1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I said Id expose my 9" BRAKE MISTAKE.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
OK, OK, since I was the first one to give you guff over this...

If you've read my build thread, you've seen my many mistakes... the ones I've admitted anyway.

But I failed to document my error when first attempting to set the timing. I removed the vacuum line from the carb as instructed in the manual. Boy was I surprised when I fired it up to see all that gas coming out of it...

As my Daddy used to say, "We all make stakes".

Old 09-08-2015, 12:31 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I literally tried to tilt my head to figure out what I was looking at, then the neck bone popped. Hey brother, Kuddos to you! I can only guess what a PIA it was to get the parking brake cables hooked up.
I changed out a fuel pump on my FE, forgot to put the oil sending unit back on. That was a mess.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:15 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
We've all BTDT something similar, so don't beat yourself up too bad. If nothing else someone else can possibly learn from this (don't forget to post a "right" way photo after you switch it) and it re-emphasizes why you should take plenty of pictures while working on your truck. As said tho, it doesn't necessarily mean it was right to begin with, so check and recheck.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:47 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
LOL, are you sure the axle isn't upside down?! Hard to believe the hard lines reached the wheel cylinders with them on the bottom.
No, the vent is on the top, but that was my first thought that someone had it set up for above the springs. Thanks Ross

Old 09-08-2015, 02:01 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
I haven't been back out to the garage yet today, but after realizing I cant jut remove the backing plate bolts and spin the backing plates and then transfer the brake parts, as then the parking brake cables would be facing the rear. Im realizing Ill have to pull the axles (what a mess) and transfer the backing plates to there proper side. Of course I haven't even finished my coffee yet LOL. You guys are sure good sports about this. I can only imagine if I was over on that other site. Ill guess I should call this one the good, the bad, and the stupid.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:49 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As a result of always trying to keep myself in check I have become somewhat self effacing sometimes to the point of killing my confidence. When I make a mistake I always give myself up. One of my truck buddies commented on it. Shortly after that I made some mechanical blunder involving a two pound hammer. Now he understands. Everyone can't graduate at the head of the class.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:01 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by filthy6
As a result of always trying to keep myself in check I have become somewhat self effacing sometimes to the point of killing my confidence. When I make a mistake I always give myself up. One of my truck buddies commented on it. Shortly after that I made some mechanical blunder involving a two pound hammer. Now he understands. Everyone can't graduate at the head of the class.
Now that's a fact, I never said I was good, just willing

Old 09-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Making mistakes is how we all learn and improve. When I was 19 or 20 I dropped a nut down the distributor hole after a engine removal, re-seal, reinstall.....on a customers car....at work. Guess what? I made an adjustment and next time I had any open hole I tape it well. Even to this day I think about that lesson every time I have anything open. I'm guessing you made an adjustment to your work methods and next time you will be better for it.

Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Oh well I just have to laugh and move on. I hope this drops to the bottom of the page quickly.
Now posting about it on a public forum... Depending on how long this thread goes on for...You might make an adjustment there as well lol

Old 09-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Mediarocker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicholas+
Making mistakes is how we all learn and improve. When I was 19 or 20 I dropped a nut down the distributor hole after a engine removal, re-seal, reinstall.....on a customers car....at work. Guess what? I made an adjustment and next time I had any open hole I tape it well. Even to this day I think about that lesson every time I have anything open. I'm guessing you made an adjustment to your work methods and next time you will be better for it.
Hell out of habit, I tape and plug holes. On my Carb when I remove the pancake filter for better access, I make sure to close my choke (2bbl) just in case!! I learned the hard way too. CHASING BOLTS DOWN INTAKE RUNNERS IS NO FUN!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:14 AM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
Don't feel bad, we have all done some crazy things. Most of us just don't have the guts to post it with pictures. Enjoyed the post

Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,778 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Jimmy,
We've all done things like that. Anyone who says they haven't is probably stretching the truth a bit.

Once, a long time ago. I was working in a Cadillac dealership. I had the top end of an engine apart. I got it all back together and all the accessories on right about closing time. Since it was after hours I just dumped all my tools in the solvent tank figuring I'd deal with it in the morning.
In the morning I came in, reached into the solvent tank and pulled out tools and both rocker shafts and rockers....ooops!

We learn from our mistakes. Thanks for sharing, its nice to know that I'm not alone in the world

Bobby

Old 09-10-2015, 11:21 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
A young journalism major was interviewing a prosperous bank president for one of his assigned papers. The interview took place in the bank president's well-appointed office. After the interview the student asked the bank president how he came to be so successful. The man replied, "right decisions". The student asked, "how does one come to make right decisions". The man replied, "experience". The student said I have just one more question, "how does one gain experience". That's simple said the man, "wrong decisions".

Jimmy, I feel that your "wrong decision" will make you very successful when it comes time to work on brakes again. You are a "doer", and doers become experts for life. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:44 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Looks OK if I turn my laptop upside down. Don't worry Jim, your human too.