Question for the Chemist out there... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Question for the Chemist out there...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
Question for the Chemist out there...

After distilling Methanol out of my Bio, I pump it into a settling tank. After sitting overnight, I get some glycerine settling out. Since there is always still some methanol in the batch even after distillation, I was curious to know if bubbling the bio would release more methanol / glycerine before dry-washing? Still have the stones from my attempt at water washing. I bubbled it for about 3 hrs while Refilling the processor. Did I gain anything by doing this?
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore X View Post
After distilling Methanol out of my Bio, I pump it into a settling tank. After sitting overnight, I get some glycerine settling out. Since there is always still some methanol in the batch even after distillation, I was curious to know if bubbling the bio would release more methanol / glycerine before dry-washing? Still have the stones from my attempt at water washing. I bubbled it for about 3 hrs while Refilling the processor. Did I gain anything by doing this?
Well, I am NOT the chemist you were looking for and you have likely produced a lot more bio-d than I have - but I'll throw my $0.02 at your question.

I'm assuming you are heating the mix to remove/distill methanol from it? After the reaction and draining off the glycerin???

Any methanol not used in the reaction should leave with the glycerin. Some will distill the methanol back out of the glycerin so they can use it again. We often pre-treated our WVO with glycerin to take advantage of the unused chems still in there....

If you still have methanol AND glycerin in your biodiesel - my knee-jerk response would be you did not get a complete reaction. That would also explain your problem with water washing. I know we made a couple batches of emulsion by attempting to water wash without getting a full reaction... Then we started doing the 3/27 test and even washing a sample of the oil before mist washing.

I like the water wash because if you can wash the fuel - it is GOOD! You can't wash fuel that is not fully reacted. I've been offered homemade B100 before and after asking a bunch of questions (and not liking the answers) - took a sample and mixed it with water in a bottle. If you shake this up and create a milkshake - the fuel is not fully reacted or separated. The water should quickly separate and the fuel remain clear if the fuel is 'good'.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Btw, the secret to breaking the water-wash emulsion is to add glycerin to it.

We would fill a cubie with 1/3 emulsion and 1/3 glycerin and shake it up. The fuel will rise to the top as the water/glycerin fall out.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:44 PM
New User

Al Zaidi is starting off with a positive reputation.
POst biodiesel making questions at biodiesel.infopop.cc in the making biodiesel forum
Old 02-04-2016, 12:58 AM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore X View Post
I was curious to know if bubbling the bio would release more methanol / glycerine before dry-washing? Still have the stones from my attempt at water washing. I bubbled it for about 3 hrs while Refilling the processor. Did I gain anything by doing this?
Bubbling air through the biodiesel will most definitely release more methanol. In doing so, more glycerine will drop out of suspension. I have a couple friends who do this, except they bubble it for a few days, then let the remaining glycerine drop out before they run it through wood chips. Me? I still water wash due to some of my equipment limitations, but I still produce great fuel.
Michelin LTX MS2's (B100 Most of the time)
1998 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350