardest working guys in drag racing a long time friend.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:18 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
.... I think that "blind brand loyalty" is narrow minded and stupid!
I get it that you don't.

Good luck to your friend & I hope y'all have a good time.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:09 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
*****$ car brand was censored?!?!?! (had to use $ so it wouldn't get censored again...) Slap forehead smilie here Now it shows up again???

Old 09-18-2015, 04:51 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
After 2 round of qualifying: 1st round setup was too tight car went into tire shake at the hit so he clicked it off. @nd round a few minutes ago they softent the setup quite a lot to be sure it held to be sure they got into the field (top 16) Ran a 6.00@ 242 to move into 13th. not anywhere near what the car can run (high 5.80- 5.95 typical) but the MPH was respectable so it shows it was set up soft. So he is in the field at this point with one more qualifying round tomorrow early, then first round of eliminations is tomorrow afternoon. Mike went to the final round at Indy from 13th qualifier 2 weeks ago, so it's not an unlucky # for him even if he doesn't move up, we'll have to wait and see.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:58 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
13 is a lucky #. Hope he does well and you get to see him run. Please don't censor the results no matter what the outcome. I would really like to know even though I may be considered a smart a$$. (Notice the $ as I said that's just the way I am).
Have fun

Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
We'll get to see him make his 3rd qualifying run for sure and as long as he stays in the top 16 we'll see him run first round of eliminations tomorrow. Along with the final 2 qualifying rounds of Top Fuel, Funny car, Pro Stock, and a lot of runs of the sportsman classes. Last 3 rounds of eliminations are on Sunday. I don't know if we'll get back early enough to post tomorrow, but I'll definitely post the final results on Sunday. Weather looks great for the rest of the weekend.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:18 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Just to keep it "legal" here's a pic of when Mike ran a Mustang body:

I actually liked the look of this car really well.
And to show I have no brand prejudices, If someone would buy me one of these, I'd definitely race it!

Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
I would race anything on wheels if someone else was buying it. I did race a 60 MGA mkII had a 1600 cc engine and was a ball running around a track near Rockford il.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:08 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
The Miatas were only 1800 cc,, 140HP. My Solstice is only 2L (course it's turbod and direct injected for 260 HP.)
My days of being able to buy a new car specifically equipped to race and running it while it still has temp plates on it it has passed.
Well we are off to the races, see ya at the finish line!

Old 09-19-2015, 08:18 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Well no happy ending to this story
In the 3rd and final round of qualifying Mike put up a 5.88 run that was quickest time of the round and moved him in very respectable P 4/top 16. That set up first elimination round pairing vs Troy Coughlin (owner of Jegs for those who don't know) the # 13 qualifier and #2 in points behind Mike coming into this event. I'll let Mike tell what happened in his own (way understated) words: "Tough loss 1st round for MJR! Driver error when Troy Coughlin started to flicker the stage lights, we ended up starting to go up on 2-Step came back down fast and the car stalled!" ending his weekend. There is a lot more to this but I'll leave it as Mike tells it.
We'll have to see how far Troy goes tomorrow to see if Mike can possibly hold on to the points lead going into the final 2 events of the season.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:24 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Just to brighten up this tale, I'll leave you with a picture of a piece of racing **** I saw today:
100% CNC'd billet alumninum racing engine block. (Gollum voice "Sooo shiny my pretty is."

Quick Reply: OT: This weekend @ Z-Max