1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Turn Signal Switch Wire colors 1955

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Turn Signal Switch Wire colors 1955

Well I'm trying to wire my turn signal switch and I'm not sure what wires go where. The original switch I have has different wire colors than other places I have seen.
Here are my wire colors next to them I put what I think they go to:
Green ---------------Right Rear
Blue -----------------Flasher
Green-white stripe ---Left Front
Green-red stripe ------??????
White-blue stripe -----Right Front
Orange-blue stripe -----??????

That leaves me the Stoplight Switch and Left Rear. (Assuming I have the others correct.)
Any suggestions? I figure I can do trial and error, but it would be good to have the correct info for historical sake.

Here is the turn signal schematic that is popular:

Here is the picture of my wires. The colors are a little hard to make out though.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Can you look at the connections of the wires in the switch? That would be the surest way.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:02 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
You could also check them with an ohm meter. Since you know the others, the two rears would be readily apparent, left and right.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:27 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Usually the color coding is a little more consistent. Like red = LF, red/white stripe = LR; blue = RF, blue/white stripe = RR. If the white/ blue stripe and orange/ blue stripe listed above were really blue with white and orange stripes, I'd say he's got it right.

Could the green really be the Pilot light? or do 55's have individual indicators?

Old 09-12-2015, 08:20 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well I got it figured out. I took the switch out and sat with my ohm meter and the turn signal schematic. I was aoff a bit in my previous post.
Here is the color code. You would think all stock switches had the same color wires used, but you never know.

Green ---------------Stoplight
Green-red stripe ------Left Rear
Orange-blue stripe -----Right Rear

Now looking at that, it makes a little sense.
stripes are lights, solids are power and switches
Green with stripe is front
Blue stripe is rear

Too often I look for the solution documented somewhere instead of digging in and studying the parts closely. Well hopefully it helps the next person trying to wire turn signals.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Well I got it figured out. I took the switch out and sat with my ohm meter and the turn signal schematic. I was aoff a bit in my previous post.
Here is the color code. You would think all stock switches had the same color wires used, but you never know.

Blue stripe is rear

Too often I look for the solution documented somewhere instead of digging in and studying the parts closely. Well hopefully it helps the next person trying to wire turn signals.
Way to go! Glad you got it figured out!

Old 06-18-2020, 07:17 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Blue stripe is rear

Hi Joe! My search found this old Thread as I dig into my turn signal wires. I appreciate what you shared. The wires on my F350 are the same.colors. I assume you used your original switch and wires? They look like they were in pretty good shape. My problem is my wire loom only has 5 wires going to the turn signal. Any ideas or suggestions?

Edit......After studying the diagram I think I figured it out? Do any of these trucks have flashers?? Where are they located?? I never remember having a flasher switch on my truck. I guess i just will not hook the blue wire up to anything?

Old 06-18-2020, 06:34 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Maybe this will help some as well. I added a fuse panel and a headlight relay. I do have a diagram without the headlight relay as well.
This diagram has more notes than the non relay diagram.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:43 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Here is a picture of my flasher unit. It was just tucked up in the dash. Yeah, a terrible picture. It's the silver can hanging down.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:28 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Here is a picture of my flasher unit. It was just tucked up in the dash. Yeah, a terrible picture. It's the silver can hanging down.
LOL No under dash pictures are good Joe. Our simple minds are not geared to work upside down. LOL So here is one of those "dumb" questions.......When you say flashers, do you mean the blinker or hazards(both lights flash)? My thought was the blue wire was for a flasher(hazard lights) No such thing as a Hazard light on these old trucks is there? LOL So I guess I better look for that "flasher" and see if I can hook the blue wire up to it some how. I have always dreaded the wiring part of this build! LOL

Old 06-18-2020, 08:08 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I don't know of any hazard lights. Just the blinking turn signals.You need that little thing if you want them to blink when you turn the lever.
Yeah, the wiring is a deal. That's why I spent quite a bit of time creating diagrams like the one above. And since I recently did work that required unhooking the dash, I have issues and did a couple of stupid things putting it back together.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:46 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
I don't know of any hazard lights. Just the blinking turn signals.You need that little thing if you want them to blink when you turn the lever.
Yeah, the wiring is a deal. That's why I spent quite a bit of time creating diagrams like the one above. And since I recently did work that required unhooking the dash, I have issues and did a couple of stupid things putting it back together.
Look what I found digging through a couple of boxes! LOL It even has the blue wire. Now I just have to figure out what the orange/yellow wire connects to! Thanks for your help Joe!

Edit - Looking at your diagram it looks like the orange/yellow wire goes to the ignition switch.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:58 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
There you go, now you are on a roll

Old 06-19-2020, 08:42 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Joe, so you don't have 4 way flashers on your truck?

You need a flasher unit for the turn signals and one for the 4 ways.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:12 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
Joe, so you don't have 4 way flashers on your truck?

You need a flasher unit for the turn signals and one for the 4 ways.
Sounds like you are getting all custom cab stuff, you darksider you.
How would that work? I would assume you need a button to engage the 4 way flashers. I there a place on the dash for it?

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Switch Wire colors 1955