Diesel HPR

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:47 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Diesel HPR

If you are in Washington or California you might want to try a bio diesel replacement called Diesel HPR. It exceeds the ASTM D975 diesel fuel requirement. 98 percent is made from biomass.

The about web page is About Diesel HPR | Propel Diesel HPR
The Tech Sheet is http://dieselhpr.com/assets/media/Di...cification.pdf

I have been running it in my 2012 250 diesel truck. It runs great and has reduced the number of regens.

I am on tank 5 no issues and the truck seems to like it.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like it's only available in CA? how much does it run per gallon?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:27 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Cost

It is currently 2.49 a gallon. Its the same power and MPG. It has lengthy the time between regens which is nice for me.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:51 PM
TheCurtster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add in the fact that it doesn't come from areas where people shout allahu akkbar and chop off the heads of infidels. Sounds like a winner to me.

Curt

Old 01-13-2016, 04:21 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
fuel

Originally Posted by TheCurtster
Add in the fact that it doesn't come from areas where people shout allahu akkbar and chop off the heads of infidels. Sounds like a winner to me.

Curt
I wish the fuel was in more places. It really is a winner. I have about 10k miles on right now. Truck gives me more power and fewer regen. I can find a single thing wrong with the fuel.

And no one screaming Allah Akbar.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
So who sells it?

Old 02-11-2016, 01:19 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Locations

It is sold by propel fuels. But so far I have only seen it at 76 stations. Must be some kind of a deal.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I've never seen it. I'll keep an eye out. Get most of my fuel local from 76 but they only have diesel 2.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:25 AM
TheCurtster
Senior User
Propel has an app for smartphones that has a map with current prices. It'll give you turn by turn directions to stations that carry their products.
So far, I really like their hpr diesel.

Curt

Old 02-20-2016, 10:14 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

I like the license plate...

Old 02-21-2016, 09:53 PM
TheCurtster
Senior User
I thought about actually getting that plate made, but then I became concerned that one of my tolerant neighbors might key my truck (or worse).

Curt

Old 02-22-2016, 09:22 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Some people just need to chill...

Old 03-15-2016, 12:11 PM
transmogrifiednow
Junior User
Mixed

I've got an IDI and I have been using this stuff for around 2000 miles and it burns real clean no smoke EVER, engine is a bit quieter, but gas mileage is down by about 2 mpgs. I add some opti-lube for lubricity, and it is about 20-30 cents cheaper per gallon here which is why I'm using it. People on some RAM diesel forums have experienced similar results in all their different types of engines. Seems like the MPG difference varies from truck to truck.
After this trial period I think I'm gonna use a blend of this and regular summer blend Diesel, as this Bosch letter suggests...

Quote from Cumminsforum.com

Below is What I got from Bosch. I am sure from the way they talked they have no testing of their own. All from on paper info. The HPR company did say on the phone it is good down to -40f with no gelling. It is not Bio diesel according to them, much more refined.
16.5 is not bad for "real" mileage on a lot of city driving. My driving was mostly flat hwy at about 55mph. I agree I seems it is very clean. Where do you buy yours?

Dear Mr. Duncan,

I have spoken with our fuels experts here in the US and the Bosch position is as follows:

· The ‘Diesel HPR’ is a brand name Propel Fuels Inc. has coined for the NESTE Oil Hydroprocessed seed oil (mainly palm oil) product they call NExBTL. https://www.neste.com/na/en

· This is nearly a 100% paraffinic hydrocarbon material. it has some nice qualities (high Cetane Number, good stability characteristics, virtually no aromatics, et al) but also some significant deviations (lower density, potential cold flow waxing characteristics, et al) relative to conventional Diesel fuel which Bosch products are released for.

· The statement that the fuel meets the ASTM D975 petroleum diesel specification is not completely accurate. They meet most of the specification, but not all of the specification.

· When blended with conventional Diesel we see little concern (even perhaps at blends up to 30 or 50%) because paraffinic hydrocarbons are naturally part of refined petroleum Diesel fuel.

· Bosch does however have some concerns regarding lubricity and its responsiveness to common lubricity improver additives. Refer to notes in the NESTE website regarding lubricity.

Bottom-line: Paraffinic hydroprocessed seed oils (like ‘HPR’) hold promise as supplement to the Diesel pool as blends. Bosch does have concerns for use as a neat fuel (100% blend) and without sufficient validation testing, Bosch cannot guarantee there will not be any performance or reliability issues with our fuel injection systems.

Best Regards,

Ilidio Serra

Robert Bosch LLC
Manager, Technical Service Support (AA/SNA9.2)
2800 S. 25th Avenue - Broadview, IL 60155 USA
Bosch worldwide

Phone: 1 (708) 865-5392
Fax: 1 (708) 865-5579

ilidio.serra@us.bosch.com

Old 03-15-2016, 04:05 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
hpr

Tech sheet list the lubricity at 460. It being used in Europe which mandates it at 460.

I like the letter from bosh thank you for posting.

I currently have 12k miles on the fuel with no problem. I going to keep buying it. I will say it burns clean and fuel pumps are quieter running hpr diesel.

On edit. There was a HUGE study done with a city bus fleet and this fuel.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:24 PM
transmogrifiednow
Junior User
Sweet

Yeah It runs quieter for sure. I actually thought something was wrong when I had to run regular diesel last month. I'll see how noisy this 50 50 blend is once I get it going. Not that that is a problem! I sure do like a nice loud diesel sound!

Quick Reply: Diesel HPR