1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marine Never Seez

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:33 PM
StewB
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marine Never Seez

I see on differant threads people using greese on wheels/rims to stop them from seizing onto the hubs. A couple of years ago a friend of mine told me about Marine Never Seez. I use it now on everything.

One example is the wheel studs on my boat trailer. No matter what I did or put on the studs they would dry out and corrode. I now put this stuff on them and it lasts a couple years easy. Just don't put it, or anything, on the surface where the nut meets the rim or tourqe will be effected.

I use this stuff on everything that needs some lube, corrosion protection or any bolt I may want to get off one day. It has a very high temperature rateing, way higher than regular never seez.

check it out. It's not cheap but it works amazingly well.
And no I don't have any financial interest in this company. Just a great product.

Bostik Marine Grade Products - Industrial Supply Group

Old 09-13-2015, 06:55 PM
HearseDriver
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
StewB, thanks for the info. I never knew Marine Never Seez even existed. This will definitely help in wet locations as you said for boats & boat trailers, cooling towers etc. Thank you for providing the link too!

Old 09-13-2015, 07:09 PM
fairlane70
Freshman User
Yeah ,thanks for link

Old 09-14-2015, 11:17 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
YES see the other post. Copper anti-seize for exhaust parts and nickle based for all others. Salve up everything! You'll never have a hard time removing anything again. I think Marine based paste is a metal free base? Its OK as well, though I dont have any experience with it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...hub-issue.html

Old 09-14-2015, 01:46 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I can add 2 pieces of info here....

1. Never use anti-seize products on your lug nuts. You don't want those to come back apart easily. You can use this logic for other things too.

2. Anti-seize is a lubricant. User manuals often give you bolt torques for re-assembling all of your things. If you have applied anti-seize, these values no longer apply as they are for non-lubricated threads. Lubricated threads require less torque to achieve the same clamping force. A 1/2-13 bolt requires 75 ft-lb dry and only 55 ft-lb lubricated. If you are not aware of this, you will start stripping threads.

For reference:
http://www.tillagetools.com/uploaded...rqueCharts.pdf

Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 PM
StewB
Freshman User
Originally Posted by wizkid00104
I can add 2 pieces of info here....

1. Never use anti-seize products on your lug nuts. You don't want those to come back apart easily. You can use this logic for other things too.

2. Anti-seize is a lubricant. User manuals often give you bolt torques for re-assembling all of your things. If you have applied anti-seize, these values no longer apply as they are for non-lubricated threads. Lubricated threads require less torque to achieve the same clamping force. A 1/2-13 bolt requires 75 ft-lb dry and only 55 ft-lb lubricated. If you are not aware of this, you will start stripping threads.

For reference:
Before I started using marine never seez on the lug nuts of my boat trailer I did a lot of research on the topic of puting anything on lug nuts to stop them from rusing. In addition I consulted some auto mechanics and millrights I know.
The concensus was, if you put never seez on the lug nuts you must ensure that it is only on the threads. Never let it get in on the mateing surface off the nut or the wheel. By matings surface I mean the area of the lug nut and the wheel that contact each other.
When the lug nut is torqued, the vast majority of the torque/resistence to turning comes from the friction of the mating surfaces. Only a fraction of the torque comes from the friction of the threads binding against each other.
If you are realy freaky about torque, torque to the bottom of the spec not the top.
I am religous about torqing every thing and I tend to tourqe to the lower number of the range given on anything I have used never seez on.
I have been doing this for several years and have never had a lug nut come loose. I have never had a stretched stud and I have also never had one seize on since I started this.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:27 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's sound logic for the acorn type lug nuts, and possibly even mag type... and any other lug-centric wheels.

Hub-Centric wheels are different. If you notice on the lug nuts on Super Duty pickups there is a bearing between the threaded nut and the wheel. Thread friction is the primary keeper on these wheels. There is very little friction between the thrust bearing and the lug nut.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 PM
StewB
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
That's sound logic for the acorn type lug nuts, and possibly even mag type... and any other lug-centric wheels.

Hub-Centric wheels are different. If you notice on the lug nuts on Super Duty pickups there is a bearing between the threaded nut and the wheel. Thread friction is the primary keeper on these wheels. There is very little friction between the thrust bearing and the lug nut.
Very good point on Hub-Centic.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:27 PM
Tnriverside
Senior User
Here is my two cents worth.
I have used an anti-seize product on all my boat, travel trailer and vehicle wheel studs. And have never had one become loose. Nor have I had one seize. I have not worked on a SD with the hub-centric lugs but I would use an anti-seize without hesitation. I have also applied it to the two mating surfaces of the inside wheel and brake hub to prevent bonding. Yes. It does effect the toque value. If I were concerned about a lug nut coming loose (and I'm not) I would use some
LOCTITE® THREADLOCKER BLUE 242®.
Threadlockers from Loctite Products | Threadlocking / Mechanical Gasketing | Loctite Adhesives
This stuff is a lubricant and prevents corrision of the surfaces. Don't use the red stuff. It really sticks.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:23 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 981 Likes on 755 Posts
Originally Posted by wizkid00104
. A 1/2-13 bolt requires 75 ft-lb dry and only 55 ft-lb lubricated. If you are not aware of this, you will start stripping threads.

For reference:

thanks for this info...seriously....I now feel better about under torquing my lubricated wheel lug nuts....