Ford In-Vehicle Tech Discussion area for Ford Sync, Sync AppLink, MyFord Touch, Ford Supplied SiriusXM Radio, Ford Work Solutions, etc.

Sync just stopped working

Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 AM
jimmysb7377
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sync just stopped working

I was driving the other day and on the phone thru the bluetooth/Sync. The call dropped and after that everything sync related stopped working (voice control, phone button, USB, line in, etc...) I cant even get it to come up by pressing the AUX button to do a "master reset". I read in another forum to pull the fuse and wait a few minutes then put it back in. I tried it but nothing the "line in" option comes up for just a second when pressing the AUX button then changes to SAT radio. All the OTHER controls on the steering wheel work. Just not Sync related stuff. Please advise. I don't want to pay the dealer for something I can do myself if possible. Thanks. BTW I just have the basic Sync that shows up on the radio, No Nav or anything.

2012 F250 6.7l

Old 09-12-2015, 08:51 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
<p>Disconnect the battery for an hour. On my Taurus, for whatever reason, the fuse I THOUGHT fed everything Sync-related wasn't really the only power feed to all the electronics.</p>

Old 09-14-2015, 02:30 PM
jimmysb7377
New User
No luck

That didn't do it either. Probably left it unplugged for 2 hrs or more.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:12 PM
JackOHearts
Cross-Country
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Kinda Deja Vu. Your post sounds just mine below.
Did you resolve ?

Well i have read thru most of these postings.
Nothing seems to apply to my situation.
2015 F-250 Synch, no touch. just the screen for the radio and limited synch features.
After working well for 2 months since i bought the truck:
Two different droid phones paired and performed well.
THEN.
Nothing. No Phone. No Phone menu. No Synch at all. No response to pushing the phone button. No response to pushing the Synch button.
So I can’t do a reset because I can’t get to that menu item.
No joy calling 800 #. They did not seem to understand what the different buttons did when the system was working correctly.
Thanks in advance for a solution.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:27 PM
jimmysb7377
New User
Originally Posted by JackOHearts
Kinda Deja Vu. Your post sounds just mine below.
Did you resolve ?

Well i have read thru most of these postings.
Nothing seems to apply to my situation.
2015 F-250 Synch, no touch. just the screen for the radio and limited synch features.
After working well for 2 months since i bought the truck:
Two different droid phones paired and performed well.
THEN.
Nothing. No Phone. No Phone menu. No Synch at all. No response to pushing the phone button. No response to pushing the Synch button.
So I can’t do a reset because I can’t get to that menu item.
No joy calling 800 #. They did not seem to understand what the different buttons did when the system was working correctly.
Thanks in advance for a solution.

So I'm guessing you didn't find a solution either. I am just going to break down after the New Year and take it to the dealership. I tried pulling the fuse and replacing it and disconnecting both batteries for hours to try to reset it and nothing.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:50 AM
JackOHearts
Cross-Country
I pulled the Sync fuse on my F*250 three times.
First time nothing. Second time had limited phone connectivity, lasted for 8 hours, then dead again. Third time no effect.
Thinking about the removal of the battery clamp next........

Old 12-07-2015, 07:51 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Whatever fuse I pulled on my Taurus did not completely reset the entire Sync system. It took a complete power-off for the entire car to do it.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:51 PM
jimmysb7377
New User
APIM

Finally took it to the dealership and they are saying that APIM is bad and its a $800 fix. Seem like crap for a vehicle that is barely 3 years old and it actually went out back in August. Any suggestions.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:20 PM
JackOHearts
Cross-Country
I finally started to do the "Remove battery clamp" deal when the sync goes dead.
Happens about once a week. Leaving it off for an hour or so usually restores sync functions.
Tried to get the local dealer to talk to me about it, but "You need to bring it in....".
I wouldn't mind doing so if I thought it would be intelligently looked at and not just "you need to replace this and that" and keep me from using my truck for days....
A little "Oh yeah, we see this a lot, it is the ....." would be nice.
And not hard as i see online lots of similar issues.
Mine is a 2015, purchased only 3 months ago.
So far this is my biggest disappointment with this purchase.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:23 PM
jimmysb7377
New User
Originally Posted by JackOHearts
I finally started to do the "Remove battery clamp" deal when the sync goes dead.
Happens about once a week. Leaving it off for an hour or so usually restores sync functions.
Tried to get the local dealer to talk to me about it, but "You need to bring it in....".
I wouldn't mind doing so if I thought it would be intelligently looked at and not just "you need to replace this and that" and keep me from using my truck for days....
A little "Oh yeah, we see this a lot, it is the ....." would be nice.
And not hard as i see online lots of similar issues.
Mine is a 2015, purchased only 3 months ago.
So far this is my biggest disappointment with this purchase.
If you got it new it should still be covered by the Bumper to Bumper

Old 01-29-2016, 09:55 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by jimmysb7377
Finally took it to the dealership and they are saying that APIM is bad and its a $800 fix. Seem like crap for a vehicle that is barely 3 years old and it actually went out back in August. Any suggestions.
I got a letter a year or two ago from Ford saying that the warranty on my Taurus Sync/mytouch was extended out to 5 years and unlimited mileage.

If the vehicle is less than 3 years old, it should be covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty if it has less than 36K miles.

I would call the dealer back, or find another dealer and see if you're covered like I am.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:13 PM
jimmysb7377
New User
Originally Posted by Krewat
I got a letter a year or two ago from Ford saying that the warranty on my Taurus Sync/mytouch was extended out to 5 years and unlimited mileage.

If the vehicle is less than 3 years old, it should be covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty if it has less than 36K miles.

I would call the dealer back, or find another dealer and see if you're covered like I am.
They said my sync was gen 1 and I don't have mytouch, just sync with the radio faceplate. So mine wasn't covered. I don't get why they will cover the APIM for 2011 thru 2014 for mytouch and not for all the rest sync APIM's.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:57 PM
TheSword
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync System

Not to sound like a smart azz but since you asked for suggestions next time consider GM or Toyota . I most certainly am. Ford is deep in sync problems and I haven't seen my 2011 F150 for 4 weeks now because they can't get the correct APIM (module). On Jan. 7 Ford replaced the APIM. It cost me $864. to basically make the radio play. Once they installed the wrong module a current draw magically appeared and would kill the battery overnight. Ford keep insisting they had sent the correct module but finally admitted the dealership mechanic was correct in his diagnosis that were sending the wrong part.
All over the internet are complaints about Fords Sync System. It is total junk.
If I ever get my truck back It's going right to the auto action. Never again a Ford.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:53 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Call Ford Customer Support, telling them it went out before the 3-year warranty was up, they may have some recourse.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Joseph Henderson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was driving the other day and on the phone thru the bluetooth/Sync. The call dropped and after that everything sync related stopped working (voice control, phone button, USB, line in, etc...) I cant even get it to come up by pressing the AUX button to do a "master reset". I read in another forum to pull the fuse and wait a few minutes then put it back in. I tried it but nothing the "line in" option comes up for just a second when pressing the AUX button then changes to SAT radio. All the OTHER controls on the steering wheel work. Just not Sync related stuff. Please advise. I don't want to pay the dealer for something I can do myself if possible. Thanks. BTW I just have the basic Sync that shows up on the radio, No Nav or anything.

2012 F250 6.7l
Idk idk idk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sync just stopped working