Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 F-150 won't start- ignition cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:30 PM
DattMavis
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1990 F-150 won't start- ignition cylinder?

This morning I drove my 1990 F-150 XLT Lariat about 20 miles, stopped for about 15 min, then drove back home and parked it. I went to move it to our other driveway about 30 min after I got home, and it started making a terrible whining noise as soon as i turned the key to start. Cut it off, and the starter was still running with the key completely off. I hit the key and cranked it again, thinking it might stop it (in hindsight, don't know why I did that) and it didn't, cut off again and starter continued to run. Popped hood and disconnected the neg cable as quickly as I could. Reconnected it about 15 min later and tried to start it, didn't even click.

I automatically assumed it was the relay, because I had replaced it years ago with the cheapest option I could (a practice I have not continued, but at the time it was an occasional use vehicle, now its a daily driver/work truck), and when I stuck a jumper between the relay terminals with the key on to test it, the starter engaged and turned the engine over.

I went to advance auto to get my replacement relay, since it was warrantied, and got my battery tested too. Ended up with a new relay, new battery (had been cranking slow lately anyways, and had 5 years+ on a 3 year battery plus it was 350 amps short of spec even after i charged it back up), and new battery cables.

I put all this in (negative cable was a PITA ) and went to crank the truck, got nothing. Noticed that the key didn't feel right. When I turned it to the "ON" position, I got nothing. Usually my idiot lights, gauges, radio, and fuel pump kick in. When I turned it to "START", everything came on, but no starter. The key doesn't spring back like it should and just sits on "START".

I've already researched it a little, and it seems like the likely problem is either the ignition cylinder, the ignition switch, or the actuator rod. I removed the cylinder, and other than a liberal amount of pretty nasty looking grease, it appears fine. I can cycle it through all the positions pretty smoothly, but it doesn't spring back.

My question is, does the lock cylinder have the spring mechanism in it, or is that further down the line? The cylinder was easy, and the ignition switch doesn't sound bad, but the replacing and aligning the actuator sounds like a serious PITA, or at least very time consuming.

Also, if it is the cylinder, i'll be going with the $13 advance auto replacement just to get it back on the road for work, but should I look into finding a Ford replacement for long term use? I'd rather not run into this problem again if i can avoid it, that noise scared the crap out of me until I realized what was going on , and I'm lucky I'm not having to replace a burned up starter on top of everything else.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:04 PM
DattMavis
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It wasn't the cylinder, kind of glad because the new one felt really cheaply made.

I took the switch off, and it functions fine when I manipulate it with a screwdriver.

The actuator rod is loose, so I'm assuming that is the problem. I'm about to start taking apart the column. Sucks, but at least I know what it is now.