New Powerstroke Owner in Denver

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 AM
pinbill
Mountain Pass
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
New Powerstroke Owner in Denver

Hello All,

Scored a 97 350 Crew Cab Long Bed in great shape with low miles. The PO was an aircraft mechanic. It has all the mods I would like to and has had great maintenance. The only problem is a fuel leak near the fuel bowl that I will address after I finish planning a WVO system.

I run a home made "Greasecar" type looped system with three way selector valves in my Mercedes. There are more options with the Powerstroke and want to design my system right the first time. I would love to hear from people with a two pump, check valve system about how long their WVO pumps last and if the #8 injector is starved for fuel.

I don't really care about having an automated sytem, but the simplicity and short purge time of a Vegistroke style system appeal to me. I have two concerns. I am a little nervous about fuel not getting to the last injector while running a deadheaded fuel system. Also I don't like the idea of leaving cold grease in the WVO fuel pump. It seems like the pump would die quicker.

Thanks a lot for having me on the forum.

Bill

Old 02-25-2015, 10:49 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill! Feel free to check in 94.5-97 Powerstroke forum, and introduce your self there too!

A lot of us have or are going to E-fuel. With a regulated return, and fuel supply to the rear injectors isn't a problem anymore. I don't run WVO, but it's something I have thought about in the future.

A heated filter element that runs on a switch for winter use only would be your best bet. And you want to start and shut the truck off with it running diesel. That will prolong the life of your injectors and other fuel components.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by pinbill
Hello All,

Scored a 97 350 Crew Cab Long Bed in great shape with low miles. The PO was an aircraft mechanic. It has all the mods I would like to and has had great maintenance. The only problem is a fuel leak near the fuel bowl that I will address after I finish planning a WVO system.

I run a home made "Greasecar" type looped system with three way selector valves in my Mercedes. There are more options with the Powerstroke and want to design my system right the first time. I would love to hear from people with a two pump, check valve system about how long their WVO pumps last and if the #8 injector is starved for fuel.

I don't really care about having an automated sytem, but the simplicity and short purge time of a Vegistroke style system appeal to me. I have two concerns. I am a little nervous about fuel not getting to the last injector while running a deadheaded fuel system. Also I don't like the idea of leaving cold grease in the WVO fuel pump. It seems like the pump would die quicker.

Thanks a lot for having me on the forum.

Bill
Hi Bill!

You are soooo in luck. I'll get tho that in a second. The GC design with switching valves and looped return, etc is great in your IP-equipped MBZ - but lacks horribly compared to the Vegistroke design in a PSD.

First, the whole concept of 'starving #8' is, lets just say, a little hyped-up... At this point, there are 100's of 1000's of PSD's on the road with over 300k miles on their stock injectors. In fact, #8 injector failure is no more common than any other injector. The only 'data' that was collected concerning this non-issue was done on a high HP engine and frankly determined we needed to buy that manufacturer's product... We have at least one 500hp 7.3 running a Vegistroke-type system I designed. But, if you still wanna take that koolaid (yes, a LOT of people do), it won't offend me at all.

Ok, now about how you're in luck! Wvo and svo diesel to vegetable oil conversion kit | Veggie Garage has developed a simple e-fuel system designed to work with our deadheaded Vegistroke design! I'm not sure if he has it up on the website yet, but call Dave and ask about it. In addition to that, he has all the components you need to do a 'DIY' manually-controlled system.

Now, about fuel pumps. I've been running a stock-type PSD pump on my own truck for over 150k miles. I tried a Raptor and then a FASS, but decided that over-priced junk was better for something else... The Airtex pump sold at local autoparts can be had for $120 and comes with a nationwide lifetime warranty. IF it fails, it takes 5 min to swap out in the parking lot of the nearest autoparts and they keep one on the shelf! If you are trying to outrun the zombies, take the diesel-side pump off and run it on the VO side.

No issue with leaving the VO in the pump. Not even in cold weather. I have a couple PSD's that have been running all winter in the NE plowing snow and burning VO. In fact, a couple weeks ago Doug's diesel gelled and he just switched to VO and was able to carry on his day!

More about design:

The e-fuel will use a WIX 33972 pre-pump filter (50mic) a PSD electric fuel pump (I prefer the Airtex), a bypass-type FPR and a 6mic primary filter and feeds the engine thru a check valve and a tee to the front of the heads. The return from FPR goes back to the diesel tank. Dave has some really nice PTFE-lined SS braided hoses made for this application. He also sells a kit that mimics the OE fuel shut-off using an inertia switch and oil pressure switch.

The VO-side starts with a tank that at least has a heated fuel pick-up. We use Hot Fox pick-ups. I will also include a coolant loop/heat exchanger in the tank for extremely cold climates. Then tube-in-hose (TIH) heated fuel line from the tank to the pre-filter. (I'm currently using a Racor PS120 (240mic) pre-filter) Then PSD pump and the same type FPR and filter we used on the D2 side. But, I return the VO thru TIH and tee it into the suction line back at the tank. This 'looped return' adds copious amounts of heat to the VO - BEFORE the pump and filters, where we need it the most. It also greatly reduces strain on the pump. Following the primary filter, we install a check valve and then tee in a 12v normally-closed solenoid valve. This 'purge' valve returns directly to the VO tank. Opening this valve with the D2 pump on flushes D2 thru the heads and back to the VO tank - giving us an adequate purge in just 15 secs or so.

I designed a veggie tank for the OBS trucks that replaces the rear tank and spare tire and holds about 40gals. Dave can sell this tank, but its not exactly a plug-n-play install - some fabrication is required.

If ya have any questions, feel free to ask! I'll try to check back here more frequently...

Old 03-05-2015, 06:30 PM
pinbill
Mountain Pass
Hey Jason,

Thanks for the info. The stars must be aligned for me or something. First, I scored the truck of the century. Next Dave at veggie garage started making the e fuel kits for the OBS powerstroke just as I starting researching my build. I spoke with him last week and he is making me one this week. I am totally psyched.

I took out the fuel bowl and turbo today. Tomorrow I am going to remove the fuel pump and remaining fuel lines. I have a buddy up the street who is going to help me weld up a 1/2 in heated aluminum line in this tank. So I am feeling good about the tank.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0933_200350933

I am going to run a coolant heated filter similar to the one I use in my car. I was thinking about the WVO Designs Raw Power fuel pump. If you have had good results using the airtex pump, I will stick with that. I like the idea of always having a spare pump on the car. I might even buy two at the same time. You can buy four for what the WVO Designs pump costs.

I haven't started really planning the wvo side yet. I will study your post and get a better idea of what you are talking about. Can I mount the wvo filter and pump in the bed next to the tank and still get a quick purge time?

Thanks again for the help,

Bill

Bill

Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
I'm glad ya found Dave! He will hook you up!!

I would recommend the Hot Fox over a loop in the tank. Trying to heat 60-90 gals of oil in really cold temps is almost futile and the consequence of letting all that oil/airspace cool overnite is condensation in your tank. Ideally, you just want to heat the fuel enough to get it out of the tank. We'll take care of the rest downstream. When I do a coolant loop in the tank, I do it in a smaller, baffled area right around the pick-up. This has been very successful in my systems that are running in places like Wyoming and Canada and would be helpful for anyone who runs PHO or oil high in animal fats.

Dave sells a heated filter head. We have also had great success running a copper coolant wrap on the VO filter. In winter, many have been covering the 'wrapped filter' with insulation for even more heat gain/retention. Check out 'My latest veggie...' and other threads I've started here and you can see what I do.

I also recommend an aux coolant pump on the veggie loop. Our PSD's tend to run cool most of the time and we've found the coolant flow at idle/low speed can be anemic. With a pump, getting adequate flow - even in my 3/8" filter wrap - is not a problem.

With TIH, a looped return like I described above and a coolant-wrapped filter - you'll have plenty of heat for a PSD.

With the PSD pump, you still need a FPR (~$130) - so the WVO Designs pump isn't really 4x as much... That pump is truly a 'monster' and obviously outperforms the PSD pump by leaps and bounds. It also has a 5yr warranty and WVO Designs is very good about honoring it - although I know of only a couple people who have had a problem. Dave has been working with Leon (WVO Designs) to get an external return on the pump/FPR so we can do a 'looped return' the way I do with the stand-alone FPR. You can buy this pump (and other WVO Designs products) from Dave.

Yes, you can put everything in the bed. I helped somebody do this a couple years ago and I guess its working fine since we never hear from him! Don't be like that guy... The challenge is getting enough heat before the pump and filters. James opted to put a FPHE in his looped return and then used TIH up to the engine.

If you are on FB, join the Grease Addicts group. Dave often posts his latest ideas/products there and there are some really smart folks lurking there all the time. Apparently, the Veggie Garage forum will be active again soon as well.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Old 03-06-2015, 06:05 PM
pinbill
Mountain Pass
Jayson!!!

I think I will go for the hot fox. It sounds like a better option. Much easier to install and I don't like the idea of water in the fuel. Lots of start ups for me to burn 90 gallons of WVO.

The Raw Power Pump sounds pretty awesome. I will have to see how my wallet is when I get to the WVO side. I am looking at getting the bed sprayed with linex before installing the tank.

Got the truck all ready for the efuel install. It shipped today and I will have it installed hopefully by next weekend. Getting pretty excited.

Will check in when I get it running.

Bill

Old 03-06-2015, 06:18 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Jayson!!!

I think I will go for the hot fox. It sounds like a better option. Much easier to install and I don't like the idea of water in the fuel. Lots of start ups for me to burn 90 gallons of WVO.

The Raw Power Pump sounds pretty awesome. I will have to see how my wallet is when I get to the WVO side. I am looking at getting the bed sprayed with linex before installing the tank.

Got the truck all ready for the efuel install. It shipped today and I will have it installed hopefully by next weekend. Getting pretty excited.

Will check in when I get it running.

Bill
I saw pics of your e-fuel - very nice!! I'm sure you are gonna love it!

Old 03-15-2015, 09:51 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Yo Sky...cant find grease Addicts on FB?

OP...been running the wvodesigns 1st gen pump for 3.5yrs..so far so good. Also have their 2nd gen pump "on deck"...however, i'd also try/run them global automotive 38 dollar special pumps too. Been a few threads about them lasting awhile. Just have a spare on hand when 1st pump dumps, so ur not left hang'n burning D2, waiting on pump to return..(lifetime warranties)

Old 03-16-2015, 11:34 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Tim, the cheap pumps have an unacceptable failure rate. Several didn't work out of the box... Not even worth keeping as a 'spare'.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/496753857038776?view=info&ref=bookmark

Old 03-20-2015, 09:01 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Damn...not even for backup for D2? o-ya, thanks for link (edit..link no worky, lol)

Old 04-15-2015, 03:35 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Bill,

Does this truck run on grease yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:24 PM
pinbill
Mountain Pass
Hey Jayson,

I was just about to check in. Lots of progress but no grease yet. Most of the hard work has been done.

I just finished installing the efuel system from veggie garage. It is a good product. It has the complete diesel side of a two pump system (diesel filter, pump, regulator, bracket, check valve, hoses, wiring harness) The pump shuts off after 20 seconds if the key is on accessory and it has an oil pressure shut off switch. The diesel side uses the front ports in the heads and the WVO lines are in the back fuel ports. I installed bellowed up pipes while I had everything apart and got the bed sprayed with Linex. The tank came in and fits in the bed nice.

The truck is running awesome!!

The kit came with all the lines on the engine for WVO. (fittings for the heads, stainless lines, y connector, and a hose barb) They are all installed but capped off. Dave is still working on the wvo side of the kit. It looked good but I want to run a different filter housing. I will need to plan the WVO side. I think I will use the WVO design pump. Hot Fox in the tank. HIH tank to pump. I am not sure exactly how to plumb the purge valve or wire in the pump yet. It can't be any worse than doing the up pipes or putting the fittings in the heads. LOL.

The family is taking a road trip to Moab in May. I am going to blend 50/50 for the highway parts of the trip. The WVO side is going to have to wait until the fall. I am really busy right now and I will be leaving to work in NY for two months in the summer. Also, I am out of cash. I will plan the WVO side and get the parts together while I am working in NY. So I definitely will be in touch in July or early August to hit you with some questions.

Thanks again for all the help,

Bill

Old 04-16-2015, 07:18 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Sounds good!!

Old 07-19-2015, 09:01 AM
pinbill
Mountain Pass
Yo Jayson,

I'm back. I am working in NY so I have spare time to plan my system. I wanted to reach out and make sure you are still around.

We ended up going to southwest colorado and the truck did good. I blended 50/50 in one tank and used the other for diesel to purge the motor somewhat.

Its time to map out the system. I am going over your posts to get together a parts list and some questions that I wil post up in the next few days.

Bill

Old 07-20-2015, 12:35 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Yo Jayson,

I'm back. I am working in NY so I have spare time to plan my system. I wanted to reach out and make sure you are still around.

We ended up going to southwest colorado and the truck did good. I blended 50/50 in one tank and used the other for diesel to purge the motor somewhat.

Its time to map out the system. I am going over your posts to get together a parts list and some questions that I wil post up in the next few days.

Bill
Yep, I'm still around!!

Quick Reply: New Powerstroke Owner in Denver