1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 F250 - Will not start, tons of error message on dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 01:56 PM
heavy duty guy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya I did all that the first go round when I found this thread, pulled the connector off right away but still nothing. Couldn't see any pin damage or corrosion of any kind, I even sent copies of this thread to Ford with the truck the first time it went???? My employer is seriously considering dragging them down the mountain to the highway and removing the license plates and telling ford to come and get their junk! We've got 3 2015's and they've all got issues of different kinds, all with approx. 55-59000kms. One of them is in Ford right now with transfer case issues.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:10 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by heavy duty guy
Well....... The first time they put batteries in cuz they said they were toast. So not true because the whole time I was troubleshooting it I had the battery charger on it so as to NOT drain the batteries (plus I had already load tested them from the start to rule them out) but miraculously it started after they did that! Oh plus they charged us $2200 saying it wasn't warranty (only 59,000 kms on it by the way) So then it came back up to the mine and was fine for a few weeks, then BANG it did it again sooooo off to Ford it gets towed again. This time they say it's the DPF doing it???? So then after they cleaned it apparently it started right up??? It comes back again and is good for a few weeks again until the other day. We had a left front wheel bearing failure on the way up to the mine so couldn't make it up and had to have it towed up, when the tow truck brought it up we went to start it and NO GO! Same starting system fault and all the rest of the bells and whistles, started fine for the tow truck guy an hour earlier. Ok I think I've pretty much covered it guys.
I had a friend with a 2014 6.7 Lariat, they finally found his problem to be behind the dash. It was connector pins in a harness back there.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. Obviously your expertise well surpasses mine so there is nit much I can add. Good luck. Please keep the forum posted.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:59 AM
rdurmire
New User
Crystal, I have a 2012 F250 6.2L gasser that is doing the same thing. I bought the truck used about 2 months ago from a local Chevy dealer. My issues started about 1 1/2 weeks after I bought it. I've already disconnected and re-connected the connector which worked for about a week. Then the truck would not start again. I get all of the same errors, "starting system fault" with all the same symptoms as other guys (overheat light, low oil pressure, service advance track ect... When tried scanning it but it says it can't communicate. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 07-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
when you disconnected and reconnected the connector did you move it from the parking brake assembly? Do you use your parking brake?

The cure that I've read most commonly is to not just reconnect it but make sure it's tight and move it from the parking brake assembly.

Simple test is when it does the no start can you squeeze, wiggle, or otherwise molest that connector and get the truck to start?

Old 07-29-2016, 12:16 PM
rdurmire
New User
Yes, I did remove it, and I've squeezed, wiggled and everything to the connector, but it's not working any more. Like I said, it did work for about a week, and then it didn't and I had to have it towed to my house because it was late that night.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:22 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
That sucks. I've read of a few cases where there was more that was done to cure the problem, either replacing some harness or a module or something. Sorry can't recall what exactly off the top of my head. But it will be in a thread here somewhere. Trying searching a bit and look in the 6.2l specific forum (scroll down on the homepage). Or hopefully someone else will see your posts here and chime in. I've never had the issue myself, but have half followed those that did just in case it happens to my '11.

Good luck.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:45 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
The shame is this is might be a result of Ford cutting corners. I was told by a Ford dealership mechanic that this problem and many other electrical gremlins have sprung up across the brand after Ford changed the way they connect the pins to the wires in the harnesses.

I'm under the impression that there was some soldering in the past and now everything is press-fitted but I am not 100% sure that is what he was saying.

He had just spent a "ton" of time on a Focus they couldn't deliver because the AC stopped working between test and delivery. He finally tracked it to a pin/connector issue. He said there were many more cases like that.

Shame if that is true.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jdafonte
Update:

Yesterday at 5PM CST the dealer called and said the truck is ready. I picked it up this morning and tried to reproduce the error by pressing and releasing the ebrake, so far I have not been able to reproduce.

Here are the notes on the service ticket. I will continue to monitor it and provide more updates. I also look forward to talking with the ford CSM about my case and the dealer.

"CUSTOMER STATES VEHICLE WILL NOT START DAIG AND FOUND U CODES FOR ABS, BCM, GPSM, HVAC, IPC, PCM MODULES ALSO CODE P2610. ALL CODE U0100, U0140, U0155, U0102, U0137, U0100, U0401, U0212. CLEARED CODES AND RETEST SYSTEM. ENGINE STARTED EVERYTIME...WITH REMOTE OR WITH KEY. CALLED HOTLINE FOR INTERMITTED DIAG OR HELP WITH HS-CAN NETWORK...REPAIRED CONNECTOR C212 PINS 48,49 CIR VDB04 AND CIR VDB05, R R FENDER WELL AND REPAIR CONNECTOR C1010 PINS 2,3 AND 12,13 CIR VDB04 AND CIR VDB05...ALSO REPAIR CONNECTOR C210 PINS 47,48 CIR VDB04 AND VDB05. RETEST FOR NO START, RETEST FOR ANY CODES ALL PASSED"
I would start by checking the connectors and pins that ford repaired on this truck. This is from page 5 of this thread.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:36 PM
14SD4Jeffro
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my apologies if this has been settled

I'm not going to read through the entire thread, but something similar happened to me: brief synopsis

2016 F350 SCREW 4x4 PSD 5400 miles

7/20, while pulling into a parking spot at work, got the bells & multiple alarms (advance track, oil, coolant, etc), along with a check engine light. Shut off truck, restarted & all alarms/messages were gone & check engine light was off.

7/23, worked an overnight shift & everything was fine with truck when I got off work...went home, changed clothes, grabbed my cameras & my daughter & headed off to our local NASCAR short track. Started the truck & the bells/multiple messages/CEL was back. Stopped at the local O'Reiley's & had them put it on a scanner. showed a 2610, 2615 or some garbage code having to do with the traction system. about 7 or 8 miles from the track, the CEL turned off. got our pit passes, started the truck & no warnings or anything. As we were driving into the pits, I got all the multiple messages as before, with the addition of all my guages showing dashes. Parked, shut it off & attempted to restart, but absolutely nothing.

one of the local racers, who is a service tech suggested it may have been an alternator issue, with the voltages in teh batteries dropping so low in voltage that the computers got "confused" & began throwing multiple codes. attempted to connect a battery charger, but both batteries were full. decided to disconnect battery terms & HOPE that enough of the codes/information would clear & that I"d at least be able to get my truck home.

Once the terminals were connected, truck started fine, even though the CEL remained on.

tooK monday 7/24 off & took the truck to the dealer & got my rental.

finally contacted by dealer on friday, 7/29 & picked up my truck this morning, 7/30.

below is a direct quote as to the cause(s) of the problem..if these areas haven't already been checked, might be a good place for the clueless mechanics to start:

"IDS hook-up. KOEO and KOER tests. Many, many network codes and lack of data codes. Pinpoint tests. Access Kick panels and under dash. Wiggle tested wiring while running network tests and monitor PIDS. isolated the concern down to C210 splice S102 or S377. Accessed and replaced both splices and over C210. Reassembled and retested. Passing at this time."

hopefully, this will be the end of the problems, though the final 3 words of the report aren't that encouraging to a customer

hope this helps, if even just a little

Old 08-08-2016, 10:12 AM
mitnoswal
New User
I have a 2015 F250 6.7L and it did the exact same thing. I have about 30,000 miles on it. It shut it self down after I released the parking brake and would not restart.. I got the same fail messages on the dash , oil pressure, over temp, service ad=vance trck, starting failure etc. After several minutes, I pressed the emergency brake again (was getting ready to call a tow truck) and it started. I parked it (spent the night in a hotel), read this forum about the parking brake/wire bundle issue and it started fine the next morning but the check engine light stayed on that day. The next day (still out of town) everything was normal. I have not used the parking brake since. My question is since the check engine light has gone out and the problem hasn't repeated, will the dealership be able to download any trouble codes? I hate to take it to the dealership when everything seems to be good but I am afraid to use the emergency brake.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:45 AM
14SD4Jeffro
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When this happened to me, they were unable to pull any codes up off the OB DI even though the check engine light had been on as well as all the warning messages

Old 08-08-2016, 11:06 AM
mitnoswal
New User
How did you get it fixed? Never mind, I saw your previous post.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:30 AM
mitnoswal
New User
I just got off of the phone with the Ford Dealer and told the service rep what was going on. He said that if I brought it in it would be with them for at least 2 weeks. He had not heard of this problem and could find any information about this condition.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by mitnoswal
I just got off of the phone with the Ford Dealer and told the service rep what was going on. He said that if I brought it in it would be with them for at least 2 weeks. He had not heard of this problem and could find any information about this condition.
Man, that is so frustrating. One hand of Ford does not know what the other is doing. This is a known problem and Ford service has attempted to help via this site. Anyway, my truck did not throw codes.

Do yourself a favor and remove the connector from the parking brake bracket. Then, support with some wire ties to the wires above.

I did that and now don't let my parking brake slam up when I release it. Since doing all that, my truck has been fine.

My wife, who rarely drives the truck has forgotten and let the parking brake slam when releasing but even that has not caused a problem after relocating the connector.

Good luck!

Bandguy

Quick Reply: 2014 F250 - Will not start, tons of error message on dash