1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 F250 - Will not start, tons of error message on dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:32 AM
jdafonte
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squisher
I don't know how to post links. Search or scroll down in the 6.2 forum for thread "PCM relay? Truck won't start".

If you don't care to have a look no biggie to me. Good luck with it.

I haven't read of anyone having instrument cluster issues with the new trucks, at least not yet. A wiring connector by the parking brake is a pretty easy check.

Thanks Squisher. That link has some same problems mentioned. I am going to forward it to the dealer to look at. I will update with status.

Here is the link for anyone interested.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ont-start.html

Old 09-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
If they can't replicate or diagnose the problem just keep it in mind if it happens to you again. I'll be interested to see if this problem crosses over engine platforms.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:06 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdafonte
There are roughly 44,700. Problem started around 41K
Thanks for following up so quickly, jdafonte. Since you can't PM yet, send an email with your details to custserv@ford.com; put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Post here once you've emailed so I'll know to go and look for it. Once I have your info, I'll be able to escalate you to the customer service manager for your region.

Crystal

Old 09-14-2015, 11:15 AM
jdafonte
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
Thanks for following up so quickly, jdafonte. Since you can't PM yet, send an email with your details to custserv@ford.com; put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Post here once you've emailed so I'll know to go and look for it. Once I have your info, I'll be able to escalate you to the customer service manager for your region.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal. Email sent

Old 09-14-2015, 01:12 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdafonte
Thanks Crystal. Email sent
Thanks, jdafonte! I received your message and sent you a reply with your case info. Be sure to post here when you have any news to share with us.

Crystal

Old 09-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as know those of us who have moved the multipin connector off the parking brake assembly have not had the issue reoccur. I am quite sure another diesel owner had the same issue.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:19 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I hate to suggest on fixing your own truck while still under warranty but sounds like you have the same problem as the gas powered trucks. Take the big harness attached to the parking brake bracket, unplug it and reconnect it. I'll put a solid bet the truck will start and not act up for a good while. This is becoming a all too common problem. I don't know exactly which wire in the harness causes the issue. I got tired of screwing with it and zip tied the connector away from the parking brake bracket and haven't had a problem since. Also if you disconnect that harness and try to start the truck it will give you the symptoms you are talking about. When the truck acts up it likely won't scan or connect and give codes either because I tried it when mine acted up. That is like why they replaced the pcm. One of these days I'll look into what wires go to what in that harness just too busy with everything else...hopefully ford does something about it

Old 09-15-2015, 06:51 PM
jdafonte
New User
I shared the information and the link that talks about the wire harness to the dealer. I even went to the dealer yesterday as they claimed the truck starts with no errors or check engine light. When i got there the truck started just fine, i proceeded to press the back down and start then release as i normally would and start. I was unable to reproduce the symptoms the couple of time i tried.

I had the mechanic disconnect that wire harness and tried to start it, boom same problems I had and truck would not start. We connected the harness back together and the truck started with no codes or errors. Hopefully they will take that information and try to resolve it. However I have a feeling i will have to do as other said and just leave the harness zip tied off the bracket.

I will keep everyone updated as I have not heard from the dealer today.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
The good news is that all of us seem to have had a good dealer experience if not effective: they have all tried to resolve the issue and have been willing to go the extra distance.

It is very easy to remove the connector from the brake bracket and wire it up so don't be afraid to do it yourself.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:32 AM
jdafonte
New User
Originally Posted by Bandguy
The good news is that all of us seem to have had a good dealer experience if not effective: they have all tried to resolve the issue and have been willing to go the extra distance.

It is very easy to remove the connector from the brake bracket and wire it up so don't be afraid to do it yourself.
If they cant find out why it is causing this, then I will remove it from the bracket and zip tie as everyone else has.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:47 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Using the parking brake is the cause. The violent release is causing issues withe the harness. From the day I bought my truck the air bag light would flash when I released the parking brake. That and the no start is what keyed me into looking at the connector. Played with the harness and the truck starts and no air bag light anymore

Old 09-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Bandguy
Senior User
Yup, projectnitemare should get a reward from Ford. At least one person in the forum was looking at having Ford but back his truck due to this issue.

I have a buddy who put a new Mustang back on his short list of cars he is looking at after taking it off when my truck died and the dealer could not definitively diagnose or resolve the problem.

Bandguy

Old 09-16-2015, 10:18 AM
jdafonte
New User
Originally Posted by projectnitemare
Using the parking brake is the cause. The violent release is causing issues withe the harness. From the day I bought my truck the air bag light would flash when I released the parking brake. That and the no start is what keyed me into looking at the connector. Played with the harness and the truck starts and no air bag light anymore
Thanks I told them about that so hopefully they will either find what connector or replace the harness. If not I will just remove it from the bracket assembly.

Originally Posted by Bandguy
Yup, projectnitemare should get a reward from Ford. At least one person in the forum was looking at having Ford but back his truck due to this issue.

I have a buddy who put a new Mustang back on his short list of cars he is looking at after taking it off when my truck died and the dealer could not definitively diagnose or resolve the problem.

Bandguy
I agree, seems there are numerous of people that have demonstrated this probably in some sort of fashion.

I am still waiting to her back from my dealership. After telling them of this, they simply stated we can't do anything until we duplicate it (even had them disconnect the harness to duplicate) and they are waiting to hear back from ford.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Hmmm. I'd think if a tech spent some time with the truck running and wiggling that connector or messing with the park brake that they'd be able to replicate the issue. Also pulling that connector apart and checking all the pins and ensuring a good contact and then moving it off the parking brake assembly would be a good start.

Please keep us updated with the outcome.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 AM
jdafonte
New User
Originally Posted by Squisher
Hmmm. I'd think if a tech spent some time with the truck running and wiggling that connector or messing with the park brake that they'd be able to replicate the issue. Also pulling that connector apart and checking all the pins and ensuring a good contact and then moving it off the parking brake assembly would be a good start.

Please keep us updated with the outcome.

Just got off the Service Adviser and they waiting to hear back from Ford to see if they can apply an overlay (bypass for pin or connector). We update if they get the approval and will provide the specifics.

Quick Reply: 2014 F250 - Will not start, tons of error message on dash