6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What to do about my temps

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:26 PM
whirlybird
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, I'm running a C&C F-450 and I seem to be having a few issues with the temperatures. Here's what I've got. Spartan tuner, deleted dpf and cat. EGR and air filter are still intact as stock units. I've been using the 210 and 210 TP tunes. Truck weighs in at about 15,000 pounds and I sometimes haul a trailer that weighs about 17,000 pounds.

First thing is the coolant and oil temps. They run within about 8 degrees of each other but seem to be on the high side. It doesn't seem to matter which tune I use or if I haul or not, the numbers are always about the same. In 75 degree weather the oil temp will hit 230 setting off the alarm then stay right at about 228 with the coolant right at about 220 sometimes up to 225. I just replaced the thermostats and it didn't help a bit.

Next is the fuel temp. It has been super high and usually stays at 140-154. I've bled the system and just replaced the fuel cooler pump. The pump is not coming on. The fuse is good (assuming it is #70 and is the one that shares with the A/C clutch)

Tranny temps seem ok. Stays at 200, gets higher if there is a hill.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:05 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First things first...ever clean out the fins in the rad or any of the coolers up front? You'd be surprised at the stuff that builds up in there and reduces cooling efficiency big time.
When you bled the fuel cooler system how did you do this? With a vacuum pump? If not there's a good chance there is air trapped in the fuel cooler rad as the lines run in and out of the bottom.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:35 AM
whirlybird
New User
I cleaned the radiators out at the same time I replaced the cooler pump and thermostats. I bled the fuel cooler by the H&S Performance guidelines. But none of that really matters if the cooler pump won't turn on.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:30 PM
langballs
Junior User
What year and mileage? Did you take a light and shine on the engine side of the rads and look from the grille side? If the rad and coolers are for sure clean then you may have circulation issues due to worn water pump or build up on the cores inside the radiator. I noticed the egr is still installed. Possibly could be stuck partially open but very unlikely.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:09 AM
whirlybird
New User
I will probably take another crack at cleaning the outside of the radiators. The oil temps and coolant temps are bothering me so much. They are a little high, but liveable for now. More than anything i am concerned about why the fuel cooler pump isn't turning on. I'm not sure where to check next.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:43 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Originally Posted by whirlybird
I cleaned the radiators out at the same time I replaced the cooler pump and thermostats. I bled the fuel cooler by the H&S Performance guidelines. But none of that really matters if the cooler pump won't turn on.
I don't ever remember seeing any guidelines on how to bleed the fuel cooler on the H&S forums....How exactly did you do it.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:47 PM
whirlybird
New User
Here is the guide that I followed:

H&S Performance :: Topic: 6.4 fuel cooler (1/2)

Old 09-05-2015, 04:15 PM
sxrfun
Elder User
Well I'll be darned lol....I did a search and didn't find that. That guide will pretty much do it as far as the flush and refill goes. Only things I did differently was to raise the rear of the truck to allow the fill plug in the turbo actuator housing to be directly on top. Notice how it's not quite on the top with the rear of the truck on the ground? This would allow an air pocket to remain. Also you can slightly invert the fuel cooler rad so the fittings are on the top when refilling the system...it's tight but it will go. I couldn't get my pump to come on either with engine running and truck sitting there. What I did was use a propane torch to carefully heat the turbo actuator housing, thus heating up the coolant inside, thus triggering the pump. My pump would not activate until I did this. I heated the housing a few times to make sure all the air was out of the system.

I don't know the exact temps required to turn on the coolant pump...but if yours doesn't activate with this method I would suspect a faulty pump perhaps?

Old 09-05-2015, 04:35 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you hear the clutch fan coming on?

Old 09-20-2015, 11:23 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by whirlybird
Hey all, I'm running a C&C F-450 and I seem to be having a few issues with the temperatures. Here's what I've got. Spartan tuner, deleted dpf and cat. EGR and air filter are still intact as stock units. I've been using the 210 and 210 TP tunes. Truck weighs in at about 15,000 pounds and I sometimes haul a trailer that weighs about 17,000 pounds.

First thing is the coolant and oil temps. They run within about 8 degrees of each other but seem to be on the high side. It doesn't seem to matter which tune I use or if I haul or not, the numbers are always about the same. In 75 degree weather the oil temp will hit 230 setting off the alarm then stay right at about 228 with the coolant right at about 220 sometimes up to 225. I just replaced the thermostats and it didn't help a bit.

Next is the fuel temp. It has been super high and usually stays at 140-154. I've bled the system and just replaced the fuel cooler pump. The pump is not coming on. The fuse is good (assuming it is #70 and is the one that shares with the A/C clutch)

Tranny temps seem ok. Stays at 200, gets higher if there is a hill.

Any thoughts?
These temps towing don't seem out of line going up a grade or during a long medium grade. If the the engine oil and water are that hot you fuel temps are within reason, the fuel temps will reflect those temps if the engine is running that warm, at those temp everything gets heat soaked.

Towing heavy around 27-33,000 gvw i see 225-230 oil temps and 220-228 water temps and 1200-1250 EGT's towing up medium and heavy grades frequently with no issue. When the engine is running that warm egt's should be keep under 1250 sustained, if you run over 1250 egt's when the engine and oil is around 230 + the cooling efficient of the oil jets on the pistons drops to a dangerous level and damage can happen fast.

On the flats even in a heavy cross wind i don't see much over 210-215 coolant and 218-220 oil temp running anywhere from 20-28 PSI boost egt's around 1000. I have seen fuel temps as high as 150-160 when engine temps are 220-228 degrees with an ambient temp outside of 105-110 degrees when towing. The engine compartments get heat soaked fairly quick and it takes awhile to cool i down.

With that being said if you are seeing temps in that 230 oil and 228 water running empty there is an issue that needs to be addressed, and i would start with the oil cooler.