Banks Powerpak System Vs...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:10 AM
ReadOrDie_WoW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Powerpak System Vs...?

Hey guys,

Getting ready to unload some cash in my 96, the first thing I want to do is get a few performance things sorted out. Debating on the powerpak kit from banks as a good starting point, however I don't need the exhaust kit, so I was wondering if there was a good alternative to this kit that anyone knows of? Planning on putting in a 5 inch exhaust from the turbo back with a single stack. The kit comes with their intercooler assembly, transcommand module, the "quick turbo" assembly, exhaust and a couple of gauges for around the tune of $3K. Everything but the motor is already planned, I don't know enough about PSDs to begin thinking about the mods.

The truck has been gone through already by ford and runs like a top (not to mention the E40D has been rebuilt as well...so I can hold off on the tranny for a bit). Its still pretty much stock atm, minus appearence, the riffraff 6637 kit (worth it!) the chevy towing mirrors mod and an edge programmer that I keep in tow mode.

For all intents and purposes the build is going to be for reliability over performance as I use this truck for work (off road) and I plan on changing a lot because I refuse to buy a newer truck. For the future, I'm putting in an air ride suspension, newer style axles (with dually conversion), custom flatbed, turbo, ect.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:54 AM
sean9049
Senior User
in terms of reliability, take that edge off and get a custom 6 position chip. the edges usually dont mesh well with the computer on our trucks.
there is a million and a half way of taking a stock truck and making it strong, fun and reliable. the best way to start out in my opinion is to get the truck more than ready for what youre going to be doing.
first and intake and exhaust. (6637 kit) (3 in downpipe, then to whatever size floats your boat, diamond eye is really good) i went the stack route and HATED it, made the cab super noisy, and now i have a hole in my bed...
then get gauges im unsure if banks has an overpriced kit, but im sure they probably do. i have autometers in my truck, boost, pyro, and trans temp if you have an auto is the usual setup.
then you could get an intercooler (DIY is MUCH cheaper but can be harder to piece together) , a better trans cooler (stock 6.0 or other new aftermarket ones), or a chip(custom tuned). its up to you.
then Electric Fuel, the diy method is again cheaper but can get confusing and annoying. theres about 4 kits that people make ranging from $700-$1200 i think i made mine for about $350 give or take
then its injectors(stage 1's for you to keep smoke down and plenty of power) and a HPOP (T500, Adrenaline, or Honey Badger)
Then its time for a turbo, there is a short list of people who are happy with a drop in turbo but its up to you (if it comes out soon enough CNC fab is in the process of making a drop in turbo that they say will be the best of its kind), if you do more research most choose a s366 t4 mount which means you would get new up pipes and have to make your own pedistal OR Irate Diesel has a complete kit but sometimes people have problems with the plenums leaking.
thats a setup a lot of people have and a lot of people love, and if you start doing mods to your truck, be prepared to never stop lol. and be prepared for about 10k worth of bills.
Others will chime in and help more this is my .02 for what its worth

Old 09-07-2015, 11:03 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Cheaper alternative is the DIY.
Custom tunes better than the banks canned tunes.
For my set up, the intercooler (cost free)7.3 intercooler pipes (came with all boost and clamps at a junk yard $150) 24" 3" exhaust pipe ($5), stage 1 rosewoods injectors($1250), tw custom tunes ($250), 3"down pipe to 4" straight diamond eye ($179), 6.0 fan ($90) rebuild stock turbo ($149) including both wheels. T500 hpop ($500)
Total cost $2,573
But you will be more than happy with the end results, rather than the banks kit will ever give you AND A PLUS you still save yourself over a 500 smacks and have the supporting mods for mo powa, and for over all daily use you will be happier

Old 09-07-2015, 04:19 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
One thing also is the CX racing ic kit is 500$ less.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:05 PM
ReadOrDie_WoW
Senior User
Thanks for the replies guys, couple of limitations I prolly should mentioned in the first post, first I'm limited on time, so I'll have to buy parts and get them installed, second is I'm not using salvage parts on this rig (not to say you can't get good salvage parts but ATM I live in the northeast so alot of the value of these parts can be forgotten cause they need extensive restoration from the get go)

Old 09-08-2015, 12:15 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
You lost me at the Chevy tow mirror mod. Like it has been said, much more and better can be done to your OBS for the amount of $$ it takes to get a Banks.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:07 AM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
"Everything but the motor is already planned, I don't know enough about PSDs to begin thinking about the mods."

Your original post led me to think you are wanting some basic supporting mods (intercooler, exhaust) before you build the motor. Am I on the right track or in left field?

Old 09-08-2015, 06:57 PM
ReadOrDie_WoW
Senior User
thats correct, eventually the whole motor will be done over, but for now I'm just trying to get it to a point where I don't have to worry to much about it. I already know what I want to do with the rest of the truck but the motor is the only thing I don't have dialed in just yet (and oddly enough its where I really wanna start first), I plan on changing the axles and tranny out soon, but not until I've gotten the motor perked up a bit first

considered letting a builder doing it also, just kinda weary of letting them have their way with the parts list on the block...

EDIT: My posting here will be a bit sporadic, I got alot going on atm lol, I am reading these replies though, keep em coming!

Old 09-09-2015, 12:25 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were to drop $3000 on my truck it most definitely would not be on Banks parts.
1) 6637, you already have this done.
2) Turbo back exhaust with a 3" downpipe ($400)
3) Gauges ($400)
4) T-500 ($460)
5) Hydra Chip ($500)
6) Trans Cooler ($200)
7) Intercooler (cx racing) ($900)

Prices are approximate. Then I'd start saving for the next round of mods which would include E-fuel, Injectors, and turbo. You definitely want to ditch that edge. Trust me.

Actually, I would DIY the IC and E-fuel in the first round, but it sounds like you don't have the time to DIY upgrades.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:39 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
You lost me at the Chevy tow mirror mod.
Yeah, that is also not my cup of tea.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:21 PM
ReadOrDie_WoW
Senior User
As far as the mirrors go... its the best option for powered mirrors (unless ya wanna spend like $2K for a powered west coast set off a semi and then hack and re-weld all the support arms [did this on a gas truck with manual mirrors]), they work great and let me easily see the rear of my 36 ft fifth wheel during transport, so until I find a ford part that actually works they're staying :P

The edge is gonna stick around til I can find something that works for gauges (it has audible alerts so I can ignore it for the most part [these are also customizable]) I hate the idea of having 12 different gauges in the cockpit I have to keep my eyes on all the time. On this note, I'd really like to find a way to tie some sort of system monitor into my GPS/DVD stereo...any ideas? Also, does anyone make a digital cluster like dakota digital for the PSD...or any idea on what may work instead?

As far as actual programming goes, I got a guy ready to get me a custum 6 position chip-set, as soon as I get some of the other stuff sorted out.

Is 3' the biggest I can get a downpipe? I've looked around a bit but can't seem to find any, not worried about needing body mods, the transmission is gonna make me cut and refab the firewall and floor anyways (either that or a frame off is possible) :P

Other than that I do agree with you guys so far, and I'm spending some spare time putting together a list atm.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:58 PM
sean9049
Senior User
if you werent 4 hours away i would offer my help for what its worth (harford co md)