Need help identifying the carb on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:26 PM
edonward
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help identifying the carb on my truck

Trying to identify this carb to make sure it is what is supposed to be on this truck. I think from what I have read in the forums that I am supposed to have a "feedback carb" as I still have the computer controlling everything and the ignition is on the distributor.

This is a pic from the web but my carb looks identical. There are not any electrical connections on it and I do not see the solenoids others talk about for this setup.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:57 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Welcome to FTE pard

Usually, in the older carbs there would be a LIST # on the air horn along with a date code. Plugging those into a search engine would bring up more than anyone would ever need to know. See anything like that on the carb? Somebody will be along that knows for sure.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:09 AM
edonward
New User
Thanks for the info, I will check in the morning for identifying numbers and snap a few pics of the actual carb in question for reference.

I bought this a few months ago and it's obvious that it is not in very original condition.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:52 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I believe I have seen "SAGE" advertised on eBay... perhaps as a Chinese clone of Carter YF or YFA.

If your truck is 1984-1986, it came originally with the feedback system. If the carburetor has been replaced with what is shown, the computer will lock the timing @ base timing [~10 degrees BTDC]. The truck will run, but performance and fuel mileage will suffer.

Does the distributor have a vacuum canister?

Read about Duraspark conversions as you are already half way there.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 AM
edonward
New User
I appreciate every one welcoming me, I have been lurking trying to get up to speed on some of this I6 stuff as this is my first. The site has been extremely helpful but now I have run into some specific issues and wanted to see if I could reach out to this group for some answers

I am interested in the Duraspark conversion, but have a couple of things left to do to get that in order. Locally I am not able to source the wiring harness that I need and the 4 bbl needs to be rebuilt. I have a dist and the offy DP. The exhaust manifold was cracked so I have already changed to the efi dual exhaust manifolds.

The dist does not have a vacuum canister. And while the carb is not a Sage, it does look identical to this one.

Here is a shot of my carb.

I am trying to determine exactly what it is so I can move forward from there. I did not see any numbers on the air horn when looking.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:33 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Appears to be the stock Carter YF 1 barrel carb I have on my 71 with auto choke.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:48 AM
edonward
New User
Thanks to those that have replied, I will move forward with an ignition conversion using this carb and a 79 dist that I have.

Sure to have some more questions as I start pulling out all the wires from the computer... lots of info on here about the conversion but has anyone done a "How To" with pictures of what to remove?

Old 09-04-2015, 09:51 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
This is an expensive way to gain the wiring... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-30812/

Old 09-04-2015, 09:53 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Another option for you would be to look into a DUI ignition. It's the distributor, coil, and ignition module all in one unit. Not cheap, but it's top quality, and you wouldn't have to worry about the wiring harness, etc.

Ford Street/Strip DUI - Performance Distributors Performance Distributors

Otherwise, that looks like the stock 1bbl for the DuraSpark II era engines. Not much unlike the one I pulled off my '81.

You can purchase the wiring harness online as well, but they seem to think it's worth a lot:

Painless Wiring Part No. 30812 - Ignition Wire Harnesses

Old 09-04-2015, 09:54 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Old 09-04-2015, 12:32 PM
edonward
New User
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
I have looked at this post several times and it is a good write up but I'd like to get a visual idea as well. I can't seem to find a write up with the pictures still available. I'll keep looking but if anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Much thanks to all.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:43 AM
edonward
New User
Sorry for the delay in response. I worked this weekend removing the computer and setting up the HEI ignition. (Could not have been done without much help from old posts on here)

Couple of questions on the carb. On the carb itself, there are two vacuum ports on the passenger side the heating tube for the choke on the drivers side and a fuel port on the front. Those are all the connections on this particular carb.

Top port circled - not sure what if anything needs to be hooked up here. What is this port?
Middle small port circled - ported vacuum port currently plumbed to the dist advance.
Bottom large circled port - Is it necessary? It's on the non functioning egr all other ports are plugged at this time. Not sure what I will do with the egr, I have replaced my cracked exhaust manifold with ones from an EFI year.

As a side note and to check for accuracy. I have both the pcv and brake booster connected to full manifold vacuum ports on the tree.

Thanks again.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:49 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
So you decided to go with the HEI ignition, huh? You'll be pleased with it. I'm extremely happy with mine. Their biggest enemy is heat, and that's not something you really need to worry about with the distributor on the other side of the block than all the exhaust stuff.

I can't remember what the top port on the carb is for, but if you don't need it, just cap it off. I've had a few different 1bbl carbs, and looked at a dozen more in junk yards, and there's always just a cap on there. I think there were a few applications that used it, but I don't know off hand what it was.

The ported vacuum port, did you have a question on this?

The bottom one, if you're not using the EGR (which you're likely not with the EFI manifolds) then just cap off and remove the components for it. Cap the vacuum, and place a piece of tin (or get a block off plate) between the EGR valve and the little EGR spacer to be sure there aren't exhaust leaks.

If you have the PVC and brake booster on full vacuum, you should be good to go.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:53 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
The top port is for providing filtered "make-up" air for the tubing which connects to the exhaust manifold and then exits with heated air which is drawn into the choke housing, for heating the spring and opening the choke plate.

Originally, the vacuum hose going from the top port to the metal tubing was red in color.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:15 PM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on point..

Originally Posted by 1986F150six
The top port is for providing filtered "make-up" air for the tubing which connects to the exhaust manifold and then exits with heated air which is drawn into the choke housing, for heating the spring and opening the choke plate.

Originally, the vacuum hose going from the top port to the metal tubing was red in color.
if you're going to utilize your choke..this should be connected properly...(unless you choose to go "all electric" or manual)...

the bottom port could be used for a general vacuum feed primarily used for vacuum brakes etc.

Quick Reply: Need help identifying the carb on my truck