pricing

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 09:14 PM
Robskater
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noserider
Hi Guys

I just got started looking at Ford trucks. I'm interested in the 2015 F150 Supercrew 3.5 Eco 4x4 XLT short cab model. I found a dealer advertising their internet pricing ( 200 miles away) substantially lower than dealers in my area. There are some trucks that meet my above criteria with a MSRP of 48k minus the package discounts from Ford that brings the MSRP to 46.5K with an internet pricing around 35K. Does this sound like a bait and switch at that deep of a discount. It was not on 1 truck but many in this price range of XLT.
Sept 7 2015 I bought a F150 super crew Xlt 2.7 with pkg 302a, chrome pkg. Msrp was 42,250. Almost 7000 in rebates, discount almost 8000. Price before tax and tile fees was 27,800. Out the door almost 31,000. I felt good about it. 28k for a nicely loaded xlt.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:07 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robskater
Sept 7 2015 I bought a F150 super crew Xlt 2.7 with pkg 302a, chrome pkg. Msrp was 42,250. Almost 7000 in rebates, discount almost 8000. Price before tax and tile fees was 27,800. Out the door almost 31,000. I felt good about it. 28k for a nicely loaded xlt.
best deal I've read of here on the interweb ......who and where is this dealer........I'll let them sell me a truck this weekend for #s like that

Old 10-17-2015, 12:56 AM
Robskater
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
best deal I've read of here on the interweb ......who and where is this dealer........I'll let them sell me a truck this weekend for #s like that
Perry ford of national city, San Diego. Yeah I was pretty happy about it.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Winky23
New to the forum and wanted to comment on pricing. 2 friends recently purchased 2015 XLT's in the last month. Friend saved approximately 11k off MSRP of 48k and the other saved a little over 13k off an MSRP of 45K. I purchased a Platinum and saved Over 9K. All this is before TTT+ dealer fees.
Welcome and congrats!

Old 10-17-2015, 04:50 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Robskater
Perry ford of national city, San Diego. Yeah I was pretty happy about it.
When I was stationed in San Diego I took a couple young sailors down there to get vehicles, the 8% sales tax is no joke.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the 8% sales tax is no joke
If you live out of state you shouldn't have to pay in state sales tax. Politicians like to say 1% increase in sales tax won't even affect you.. but when you buy something big like a house or car its a big number.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:59 PM
elemint
Elder User
You did not save anything. The price of the truck is the price of the truck. There is probably literally a 100% markup on trucks. It is why they are the biggest profit generator for the big 3. MSRP is a marketing tool and nothing more. So when you think you are saving $13000.00, you are probably getting taken for $2000k more than you should. But if everyone is happy, maybe it does not matter. Sadly the big 3 don't realize that MSRP scares many people away and they don't even attempt to buy a vehicle. I bet they lose 20% of sales by playing the antiquated MSRP game.

Originally Posted by Winky23
New to the forum and wanted to comment on pricing. 2 friends recently purchased 2015 XLT's in the last month. Friend saved approximately 11k off MSRP of 48k and the other saved a little over 13k off an MSRP of 45K. I purchased a Platinum and saved Over 9K. All this is before TTT+ dealer fees.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:44 PM
Winky23
New User
I probably should have worded that differently and stated what we paid below MSRP.
My friend paid 13K below MSRP. I paid around 9K below. Now I'm thinking I they got me for 6K.
Damn, that salesman was good!

Originally Posted by elemint
You did not save anything. The price of the truck is the price of the truck. There is probably literally a 100% markup on trucks. It is why they are the biggest profit generator for the big 3. MSRP is a marketing tool and nothing more. So when you think you are saving $13000.00, you are probably getting taken for $2000k more than you should. But if everyone is happy, maybe it does not matter. Sadly the big 3 don't realize that MSRP scares many people away and they don't even attempt to buy a vehicle. I bet they lose 20% of sales by playing the antiquated MSRP game.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:31 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
You guys are funny. The only place they got you on either of those deals is on excessive doc fees, bumping the rates beyond market figures, or something else on the back end.
If you travel far and wide because you think you found a better deal by thousands of dollars difference on a current model you've probably wasted your time and now have no sympathy from your local dealer. There are lots of rebates that one person can get that another cant. Or exist on one vin, but not any other. If they took $9k off sticker, no one made $6k on the deal except maybe Ford themselves, I don't really study their profit structure (because I want the businesses I like working with to make money)

Old 10-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Robskater
Freshman User

28K, plus TTT. I felt good but the MSRP is out to lunch. Some pay it I guess but a little research and you will do MUCH better. I wish I could get 15K off of a car I am trying to get for my wife. She wants an Explorer or Flex and they don't budge nearly as much as the trucks do.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
they don't budge nearly as much as the trucks do
It's mostly rebates. I'd take a lot of F150s over a lot of Flexs and Explorers. The dealers make as much as the beginning of the year as they do the end. The exception is really old leftovers which the dealers often take a real loss on and the OEM still gets their check. 2015 F150 rebates started at like $1000, now they are normally closer to $5000 and with the right boxes checked and be more. That's not money the dealer has to work with, that's money Ford has to work with. The higher the MSRP, the more a dealer has (it's all percentages over cost). The rebates are actually much better controlled than they used to be, so while I can argue (and do) that MSRP has stayed fairly in line with inflation, the true purchase prices have gone up a fair amount. I'm not sure how much of this is OEM profits, vs cost of materials, but it's happening.

MSRP is a marketing tool and nothing more.... I bet they lose 20% of sales by playing the antiquated MSRP game.
It's also the value the banks set on a vehicle. This is pretty good for the consumer because we can un-bury you from a bad loan or get someone with less than great credit approved on a new vehicle when we wouldn't have a chance on a used one. I be we don't lose any sales because of the MSRP aspect. Think about it. Every truck manufacturer does it. If anything, I have lost sales because Fords discounts aren't always as good as Ram or Chevy. Most people (and I mean MOST) are poor at comparing two different trucks. So they look at sticker price and who is giving a bigger discount and call that a "better deal". This is especially true for the very light duty trucks (150, 1500).

Old 10-19-2015, 10:18 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Saving off msrp is "saving"......as you'll find out later when you find out how under water you are with your truck.....I would urge anyone to seek out the best deal they can, all the post sale "care" of the dealer won't make up for being crushed by an overpriced initial purchase.....while this applies more to those who don't buy vehicles with intent of running them into the ground, money saved is money saved.....unless $5,000 , $7,500, $10,000..... $12,000 isn't significant to you.....then just find a dealer that makes you feel warm and fuzzy

Old 10-21-2015, 08:38 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Your negative equity is not part of market values and a bit silly to consider. If you buy a used truck and trade it in within a year you're likely to take a hosing too. Retail purchase price is higher than trade in value almost always, because that's how any market works. Further, since nobody wants to put any money down, at the very least you are also adding tax, tags, and title work the the amount financed. In some states, they tax the MSRP regardless of what you pay. That may be a sour deal, but you'll have to vote different to help change that. If you are a short term owner, then just lease them. I'm not saying you should pay MSRP, but within $1000, especially if you are looking across state lines where laws can be very different, is going to be hard to genuinely make up. Plus, when you're sitting and honestly ready to buy the truck at the dealership you're sitting at is the only way to get us to really feel the heat. Otherwise you're just asking us to work for free so the guy down the street makes less money. I don't dislike the other local dealers so I don't play those games. Come work with me or don't. Once you determine that I gave you a really fair price right off the bat and you want to work with me, come in and do so and I'll make it happen.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Frantz
Your negative equity is not part of market values and a bit silly to consider. If you buy a used truck and trade it in within a year you're likely to take a hosing too. Retail purchase price is higher than trade in value almost always, because that's how any market works. Further, since nobody wants to put any money down, at the very least you are also adding tax, tags, and title work the the amount financed. In some states, they tax the MSRP regardless of what you pay. That may be a sour deal, but you'll have to vote different to help change that. If you are a short term owner, then just lease them. I'm not saying you should pay MSRP, but within $1000, especially if you are looking across state lines where laws can be very different, is going to be hard to genuinely make up. Plus, when you're sitting and honestly ready to buy the truck at the dealership you're sitting at is the only way to get us to really feel the heat. Otherwise you're just asking us to work for free so the guy down the street makes less money. I don't dislike the other local dealers so I don't play those games. Come work with me or don't. Once you determine that I gave you a really fair price right off the bat and you want to work with me, come in and do so and I'll make it happen.
My deals usually go down after I do my research and decide what exactly I want. I then check what the trade in value of my vehicle is worth. I find a particular model I want on a dealer's website and the price they are asking for it and then I determine what I can afford. I contact a salesperson and set up a time to see the vehicle. If I like it I present my numbers to the salesperson and see if they can make it happen. If they can, great. If they can't I thank them for their time and shake hands. I don't waver from my price. My time is valuable and so is the salesperson's. I try to spend as little time at a dealership as possible. The Last three new vehicle purchases from start to finish have been under an hour and a half. Have I left some on the table? Possibly. But I haven't regretted any of the purchases. If I feel like I got a good deal and everyone was able to make some money I am happy.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:41 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Rolling off the lot with a new vehicle and being upside down is not same as getting reemed on selling price. I worked as automobile salesperson for a bit in the late '90s and it's the same now as then everything is pushed towards monthly note while actual selling price, trade in if you have one and anything else is damn near forbidden to discussion. I don't doubt for a second there's honest hard working salespeople out there ( i.e.Frantz ) but I've yet to come across a dealer who wasn't about making the most coin on deal. Looking back I recall more than once to where even the desk managers were like OMG I can't believe they bought that for that much......all I'm saying is don't be that guy

Quick Reply: pricing