When a simple project goes to hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When a simple project goes to hell

Howdy everyone!

So today was the day I took the X and gave her more love.

My to do:

1. Replace upper rad hose for dual Alt. hose
2. Replace thermostat
3. Replace Thermostat Housing
4. Install Sinister Diesel Coolant Filtration system

Simple enough? What I thought was going to be a 2-3 Hour TOPS project, turned into a day making me wonder why I didn't just stay inside and not do a "man" project.

Here's how the day went:

1. Drain Coolant CHECK

2. Soaked Upper rad hose clips with D-40 to make life easier (already had hit them a few days prior). Took them out and took out hose CHECK

2. Hit thermostat bolts with more pb blaster (already soaking it for a few days) CHECK

3. Bust out socket set, get 8MM with extension ready CHECK

4. Take of rear most bolt CHECK

5. take of front left bolt CHECK

6. Take out front right bolt SNAP ****! Stared at it in disbelief. Of course it snapped flush with the housing. I leaned over the hood of my truck, slumped my head and put in an emergency prayer to God. He was out of the office but St. Peter picked up. I left a message. I knew then I was by myself.

7. Cracked out extractor set. Fought that mess for about an hour. COULD NOT get a good bite, could not get it to back out.

8. Cracked open a beer. Sat down and stared at my truck.

9. Gave the extraction tool another round. No dice. Said screw this, whipped out the drill out again and drill the bolt through clean. Found a good nut and bolt that fit and went with it.

10. Removed old housing, threw that to the side. Removed old termostat, threw that to the side

11. Beer number two. Starting to wonder if busted bolts in a truck is a contributing factor to men have liver failiure.

12. Took out service port bolt on right side (for coolant filter kit)

13. Popped in new thermostat, put on billet housing (light application of RTV cause I'll be damned if it leaks)

14. Popped up upper rad hose.

15. Installed Coolant filter kit.

16. Realized I had left the 2 catch pans of coolant under truck (just put in truck about 2 months ago so it was technically still good) so all the shavings from my work went in there. Great, run to autopart store get more coolant.

17. Come back. Beer 3. Starting to realize I'm almost home free.

18. Pour in coolant. Open valves on coolant filter.

19. Take a step back look over everything to make sure it's right.

20. Grab keys stick in ignition, check my phone for any return calls from God, nothing, closed my eyes, started truck. Took a deep breath and walked to the front of the truck and started looking under the hood.

21. NO LEAKS!!!! Started cleaning up the mess I made in the driveway and let the truck run. 35 minutes later, truck is at operating temperature, no leaks, no problems.

22. Slump head again, cursed Ford for a design that leaves just about any 7.3l owner facing this problem.

23. Sat down on bucket, Beer 4, stared at truck running grateful the project was over, and feeling accomplished.

24. Realized despite this set back, I'm looking forward to my next truck project.

Head of snapped bolt that almost sent me over the edge. Lovely rust ?

Kit all installed, what made it all worth while:

Thanks for reading!!

Old 09-02-2015, 05:14 AM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had days like that. When I've nearly considered just calling the scrap yard. It can be hopeless feelings, but somehow we get by. Glad it worked out in the end for you.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:51 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good read, I had to laugh. Also thankful I have an Arizona truck with NO rust.

Never be in a hurry, and never plan anything AFTER the 'job'. It will bite you in the rear.
Things will go wrong and set you back.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Good story, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:22 AM
MK_snipe
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that this was the best read in a long time because this seems to be ops normal whenever it comes to me working on just about any vehicle.

Each time I start a project, I think back to the early dating days of my wife and the "wisdom" that my soon-to-be Father-in-Law imparted with me (he was/is also a gearhead). We were walking out to work on a 55 Bel Air and he told my mom-in-law that it would take 4 hours. I knew better that this project would not take this long and questioned him after we already left the house for the garage. He stated that when a woman asks how long a project will take that I should always at least double the time that I "think" it will take. This way if something goes wrong you are covered and don't have to hear any griping and if all goes well and you finish early, you either have time to screw around or you just look that much better to your better half. Wow how insightful......still follow this practice after 16 years of marriage.

I enjoyed this post. Thanks for the smile and could relate to each and everyone of your steps.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:23 AM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Wow, it's like you are watching most of MY 'adventures in maintenance and upgrades!' Sure can relate. Also to the beer.

You still have your stock airbox? Hope you check it frequently for the usual 'seeping' of dust or silt...! I guess some are airtight, but I've seen a few that weren't.

Glad you made it through your upgrade intact!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 AM
nagetech
Tuned
I do pop that air box here and there to make sure it looks good in there, so far no complaints. I juggled the idea of replacing it, but never really felt the need too. Defnitely no K&N for me. I read the other ideas on here with the AIS and the other big *** filter (forgot the number). I think I'll stick with that one for now

Glad you guys are enjoying the thread! It was an adventure to say the least!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:37 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
Good read, I had to laugh. Also thankful I have an Arizona truck with NO rust.
OMFG dude you JUST cursed yourself! As I read it I swear I heard an ethereal laugh behind me! You NEVER say stuff like that!! Now you'll have bolts snapping everywhere and the rig is gonna fall apart driving down the road.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:40 AM
nagetech
Tuned
There have been days I've fantasized about what it would be like to live somewhere where rust and my vehicles aren't a thought.

I took the time early this summer to clean up the under carriage of both my trucks real good, then applied several coats of rustoleum to them. God I hope that helps me in the long run..... nothing like going back in your house after 3 hours of painting looking like you came out of a coal mine.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:01 AM
devovino
Senior User
rusty

Originally Posted by nagetech
There have been days I've fantasized about what it would be like to live somewhere where rust and my vehicles aren't a thought.

I took the time early this summer to clean up the under carriage of both my trucks real good, then applied several coats of rustoleum to them. God I hope that helps me in the long run..... nothing like going back in your house after 3 hours of painting looking like you came out of a coal mine.
I have been working on restoring a 65 mustang for the last year, fortunately for me it spent its whole life in Nor. California so rust is at a minimum, what rust I have found I treated with Ospho - (a diluted solution of Phosphoric acid which converts the rust (iron oxide) to chemically change to iron phosphate ) then I treated it with an encapsulator, then painted it. If you want to see RUSTY, you should see some of these old mustangs I have seen in the last year from the east coast - some well beyond repair.

My fun fact for the day! Also, awesome write up, you had me cracking up! I can really relate to it especially on the aforementioned project, most bolts were rusted, a lot snapped, and I had to drill/cut a few out... there are still some trim pieces I have not removed because I cant get screws out! Step back and punt, crack a Coors, come back to it in a bit was a very common theme!

Old 09-02-2015, 11:02 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nagetech

I just have to deal with the paint getting beat up by the sun.
Some spots have the clearcoat come off. Probably needs a repaint.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:15 AM
nagetech
Tuned
Glad to see I am not the only one that felt that way yesterday

Old 09-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I too have sat there, looking at my truck, wondering how it could hate me so.

Way back when I was 19, I took a bat to the tailgate of my first truck when the broken fuel pump refused to come off of the block.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:50 AM
nagetech
Tuned
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben

Way back when I was 19, I took a bat to the tailgate of my first truck when the broken fuel pump refused to come off of the block.

I've had moments where I thought

"Bout I trade you in and get a newer truck! Next owner won't love you as much as I did!!!!"

Then I realize, I'm threatening a vehicle...... and all I'm doing is threatening my wallet....... Then I realize I need to get out more........

Old 09-02-2015, 11:51 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
Ben, maybe it's the color you chose for the fenders

Quick Reply: When a simple project goes to hell