Sponsored by:

2000 Excursion V10 Camshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Kevwood442
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Excursion V10 Camshaft Position Sensor

Been troubleshooting an annoying Chirp sound in my engine compartment. Eliminated anything connected to the serp belt, and it changes with RPM's, and needs to be under some load (can't duplicate in driveway, ever). It is a kind of squeak, chirp, metal sounding squeal that really sounds like some sort of bearing going bad. Read that sometimes a failing spark plug can make such a sound before it gets ejected from the motor, so I just changed all of the plugs and cleaned everything up nicely. Made no difference in this sound.

Next thing I've heard can make some noise is Cam Position Sensor. I can't find any info on where it is located on this V10. World wide web has been no help. My wife and I both get the strong sensation that this noise is coming from the engine compartment, passenger side. I'd venture to say it's somewhere near the firewall. The other day I was revving it up a bit with my face to the motor and I heard one brief squeak that sounded like it's from that area as well. I may have a couple of small exhaust leaks as well, but it really doesn't sound like that.

Can anybody point me to the CPS sensor on this truck so I can try to get a stethoscope on it? Getting ready for a two hour drive hauling my camper and kids and dogs for the weekend, and I'm still a little worried about what this sound may lead to.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2015, 01:36 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
It's in the front cover just under the driver's side valve cover. I asked our gas driveability tech and the only time he has heard one making noise is on Ford's 3.0L engine.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:55 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevwood442
Been troubleshooting an annoying Chirp sound in my engine compartment. Eliminated anything connected to the serp belt, and it changes with RPM's, and needs to be under some load (can't duplicate in driveway, ever). It is a kind of squeak, chirp, metal sounding squeal that really sounds like some sort of bearing going bad. Read that sometimes a failing spark plug can make such a sound before it gets ejected from the motor, so I just changed all of the plugs and cleaned everything up nicely. Made no difference in this sound.

Next thing I've heard can make some noise is Cam Position Sensor. I can't find any info on where it is located on this V10. World wide web has been no help. My wife and I both get the strong sensation that this noise is coming from the engine compartment, passenger side. I'd venture to say it's somewhere near the firewall. The other day I was revving it up a bit with my face to the motor and I heard one brief squeak that sounded like it's from that area as well. I may have a couple of small exhaust leaks as well, but it really doesn't sound like that.

Can anybody point me to the CPS sensor on this truck so I can try to get a stethoscope on it? Getting ready for a two hour drive hauling my camper and kids and dogs for the weekend, and I'm still a little worried about what this sound may lead to.

Thanks!

Sounds like you are describing an exhaust leak to me. As RPMs (and pressure) builds a small linear leak can get a squeal going that sounds just like a bad bearing. Check around where the exhaust manifold mates to the head and at the downpipes, I think you might find your leak/squeal there.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Kevwood442
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Sounds like you are describing an exhaust leak to me. As RPMs (and pressure) builds a small linear leak can get a squeal going that sounds just like a bad bearing. Check around where the exhaust manifold mates to the head and at the downpipes, I think you might find your leak/squeal there.
Oh I'm dead certain I have an exhaust leak or two. I'm missing at least a couple of studs on each manifold that I may make a winter project to replace. Sure sounds mechanical to my brain. I did recently notice that the muffler has developed a rattle that may mean a broken baffle inside. Maybe that's adding some back pressure and forcing my leak a bit. Just want to settle my head that there isn't anything mechanical that's destined to leave me stranded. Truck runs strong and hasn't lost any power. Thanks for the replies.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Kevwood442
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jpr38057
It's in the front cover just under the driver's side valve cover. I asked our gas driveability tech and the only time he has heard one making noise is on Ford's 3.0L engine.
After looking at the images of the replacement part , it doesn't look mechanical like some of the other vehicles sensors I've seen. I guess I agree this is unlikely to be my issue. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Kevwood442
Freshman User
Wonder if I can post a link to the recording that I made. Kind of hard to hear...

Old 10-09-2016, 08:26 PM
ljs05
New User
Me To!!!!!!

My Excursion has just started the same sound! Did you find a fix for this? Really has me wondering.
P.S. I'm in Neosho, Wi. Maybe it's a location jinx!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Kevwood442
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ljs05
My Excursion has just started the same sound! Did you find a fix for this? Really has me wondering.
P.S. I'm in Neosho, Wi. Maybe it's a location jinx!!!!!!
I've got to be honest my friend. My solution was to trade it in on a used Nissan Armada. The company I traded it to was pretty sure it was internal engine, but if you have any broken exhaust manifold studs, I really would start there. Seems like the sound would build with exhaust pressure so I feel it is air escaping around the manifold. Impossible to make it happen with the truck standing still. Grrrrr. Good luck neighbor.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:08 PM
ljs05
New User
V10 Engine Squeal

Well thanks for the reply. GRRRR! Is right. I'll keep at it, find it some how.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:27 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by ljs05
Well thanks for the reply. GRRRR! Is right. I'll keep at it, find it some how.

How many of your exhaust manifold studs are missing?

Old 10-11-2016, 09:09 PM
ljs05
New User
V10 Engine Noise

It's had a few missing on each side for a few yrs. Never had the noise until it sat for about 6 weeks. I'm going to figure out a way of checking the manifolds for noise this weekend hopefully,