1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F1 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:04 AM
Millermadness11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1951 F1 Rebuild

This was my dad's truck from about 1982-1986. We were supposed to rebuild it together when I was younger but with no time and no money there she sat for many years. When I was about 13 years old (1996) we tore it down to a rolling chassis and started to rebuild it. We got as far as rebuilding the engine but I've never heard it run. I've moved around a little in the last 15 years and I've kept her this whole time. About 10 years ago I tried to start rebuilding her again and got as far as replacing the rusted out cab. I made the decision Monday night that it was time to finish what we started so many years ago. So today we loaded her up on a flat bed truck and towed her to the restoration shop in town.

My dad tells me stories about that truck and how much I loved it when I was a kid. I'm keeping this a secret from my family and I know he is going to be so surprised on reveal day which should be sometime in December.

I never thought I would pay to have it rebuilt, I always though I would do the work myself but with where I'm at in life I just can't. Does anyone have any advise about the adventure I'm about to embark on? Good stories, bad stories, I think anything will help. Most of my friends and colleagues, and I'm not excluded from this, are clueless about restoring a 64 year old truck. If you check out my profile I've added the before pictures and as the rebuild progresses I will add more. Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:37 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool story, a lifelong project that will always be a fun one. Keep us up to date with the restoration and pictures.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:03 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Getting the truck back on the road - and building new memories - has more timely value than hoping to find the means to do it yourself. The only suggestion I might offer is to carefully define the work and manage the progress so that there is a shared expectation with the resto house on what, when & how much the project will take to finish. Oh, and expect challenges to match the anticipation.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:35 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Please be very careful on choosing the place to do the work, we have heard countless horror stories of shops not fulfilling the promises they made. Make sure that you have a written contract that specifies the work to be done and the time frame. With that in hand I would urge you to make at least weekly visits to make sure the work is being done to schedule.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Millermadness11
New User
Thanks for the input. I met with the restoration company this morning and got the contract. Unfortunately it was very vague so we addressed that immediately. He gave me a price of $24K for a frame up restoration. He also said it would be done by December 1. The price includes rebuilding the original 226 engine, 3 speed trani, rear end, all new brake lines, disc brake upgrade with electric booster, powder coating the frame, all body panels to bare metal, etching, primer and paint, all new glass, all new rubber, new rims and tires, new interior, new gauges, oak wood in the bed, all new chrome and a new wire harness. It would basically be a new truck ready for the road. I think it's a great price but would like your opinion.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:16 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
WOW, not to look a gift horse in the mouth, that sounds suspiciously cheap for that much work, I'd suggest posting the shop's name to see if anyone else here has any experience with them. Please just don't say John's F Fun Hundreds! There are a number of members in your neck of the woods.
2 months is also very short completion time unless very large shop with very large staff, not very busy (which brings me back to the low price) Why aren't they busy? Do they have other jobs obviously being actively worked on in the shop that they were eager to show off to you? Does it look like they have ample equipment and work space, lifts, certified paint booth (CA pollution regulations are very restrictive on painting equipment) is it clean and neat? Are they doing the actual work or subbing it out? Is the parts sources spelled out or are they going to use the cheapest Chinese clone cr*p they can find? Look up Johnny Law, Hoffman group companies for a list of parts brands you DON'T want used on your truck.
Is the metal on your truck exceptionally clean, straight, rust free?
Sorry, but I have all kinds of alarm bells going off.
One more question: did they ask for a substantial amount of money (>25%) up front? Is the balance supposed to be paid for before it is completed to your satisfaction and the truck ready for delivery?

Old 09-04-2015, 02:18 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
That price imho would be a miracle for a ground up restoration. It looks to be a very solid truck, however, I would be very impressed with anyone doing a complete ground up, every nut and bolt restoration for less than 800-1000 hours. I have done several of my own ground up restoration/builds. The only one that I kept track of my time was a 1938 Ford Woodie (it was a stock restoration). That took me 1700 hours, however, I had to make a number of new wood pieces, probably 400 hours worth of wood work. The body shop materials on my 49 Pickup was almost $3000.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Millermadness11
New User
Joey at Karrucha Sytle in Madera, CA is doing the restoration.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:09 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
More questions: Do you have a current title to the truck in your name in your possession? If you have already delivered the truck to them did they give you a signed receipt that includes the serial # and affirmation of your ownership. Are they taking responsibility for the security and well being of the vehicle while in their possession in the contract? Is it insured in case of fire or theft, to what value?

Old 09-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Millermadness11
New User
AXracer - I just met the guy by chance 4 days ago. I was actually waiting to met another guy in town but he was 30 minutes late opening up his shop so i left. Joey's shop was clean, organized, there were at lease 5 guys in different departments that I met. He was very honest with me and told me that some of the work would be outsourced. I saw at least 10 different cars he was working on. I really think this guy is legit.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Millermadness11
New User
AXracer your questions are excellent. Thank you so much! We didn't go over any of that! Looks like I need to pay him another visit.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:23 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Ding Ding Ding! Danger Will Robinson!!! No business listing for Karrucha Style in Madera, CA. I wish you the very best, but I don't have a good feeling about this. I hope you did a lot of homework and I'm wrong! I hope you are/can hold back at least 50% of the quote until after completion A legitimate shop should not want more than 10% of the quote up front (the vehicle alone SHOULD be enough "deposit", more would make me suspect he is ponziing his cash flow) on a short delivery time like this. Any additional partial payments should reflect certain verifiable progress points i.e. 20% when chassis and engine are completed and running, 20% when body is ready for paint, 20% after paint, assembled and ready for interior. Balance upon completion/delivery and satisfactory inspection/test drive and documented satisfaction of any lien interests by all suppliers and subs.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Millermadness11
New User
Thanks for looking into that. I'll make sure to post the progress.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:57 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Sorry to be so paranoid sounding, but my brother got burned by 3 contractors this past year alone that came with strong referrals. One a general contractor on his new shop build that he never finished, one a body shop that was supposed to paint his wife's VW restoration who disappeared (he had to "steal" the car back) and a paving contractor that never showed to even start (luckily he learned something and hadn't paid the paver anything yet). Suits are meaningless, and anyone owed for any work on your truck can petition the court for a mechanics lien against it and be awarded ownership or you could be ordered to pay the sub even if you have previously paid the shop, or if the shop is declared bankrupt the truck if in his possession at the time can be seized and sold to satisfy the creditors if you cannot prove ownership. I can tell you all kinds of true horror stories involving some very big names.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Millermadness11
New User
Wow! All excellent points that I have not thought of. Thank you so much for all the info. You've given me alot to think about.

Quick Reply: 1951 F1 Rebuild