6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bessie's Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:56 PM
SuperVossen
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bessie's Thread

Okay guys, i have a 03 6.0L i call Bessie with a good bit done to it. To explain whats happening i think i'll go ahead and list all thats done to it.
-Full Bulletproof package w/ cold weather kit
(EGR+ Oil Cooler+ Oil Filter)
-Liberator Performance Heads
-Chromoly Pushrods
-190/75 ID injectors
-Bulletproof FICM(running 52V)
-Banks Teknicooler w/ high ram
-Synister R/R
-ARP Head Studs
-90GPH FASS mated to stock HPP(bought the 90GPH before i had 190's)
-Stage 2 Water/Meth from Snow Performance
-Rousche Intake
-Magnaflow 4" from Turbo
-Stock Turbo(funds keeping me from an upgrade)
-Stock Tranny(again... Funding)
-Livewire TS with Extreme Tunes from IDP
-6" lift from BDS( all suspension no blocks)
-37"x14.5" tires with 22" wheels
-Everything else is either a cosmetic or interior upgrade with is not applicable to the scenario

So... the trucks runs great with the exception of two things.
1. The truck will randomly have an excessive idle when warm, almost like it is thinking the truck is cold. Although i don't see that from my gauges. Everything is within parameters.
2. On a 3 hour trip recently. I heard what i believe was turbo chatter when letting off of a 1/4-1/2 throttle GENTLY. Don't be mistaken i am not hearing chatter as if the boost was blowing off from the VGT. I am pretty sure of this due to the fact that my gauge(which is plumbed into the high ram) never showed a decrease in pressure. Also there was no notable loss of power. On this same trip i was messing with a guy in a camaro and under full throttle this chatter became a surge/chatter and i could feel power loss from each chatter. i would say about 45 milliseconds between each chatter. I immediately let off and it cleared up. Now my question about this is, Would the EGR not being able to hold the back-pressure from the exhaust side cause this or would it be that the turbo needs to be replaced? I.E. turbo has slack in the shaft or?

A little off topic, I am at UMMC in Jackson, MS my wife just had our baby and she was premature. Weighing 1lb 3oz. I would love to just go tearing it down and see whats wrong. I just don't have the liberty of giving up my DD right now lol. As you could probably imagine i have been taking it easy since the little spout with the Camaro. Any knowledge or advice on this issue would be appreciated greatly.

Last edited by SuperVossen; 09-08-2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-08-2015, 06:10 PM
SuperVossen
Senior User
Also an afterthought, i know it's not related but i also have a 270 amp DC Power Alternator. Just thought i might throw that in and use it as a bump

Old 09-08-2015, 07:32 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What is coolant temps at when warm? Excessive idle could be EBP sensor or ICP. Unplug one and see what happens, clear the CEL after your test and its plugged in... then go to the next one and try again. Verify no oil in the ICP plug.

Pull the intake and check the turbo, just reach in an see if you have play in the shafts and that it spins freely.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:53 PM
SuperVossen
Senior User
coolant never ever gets above 215 and oil rarely seen above 210. even when i am getting on it in traffic with the A/C on. The ICP was my guess but i haven't had an opportunity to check it being up here with my daughter. And as soon as i can i am going to check the shaft. With that being said would you entertain the idea of the EGR allowing exhaust gasses to enter the intake under 35+ PSI runs?

Old 12-01-2015, 04:45 PM
SuperVossen
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
What is coolant temps at when warm? Excessive idle could be EBP sensor or ICP. Unplug one and see what happens, clear the CEL after your test and its plugged in... then go to the next one and try again. Verify no oil in the ICP plug.

Pull the intake and check the turbo, just reach in an see if you have play in the shafts and that it spins freely.
I figured out all of my problems(i think) but this may be turning into an upgrade post rather than a (whats wrong with it) post.
Turns out, I had .0050" play from end to end on my turbo. I should be getting my new Mad Max in a few days. So that fixes that issue.
I do have Oil in the ICP. changing that to an 05+ sensor to see if that alleviates the high idle.
Also the EBP on an 03 is not used in the PCM strategy come to find out. So that leaves the ICP.
Now that thats cleared up i have purchased quite a few things to help Bessie out.
150Gph Raptor HPFP replacement
BPD water pump
BD manifolds(with gaskets)
MBRP Y-pipe
and a few other goodies i'll put in the pics

Old 12-01-2015, 04:59 PM
SuperVossen
Senior User
Old 12-01-2015, 05:10 PM
SuperVossen
Senior User

Old Headers

Old 12-01-2015, 05:16 PM
SuperVossen
Senior User
On a side note... anyone want to buy 6.0 headers? I'm going to clean them up if anyone is interested. Nothing wrong with them, just wanted the thicker manifolds from BD.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:59 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If the ICP connector has oil in it, needs a new pig tail put on and a new ICP sensor as well.

That left side exhaust manifold have a bung for a temp probe?

Old 12-02-2015, 01:10 AM
SuperVossen
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
If the ICP connector has oil in it, needs a new pig tail put on and a new ICP sensor as well.

That left side exhaust manifold have a bung for a temp probe?
Yea I have both coming already.. like I said above I'm changing it to the 05-07 style. Word is they are more reliable. And it does have a threaded port on both the BD and my old manifolds as well

Old 12-02-2015, 10:14 AM
SuperVossen
Senior User
Another thing is that wire loom... anyone try wrapping those wires in anything other than the plastic loom that always gets brittle and falls apart?

Old 12-10-2015, 03:21 AM
SuperVossen
Senior User
Jeeeze... okay i have everything on... except those fricken bolts that connect the up-pipe to the manifold. I cannot get a backup on the drivers side bolt on the cab side of the flange. I have tried for hours with no luck. I have never had a single bolt that was so aggravating.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:48 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
First off non-truck question.
How are the wife and baby doing?

Now on to truck questions.
Do you have all the piping bolts loose or have you tried to install
and torque each one? You want to loosely install all the bolts and nuts
and once they are all in place and the turbo is settled into it spot.
You can start at the turbo pipes and tighten them and next the turbo mount
bolts. Last ones to do are the up pipe bolts.

If you celebrate Christmas. Get the baby a tree ornament each year. Make
it something special each year.

Merry Christmas

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 12-10-2015, 10:30 AM
SuperVossen
Senior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
First off non-truck question.
How are the wife and baby doing?

Now on to truck questions.
Do you have all the piping bolts loose or have you tried to install
and torque each one? You want to loosely install all the bolts and nuts
and once they are all in place and the turbo is settled into it spot.
You can start at the turbo pipes and tighten them and next the turbo mount
bolts. Last ones to do are the up pipe bolts.

If you celebrate Christmas. Get the baby a tree ornament each year. Make
it something special each year.
She is doing well just not feeding like the NICU wants her to... which is while she is sleeping(during the day) She takes all her feedings at night while she is awake. She is like her dad in that respect, i am a night owl. Mom is not, period. lol She is having a rough time. And Haley(my wife) has the ornament covered. She already bought one for this year for my daughter, she even has them for each of our anniversaries.

As for the truck.. i have every bolt in, turbo is snug and everything lines up perfectly. i have two of the four bolts that connect the Y-pipe/Up-pipe to the manifolds snug... but i got stuck on the one on the drivers side that is sandwiched between the y-pipe and the firewall. I just can't get a wrench on it to snug the thing up! Doesn't help that there is some heat wrap on the firewall that is apparently fiberglass based and was eating my hands for breakfast. I have tried from every conceivable angle, I don't know what i could do differently to make it go smoother. I have tried a ratchet and socket, open end box end wrench. No luck with either.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I am trying to think of just how I did that one when I had the top
half off my engine. I do recall sockets and long extensions. I might of
used a ratcheting wrench in that mix. I do recall I was under the truck
reaching up to do it. I would go out and look but it raining buckets again/still.

Are you trying to do this from the top? I can see where that would be a problem.

Merry Christmas

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bessie's Thread