1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

DVD player question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 02:52 AM
Kslatnick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD player question

I was hoping someone from the group could answer a few questions for me.

I just purchased a used 03 expedtion Eddie B with DVD system. The DVD player does not have wireless headphones or a remote. The seller told me it came this way. The brochure, web site and manual talk about these items as standard. My player looks a bit different than the picture on the Ford site. It does not have the two little black windows on both sides of the player on the front panel area. I assume these are for the wireless headphone and remote IR ports.

Should I have these accesories?
Was there a DVD change in the middle of the model year?
Can I get these accesories, and if so, would they work with my model?

Also it is really noisy when playing. The motor inside the player is very loud.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Kevin

Old 08-03-2003, 07:16 AM
NJexpedition
New User
DVD player question

Sounds like an aftermarket DVD. Did you get the expy from a dealer? What was the milage on the expy when you picked it up?

Old 08-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Kslatnick
New User
DVD player question

Its a factory DVD. Its listed on the window sticker. 3600 miles.

Old 08-03-2003, 05:26 PM
HookedUp2003
Senior User
DVD player question

ok here is the problem. i knwo the answer since i have had 2 03 epedition eddie bauers one which was job 1 and the second job 2. it is listed in the brochure and on the website that the dvd system is supposed to be equiped with wireless headphones and a remote. if your eddie bauer was a job one. one way of telling this is if your running boards are black(not arizona beige) and if your reverse sensors in the bumper consits of 2 sensors that you can see instead of 4. the reason that u dont have the wireless headphones if becuase when ford started producing the new body style they wanted to get it off the line asap. this is also why they are having so many problems with it.

but anyway most if not all of the JOB 1. '03 expeditions do not have wireless headphones they are supposed to come with wired KOSS headphones that plug into the back of the center console. It is 100% definitly supposed to come with a remote though regardless if it has the wireless headphones or not.

hope that i was of assitance. hey just a ? i did not know that 03 expeditions were getting sold used already being that they are still fairly new, why did the guy that sold u his sell it?? and if you have any other questions please let me know i will be glad to help you out!!

p.s. as for the noise i do not know what to tell you. you can purchase the remote from ford directly. you cannot add the wireless headphones from the factory but u can add aftermarket ones if you goto a shop that knows what they are doing all they do is tap into the audio cable and mount an infrared transformer near the player and the headphones they supply picks up the sound.

Last edited by HookedUp2003; 08-03-2003 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:09 PM
daveplot
Elder User
DVD player question

Originally posted by Kslatnick
Also it is really noisy when playing. The motor inside the player is very loud.
Mine is completely silent.

Old 08-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Kslatnick
New User
DVD player question

Thanks for the assistance. This is about what I expected. Mid year model change.

Hookedup2003:

I can not say for sure why the guy sold the car so soon. He said it was to big and he did not like it. I think he is fairly well off financially. I have bought cars like this before. Got a great deal once on a 1 year old Jag. But you never really know for sure. This is the chance you take with a used car. I hope that it was not a lemon and he wanted to dump it.

I am getting the feeling that people have had a lot of trouble with the job 1 models. Is this ture? It there something I should be looking out for or having serviced?

The only real problem I have now is the very loud DVD player. Maybe I can get a warranty replacement and get the newer version. I am sure I can buy headphones and the remote if I really need them.

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Kslatnick
New User
DVD player question

Hooked up: You mentioned that definately a remote shouild have come with the DVD. Well if there is no IR port on the Job 1 model, how does the remote work?

Old 08-04-2003, 09:24 AM
HookedUp2003
Senior User
DVD player question

i dont know but i know there should be a remote because i got one with my job 1

Old 08-31-2003, 02:21 PM
Little
New User
DVD player question

I have learned more from your posts than from our dealership in 6 months. We are in the same boat....asked for and paid for a factory installed wireless DVD unit. That is not what we received. Has anyone received any satisfaction from your dealership? As of today, we have not. They are talking spending $4000 to replace the unit and wiring harness with a wireless one from the factory. One source says that a wireless (tan) dvd unit is not available. Is this so?

Old 09-26-2003, 09:01 PM
Little
New User
If you purchased a 2003 Expedition that was "supposed to" have a wireless DVD, please contact me. We are seeking an active approach to a solution. lasews at bellsouth.net