2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Next Generation Expedition Anytime Soon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:16 AM
jbhford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next Generation Expedition Anytime Soon?

Do you guys think the current 2015-16 models are just a teaser until Ford releases a radical change? Kind of like the 2011-14 F150s served until the 15s came out; new motors, tweaked interior & exterior, etc.

I certainly like the subtle changes on the 15-16 models compared to the 2007-14 years. But when I consider how our current '07 is still running well, still looks good and is paid for, it's hard to let it go for $15k-ish (if I'm lucky) only to turn around and drop $50k for a 2015 that is not that much different...even though the Ecoboost is a welcome addition.

Even though I appreciate the understatedness and clean lines of the new Expedition, the GM trio of SUVs has raised my expectations a little. My wife and I peeked into one and instantly thought, "wow!". Especially the Tahoe LTZ model, GM did a great job. The Denali and Escalade may be a little too blingy for our taste. Just don't know if I could stomach joining the status quo by owning one of these things, as they are freaking everywhere now.

Do you think Ford will take cues from the new F150 and release a new Expedition? Or do you think they will ride out this platform for another few years?

Old 09-21-2015, 02:42 PM
brentkhack
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Forthepie
Freshman User
I got to test drive the new 2015 F150 before they were available. I thought the aluminum was solid and the loss of weight paired with the ecoboost was a great thing. I am hoping they put the Expy on a diet too. I need the enclosed space for people and pets but don't need the towing capabilities all the time. Really wished I had jumped at the nicer lower mileage one when I bought my 07. I love the 12 F150 I have but it's too small for vacation/trips to Grandma's house. I am going back when they redesign, but I am enjoying the changes they are making right now.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:25 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jbhford
Do you guys think the current 2015-16 models are just a teaser until Ford releases a radical change? Kind of like the 2011-14 F150s served until the 15s came out; new motors, tweaked interior & exterior, etc.

I certainly like the subtle changes on the 15-16 models compared to the 2007-14 years. But when I consider how our current '07 is still running well, still looks good and is paid for, it's hard to let it go for $15k-ish (if I'm lucky) only to turn around and drop $50k for a 2015 that is not that much different...even though the Ecoboost is a welcome addition.

Even though I appreciate the understatedness and clean lines of the new Expedition, the GM trio of SUVs has raised my expectations a little. My wife and I peeked into one and instantly thought, "wow!". Especially the Tahoe LTZ model, GM did a great job. The Denali and Escalade may be a little too blingy for our taste. Just don't know if I could stomach joining the status quo by owning one of these things, as they are freaking everywhere now.

Do you think Ford will take cues from the new F150 and release a new Expedition? Or do you think they will ride out this platform for another few years?
It is pretty ironic that you are using GM's SUVs as a sort of a benchmark, when the Expedition is still rated higher than those. I find it a little weird that most of these articles want to make a point about Ford not redesigning the Expedition and Nav since 2007 yet still rating them higher than the new Tahoe.
Even more entertaining: The 2007 Expedition "redesign" was really little more than an updating of the second gen that was introduced in 2003. So if you stop to think about it, much of what was put on paper for the 2003 introduction is still beating the pants off of the latest Tahoe which is based on the NEXT (2016) generation of the Silverado.
It just goes to show that a truly good design can outlast the conventional wisdom of the industry that wants to see redesigns every few years.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Forthepie
Freshman User
I think the Expy has a lot going for it, fold flat seats, nice ride etc. I doubt I will buy any GM vehicle again. I just don't trust them. We all know recalls are inevitable, but GM, Come on man.

I'd like them to bump the gas mileage up and maybe widen the front seats some, then I would be great. I am buying one, unless something drastic happens. I liked the redesign of the F150 and tbh I wouldn't mind the next gen of the Expy to base off it. It's roomy and it rides well and it's sturdy. I want safe, reliable and easy to drive. I know I am not getting 45MPG with it, but I wouldn't be sad if they got there.

They have to boost the MPG or face fines and such, right? I prefer the body styling of the 07 version over the 03. I would prefer for the interior of an XLT Expy to be nicer than the XLT F150 I drive.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:21 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Expedition

Scroll to the bottom of the page for yearly sales figures from the beginning to 2014.

Sadly, the Tahoe has grossly outsold the Expy by a huge margin. In the 2014 alone, the Tahoe sold 139295 as compared to 44K units from ford. I'm confused as to how the Expy is rated better but has been out sold by more than 3-1 in 2014. Just sayin.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
And every time I've looked at it, the comparable GM twins are 5-10% more expensive than the Ford twins.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:01 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Sadly, next to the Ranger, the Expy has been the most overlooked platform in Ford's line up. Expy sales peaked out in 1999 at 233K units. When I bought mine in 2004, Ford was throwing serious money at me to take it. Mine is a base XLT 4x2 with the 4.6L, (last year btw) and with 107K, she's been marvelous.

This truck and it's anticipated customer base deserve better.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 AM
dlcorbett
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The expy is away and afar a better vehicle the the gms, and just about every other fs suv was too until the recent redesign as well. Three things keep them on top in sales: marketing-they market it as a rugged yet sexy soccer mom ride, styling-most conventional yet consistent ext/interior looks(i myself think they look great but drive doesnt match their looks), and variety-three trucks three diff looks same price...if ford never dropped the ball on the 03(beautiful truck with amazing features and innovations but incomplete at launch) and 07(what the 03 shouldve been but lacks same quality) and esp the navi(so much untapped potential, the 05 model was damn near perfect) fords sells margins for these trucks wouldve been so much higher. They are already the best in utility and top 2 in comfort, they better get it right thus redesign, the f150 is a nice starting point but the expy by all accounts is a better vehicle.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:13 PM
ZGKiwi
Freshman User
At the risk of getting off track of discussing new ford......

I've recently comparison shopped the expy and gm vehicles and having no prior ownership of either brand or model i like to think i was somewhat impartial.
* GM interiors far nicer than ford, nicer leather and other materials, better electronics etc. Ford perhaps more truck like and utilitarian but explains appeal of GMs to many buyers.
* Exterior styling - personal preference of course. I dont like the new GM's as they're too blocky and linear for me but ford looks a little dated, classic and improved with subtle changes in 15/ 16 but still a little old.
* Interior volume - gm finally catching up with fold flat seats but rear axle is major compromise in third row leggroom and trunk floor height. Tahoe third row is practically unuseable even for kids. Big win for ford here.
* Ride quality - GMs with magnetic ride are very harsh, not firm and sporty like european vehicles, i mean like hammer to the back harsh over any pavement irregularity. Lower trims without it are still loose and floaty like old models. Ford much better to me - kind of in between.
* Noise - GMs got a buffeting problem. All 4 I test drove, chevy, yukon, high trim, mid trim all had droning noise ~62 mph. My wife didnt notice it but bothered me big time. So bad I went home and googled it -turns out many others notice it too .
* Price - $10k less for a comparably equipped expedition

I just dont get why expeditions sell so poorly and gms trucks sell so well. Maybe its a "me too" phenomenon. Maybe its that the old ford engine was not good. Maybe its that most folk are very brand loyal.

But for my money I have a new expedition in the driveway.

As for the new model
I hope ford updates but doesnt go too radical with styling, i hope they upgrade interiors but give people choices i.e nicer leathers and materials on higher trims, utilitarian and durable on lower trims, they need to bring electronics up to par, and they better keep what they already do better i.e. Ride and interior volume

Old 11-07-2015, 06:55 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Expedition sales started to dip after Ford dropped to one engine choice. 10 years later and Ford offers the ecoboost which is a great plant and runs like a rocket, still only one engine.

The 5.0L would have been a fantastic choice leaving the ecoboost as the premium engine for the top tier models and the Navi.

The lower control arms front and rear on my '04 are solid aluminum. I believe that is was in '07 when Ford switched to stamped parts front and rear. Not sure if it made any difference durability, alignments or any other issues. To me it seems cheaper.

If I had a younger family as I once did, I'd definitely go for another Expy instead of a GM. But, I'd have to look at the Toyota and Nissan offerings as well.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:56 PM
Forthepie
Freshman User
Are the GM sales numbers bloated with all the Government sales? For some reason GM owns the SUV Government setups. I mean, they owned GM for a bit, so..yeah.

My choice of company comes down to largely one point. I trust Ford. I do not trust GM. I realize recalls happen but the sheer volume and number of different recalls from GM makes me wonder if GM didn't hire some VA guys to do their QA. Sheesh.

After that, I want save for me and my family. Sorry, rest of you low to the ground mouth breathers, tie goes to my full size vehicle.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:37 PM
dlcorbett
Tuned
Im rele looking forward to the new model myself, im interested in seeing how the rear body will look now since its gonna be taller and wider and not the plastedon piarts on the protos

Old 11-08-2015, 07:39 PM
dlcorbett
Tuned
Also i hope they put a detuned 2.7l in 2, its doin amazingly well in the f150, i drove one its very nice. 25mpg with it would with a std 33g tank would be amazing

Old 11-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I do agree that Ford has had their collective heads up their behinds when it came to engine choices. It was no secret that the 5.4l had plug and head problems. It was no secret that Ford did little more than release a TSB or two and change the design. Essentially leaving their customers out to hang in the breeze.
Meanwhile GM has one of the best line of motors out there. Quite honestly, without the motor and trans combo the 15 has, I wouldn't have even dared buy it. They basically just left the 5.4 out to pasture.
To me, it's no wonder why the General has had no problem spanking Ford in sales. You can't put a product line on Auto-pilot when engine has evolved so much over the past 10 or so years.

Quick Reply: Next Generation Expedition Anytime Soon?