Aerostar Ford Aerostar

What tires to buy?

Old 08-02-2003, 10:50 PM
MO51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What tires to buy?

My '96 w/130K miles needs new tires, having gotten the 80K out of a great set of Michelins Radial "X" from Costco. I'm told (in Sacramento) Michelin doesn't make 215/75/14 any longer. If not, any recommendations of others? Don't want harsh ride, just long lasting tires.

Old 08-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Kerry
New User
What tires to buy?

Tires are getting hard to find in this size. The pickings are getting slimmer.

The last tires I bought were Uniroyal NailGuards on my 95 2WD. So far they've been good. They did lose their balance after 15-20K ( which is really no big deal ) and a dealer told me that these tires need an occasional re-balance. I don't know if Uniroyal still makes this size.

About a year and a half ago when I was looking for tires, I recall that Continental makes a pricey tire. I also found that Michelin doesn't make anything. I also recall that GoodYear had a low cost tire in this size.

Anyone know what other cars / trucks use this size?

Old 08-03-2003, 01:08 PM
CdnSoldier
Senior User
What tires to buy?

Try Walmart, I'm not a Walmart fan. I'm Canadian, but I found that size there at have the cost. There are two other companies that make that size. I may switch to 15s. New rims and tyres. I found some Ford 15s( Ranger type or Explorers) at the recyclers for 100$ Cdn each.

Old 08-03-2003, 05:53 PM
Jarlaxle
Elder User
What tires to buy?

I like Cooper--they still make the Lifeliner & the Trendsetter in a 215/75R14.

Old 08-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Timothyap5vm
Senior User
What tires to buy?

My Family use only B.F Goodrich tires on our cars. They are quiet and last a long time.

Old 08-03-2003, 11:58 PM
MO51
Senior User
What tires to buy?

Originally posted by CdnSoldier
Try Walmart, I'm not a Walmart fan. I'm Canadian, but I found that size there at have the cost. There are two other companies that make that size. I may switch to 15s. New rims and tyres. I found some Ford 15s( Ranger type or Explorers) at the recyclers for 100$ Cdn each.
Wouldn' t 15" tires be cutting it pretty close for room in the rear? Hardly any room for snow chains as it is?.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:21 AM
rickm5
Senior User
What tires to buy?

i've got firestone firehawk P225/70 R14 tires on my 91 aerostar. they were previously called firehawk SS20"s now they are called firehawk indy 500"s. they have a traction rating of"A" and a temperature rating of"B". i haven't had any problems with them. mine are raised white letter, ...just because . i think they look good too!! rick

Old 08-04-2003, 10:22 AM
CdnSoldier
Senior User
What tires to buy?

SnowChains? Why would you need them? Most of us here don't require them. The only time I used them was on my wifes Explorer. Going ice fishing. I see your from Cal. thought so. Its not hard to drive from my Igloo to the Logcabin Super Store. HAHA.
The only ones that use chains are people that cross the Rockies. Its manditory for trucks in winter.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:23 AM
CdnSoldier
Senior User
What tires to buy?

You can fit any wheel upto a 16. Its the fronts that you have to worry about.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:48 AM
merczephyr
Junior User
What tires to buy?

I have a set of Goodyear Regatta's from Sam's Club. 70,000 mile road hazard, for $300, mounted/balanced, with lifetime balancing/rotation for free. They did pretty well in snow/ice, are quiet, and wear like iron. I've had mine on for 2 years, and they still have the red paint lines between the treads.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:07 AM
RangerRuss
Elder User
What tires to buy?

MO51: A trip to the website Tirerack.com should be helpful. They represent many tire manufacturers and I have found that their rating system is very valuable. Be sure to read the reviews for any tire that you are considering and the ratings. On our minivan we have Yokohama Avid Touring tires which are very smooth. My Ranger sports a set of Kumho which are more than adequate.

Their prices are very reasonable and arrive either UPS of Fedex within a couple of days. A little bit of homework should provide you with a good choice.

Russ

Old 08-06-2003, 10:48 PM
cjwagn
New User
What tires to buy?

Just curious but it sounds like some have put on bigger tires than what came on the van. If so what size? We have been told not to put bigger ones on.

Tire chains? wow if it comes to that i just bring the truck out. lol
even with my AWD van. If someone going to hit me because of road conditions they going to feel it lol

Old 08-07-2003, 11:54 AM
68torino
Posting Guru
What tires to buy?

I just put a set of Dean Quasar Plus on my '91. Very good all around true all weather tread patten. They go up to 215/70R14.
They also have SUV and pickup tires.

Last edited by 68torino; 08-07-2003 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Stephenluck
New User
Wink What tires to buy?

I've heard lots of complaints about Aerostar ride, handling, cornering and tires. I have a like-new '86 XLT with 183,000 mi that I bought new, and it rides great and corners as well as anything I've ever owned. And I drive FAST. Here's how: Tires are the #1 thing. I finally broke down and at 80,000 put Michelin XH4 treads on it, despite the $20/tire higher cost. One of the best investments ever. They were awesome for both handling, traction and comfort. They are now gone, and the Michelin X-1 set I just put on (purchased as the Sears Agility tire) are nothing short of fantastic (the X-1 superceded the XH4 I am told). My van came with 205/75R14, and I'm now running 215/70R14 at 35 psig on OEM aluminum wheels. The speedo is 4% fast, but that's a small price to pay, and it helps keep me under the limit. Tires alone won't do the whole job. Before I started with Michelins, I was replacing stabilizer bushings every 10,000 miles. Before my first Michelins, my search for a good bushing led me to the NAPA 265-1285 link kit. I've replaced them only once since then. To complete the picture, three years ago I finally broke down after many years of idle threats and added a Hellwig rear sway kit, via JC Whitney (Note: the U-bolts were too short for the axle, which Hellwig replaced immediately.) I should have spent the $100 over 15 years ago --- rear sway disappeared and the remaining little front sway was gone, also. Ford should have included this jewel from the factory. So there you have the solution: good sway bar bushings in front, a good rear sway bar, and Michelin X-1 tires all around will have you looking for curvy roads. The only thing you will miss will be the passengers in the third row throwing up!

Old 08-08-2003, 12:41 AM
BigWhiteTurdVan
New User
What tires to buy?

I have 235-75-15s on my aerostar and they worked great after i clearanced the fenders and quarter panels a little, lifted it an inch and a half, and put rancho 9000's on it. It also jumps good and bajas great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What tires to buy?