1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bad Carter P74029 Fuel Pump from RockAuto

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:29 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Bad Carter P74029 Fuel Pump from RockAuto

So yesterday I took my truck out for a short ride to pick up a recliner at the furniture store. It’s about a 10 mile trip; mostly highway.

Got there with no trouble shut it off and went inside for about 10 minutes. Came out to go around to the pick up area started up and as I went around the side of the building the truck died.

Tried to start it but no good. I noticed the fuel filter was empty so I knew it was not getting fuel. I thought maybe my fuel gauge was off and maybe I ran out of gas. Got a couple of gallons and put in still could not start it. Poured some gas in then carb and it started up. I could see gas going into the filter but very slow. The pressure gauge was also very low around 1 psi. but it was running.

I drove it about a mile or two and stopped to fill it up but it over flowed after only about 4 gallons so obviously it was not out of gas…
I started it up, left the gas station and drove about a 1/2 mile and it died again. This time in a left turn lane of a very busy area… not fun!

Anyway ended up getting a flat bed to get me home.

This morning I put gas in the carb again and it started. Same slow flow in the filer and no pressure on the gauge. Seems like the flow is just vacuum pulling fuel through the filter?

I tested the pump by connecting it directly to power and it made lots of clicking sounds and no pressure. I assume it’s bad at this point.

The pump is a Carter P74029 less than 1 year old. I got it from RockAuto. I filled out the warranty request form on the website today and I just got the response below:

"We are sorry that you have a problem with your fuel pump. On your return, you specified that this pump has been installed in a 1956 Ford F-100. This fuel pump is not listed under this vehicle application, and thus, is not intended for use on this truck. For this reason, the part is not covered under the manufacturer's warranty."

I guess I will never buy another part from RockAuto!

Old 09-12-2015, 10:46 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Any chance there is a crack in a rubber hose or anywhere air can get into the line before the pump? Tank vent working well enough to support the amount of fuel the pump can pull? Electric pumps like to push fuel and not pull, where is it mounted in the system? Gravity fed? Return fuel line present or dead head? Lots of things can make a fuel pump not work or fail completely, I would bench test it.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:30 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
I put it in with all new hoses fuel lines from the tank to the carb. The tank is new also. Its all been working with no issues until yesterday. No leaks anywhere.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:39 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Just wondering who was supposed to be warrantying the pump and for how long, Rock Auto or Carter?
If Carter, then your beef is with Carter, not RA, And you should (have) contacted Carter for the warantee adjustment. If it is past the standard manufacturer's warantee for the part and the warantee was extended by RA then they should have honored it because I would assume it to be a "universal" use pump, not an OEM spec application replacement/repair part. If Carter says you must go thru RA on a warantee claim then I would call RA (NOT on Sunday tho) and speak to a customer service supervisor (ask and write down his/her name and explain it is a universal application pump, not specific to ANY vehicle. Move up the chain of supervisors until you get a satisfactory solution, but do contact Carter first if pump is indeed defective.
As Droptop says disconnect the fuel line before the filter and both flow (let it pump into a measured container for a specific time, 1 min, 30 sec or whatever and compare to spec, attach a temp fuel pressure gauge and test pressure (test gauge is inexpensive or can possibly be free loaner at parts store). Test with fuel tank cap removed. Finally test for plugged fuel line. Attach a new piece of fuel hose from a temp gas container to pump and recheck. Gasahol attacks rubber fuel lines not rated for such use from the inside out, and the rubber line(s) may be swollen/deteriorated inside to block gas flow, even on fairly new hose. Finally the pump check valve may be stuck/plugged/held open by debris and/or the diaphragm torn or deteriorated. Is the pump labeled safe for use with fuel containing alcohol? Make sure to eliminate all possible points of failure except the pump. Should they take it back and test it and it is good, you could end up owning two pumps and have egg on your face.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:03 AM
smallello
Laughing Gas
I figured I would have to see if there is someone else to talk to on Monday. I think I will bench test it before I send it back just be sure that is the issue. Thanks

Old 09-13-2015, 12:42 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I worked for a national tire company years ago. We sold Moog, Munroe, Certified, Autolite, Fram. Echlin and a few other brand's. We used to "buy" the warranty. It was built into our costs, or lack of. EG.. back in the late 80's, a 5208 Moog ball joint listed at around $49.95, believe it or not our corporate cost was 8-9$. We honoured the warranty not Moog, or any other brand we carried. Rock auto, If having the same deal, count's on people not paying shipping to return a warrantable item. We made it back on the labour to reinstall the warrantable part. Parts lifetime....Labour 1 year. If the part failed within a year, we would return it for credit. I would check with a local or state company rep for the product. He may able to help. A good rep can make thing's happen. The higher you go into the corporate chain, the less satisfaction you get due to lack of knowledge. There not up there because they pounded in ball joints for a living. The upper cluster is in most cases just manage. Product reps take the front line's. We got them up here and it works. Good Luck

Old 09-13-2015, 05:06 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 851 Likes on 769 Posts
I went through 4 Carter pumps in my 87. Carter would say nothing was wrong with them , even when hooked direct to a battery they wouldn't work. Got the pumps through NAPA and they did honor the warranty. The Airtex in now works fine. There seems to have been a nationwide problem with Carter pumps.
As mentioned above, check things out first.
Good Luck.
http://www.rockauto.com/info/Carter/Warranty_Policy.pdf

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p74029

Old 09-13-2015, 05:21 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
I bench tested the pump and it is definitely bad. It is making noise but pumping nothing.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:33 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 851 Likes on 769 Posts
If there is a NAPA store near you they should be able to put you in contact with a Carter rep.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:05 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:59 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by GLR
I went through 4 Carter pumps in my 87. Carter would say nothing was wrong with them , even when hooked direct to a battery they wouldn't work. Got the pumps through NAPA and they did honor the warranty. The Airtex in now works fine. There seems to have been a nationwide problem with Carter pumps.
....]
I've had an Airtex for about 8 years, very reliable. BUT I had occasion to pull the pump the other day, and found that the constant vibration from the pump's cycling action had hammered the inlet filter (comes with the pump) into pieces. The filter element was loose in the housing and scattering bits of the media into the pump and system. I'm going to replace the inlet filter with one mounted ahead of the pump and connected with rubber hose.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:59 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Looks like Carter will not honor the warranty. They say this pump is not a universal type and is not to be used in a 1956 F100. It would be covered if it were installed in a vehicle that is listed for that part. Not happy about this but not much I can do about it.

So now that I need to buy a new pump and I am looking for suggestions.

The engine is a 1970 LTD 429 4 barrel and I have been running at 2 psi. I assume that pressure is ok.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
In my way of thinking it was not installed on a 56 F100, but on a 1970 LTD 429. The 56 is merely the fuel tank holder, otherwise has nothing to do with the pump. What vehicle(s) is that pump listed for? Is it an internal or external pump? Was it pumping into a regulator? Did it have a return line?
Personally I don't like using an external electric pump pumping directly to the carb on a street engine, most of the time it is trying to pump into a pressurized closed off line, which leads to overheating and a short life. I would recommend either use a pump with a built in regulator and return or a separate in line regulator that has a pressure bleed return line installed close to the pump. That way you are not restricting the flow thru the pump, and the constant flow of fuel thru it helps keep the pump cool. If you do use a return line be sure the in tank end of it is not aimed directly at the tank pickup. I'd prefer it to be returning the fuel as far from the pickup as possible on the far side of a baffle. Typically carbs like 2-5# fuel pressure. If using an adjustable regulator adjust it to the lowest pressure that just keeps the fuel bowl full at extended WOT.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:36 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
They're right that pump is not listed as a universal pump, but as a replacement for Ford Courier and Ranger with 4 cyl engines. I didn't look up RA's price but it's 44.00 on Summit, so that's less than 4.00 per month of use, I wouldn't feel too bad about that.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:58 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
I have a Holley regulator set to 2 psi. There is no return line.

Yeah, its not a high dollar part so its not so bad.

The Carter tech suggested the P74019 pump which is a very similar pump and is universal. I just want to see if there is a better option. Is a cheap fuel pump cheap for a reason, like it wont last very long?

Should I consider a more expensive pump or are the more expensive because of features I may not need? Obviously I don't know much about these pumps and I am getting an education here... as usual.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Bad Carter P74029 Fuel Pump from RockAuto