Jailbar woody wagon

Old 02-19-2017, 11:30 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Love the STA Super Traxions. Perfect period look, as are the fronts but admit I don't recognize them.

Glad you've sorted out your body lines at the rear doors. Looks right. I assume the next benchmark is buttoning up the engine and getting clutch and tranny installed. Are you gonna need to freshen up that three speed, or is it good to go? Then what's next, wiring, window hardware, seats to let you go vroom vroom? Stu

Old 02-19-2017, 03:41 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Love the STA Super Traxions. Perfect period look, as are the fronts but admit I don't recognize them.

Glad you've sorted out your body lines at the rear doors. Looks right. I assume the next benchmark is buttoning up the engine and getting clutch and tranny installed. Are you gonna need to freshen up that three speed, or is it good to go? Then what's next, wiring, window hardware, seats to let you go vroom vroom? Stu
Thanks all for the kind words. As for the sequence I think I'll hang the rear doors next (I just ordered some nice HD hinges) and then get all the doors latched so If I feel like a test run I'm not running around collecting bungee cords. Then next will be remove the ugly smashed up front clip, and do all the brakes with new lines and wheel cylinders which are already here, front end and wiring up front while there's still no engine in the way. Then install the engine/tranny etc. Actually this morning I remade the inset panels for the rear quarters with the same 3/8 marine plywood as the rest of the panels in preparation for veneering all the panels with ash. A friend has a stack of 12" wide ash veneers all from one log, sequentially laid out. The pieces are 8' long so I'll be able to run front to rear with the same 'board'. I have subscribed to 'The Woodie Times' for a year now so I have seen lots of woodie photos and have decided to do the blonde on blonde look rather than the deep red mahogany inserts. As a rough guess it seems maybe 40% of the woodies out there are this type. I think ford would do them either way, and of course since my theme is a working man's wood station wagon, I'm staying away from the cliches of surf boards and related gear. (Think step ladder on the roof, and dirty coveralls, not a Hawaiian shirt). I should be picking up the ash veneers this afternoon. As for the tires I always run traction tires on the rear of all my trucks. Those of you that have made the trip up Mt. Pickett know why. Those fronts are Power King 'super hiway'. Both sets are load range C. I have painted a couple of wheels up and am excited to mount some tires with new tubes. Our lilacs are budding and it won't be long before warmer weather is the norm. I better get back to the shop and get something else done.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:21 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Well my friend with the veneers unburried some birch veneers that were in better shape and in the end the ash veneer were just a bit too narrow. Today I pulled all the inset panels out to veneer tomorrow since my buddy is taking an extended retirement vacation starting next week. My wagon looks like a turkey carcass 3 days after Thangsgiving. Birch was used by ford for lots of woodie panels. A guy posted this pic up today on fordbarn and that clinched the decision to go with birch panels (and a similar green paint)

Attached Images    
Old 02-22-2017, 11:26 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I notice the suicide rear doors on his. which was original? I am amazed at your talent and i did woodwork for many years.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:25 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Pretty sure a '47 ford woodie had regular doors in the rear. This photo is of a '40. Either way, there is no right or wrong on a truck based one off woodie, as they were built however the builder or customer wanted. I guess I never thought about it. Like so much on this project I just grabbed some tools and went after it. Then I had to scratch my head to make it all work, and there are many more hurdles ahead, like opening glass, rain gutters, door latching, seats, rear bumper and all the mechanicals. I think I'm into it for 1 1/2 years now, but maybe no more then 3500.00 and that includes tires and tubes, and all engine and brake parts, which are on hand.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 PM
Captain Sygo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, GB - did you see this CL ad in LA today? It's for a '47 woodie, for only $89K.
Yours will be nicer!
Captain Sygo

Old 03-01-2017, 10:05 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Captain Sygo
Hey, GB - did you see this CL ad in LA today? It's for a '47 woodie, for only $89K.
Yours will be nicer!
Captain Sygo
Thank you friend and neighbor, but although i think I'm building a pretty cool truck, it will never be nearly as amazing as that well kept original.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:27 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Set my birch panels in just to see how they look. Getting ready to pull the front clip. You can see I started with a pretty good cowl. After engine/brakes etc I will assemble the better sheet metal I have into a decent front clip. None of it is excellent, just better than what was there. Good enough for me.

Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2017, 10:51 PM
FireEngineMike
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks really good!

Old 03-01-2017, 11:35 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
It's looking really well! Blonde on Blonde is a good choice.

Blonde on Blonde is a Bob Dylan album and Dylan was obsessed Woody Guthrie.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:43 AM
bernette
Cargo Master
Received 138 Likes on 99 Posts
nice job! what type of product will you apply oh the wood!

Old 03-24-2017, 09:23 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bernette
nice job! what type of product will you apply oh the wood!
So far there is nothing on anything but the veneered panels. They have one coat of a marine product called shin-n-shore. It is a light bodied oil finish that is compatible with later coats of varnish. I plan on using old fashioned spar varnish in a satin finish. It is made by a company called McCloskys. I don't want it too glossy, but protected.

This evening after work I hung the rear doors. I made a router jig for mortising the butt hinges and it went well. I hope to engineer a latch system for the left hand door, top and bottom and then the right door latches to that. But for now the outer shell is complete with the exception of the header over the right rear windoe. I'm short one stick of maple....

Attached Images    
Old 03-25-2017, 03:21 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Will you put any kind of door checks on the rear doors?

Old 03-25-2017, 08:03 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Will you put any kind of door checks on the rear doors?
Yes, for sure. All six doors will need them. Most likely model A style leather straps, but the barn doors may get a metal scissors type like out panel truck doors. No gas shocks though. Gonna have to start thinking about glass. It can't be easy.....

Old 03-25-2017, 08:58 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
Gonna have to start thinking about glass. It can't be easy.....
Gary - I just texted my buddy Dave that still has his Mini to see if he has any old MK I slider tracks in his collection of junk. I got rid of all my stuff when I made the transition. He's gonna check and get back to me. I figured I could send them on loan so you could see if the new kits are a solution for you. That's if you're still thinking that direction. Stu

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jailbar woody wagon