Wiper/Washer wont work

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 01:52 PM
TruckNut
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wiper/Washer wont work

[1996 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4x4 3.0L V6]

My windshield wipers and washer won’t work anymore. I have been trying to trace the problem down. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-All fuses are good.

-The motors work and the wires leading from the motors thorough the firewall seem to work.

-Also, the wires from the steering wheel switch to the wiring harness above the clutch seem to work as well.

The only thing I can think of is that either the switch is faulty possibly not providing enough current to activate the relays (using my wire tester, attached to ground, I can find the single wire in the harness that changes with the intermittent wiper switch) or between the wiring harness and the wires leading through the firewall there might be a control module of some sort that isn't working. But I am unable to locate any module if one exists.

The reason why I suspect a control module is that the wire in the wiring harness that has the intermittent/washer signal is grey/red and the wire going thorough the firewall that I can get wiper motor movement from is yellow...so somewhere they must connect to something under the dash.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Old 08-09-2003, 03:18 AM
WolfRanger
New User
Wiper/Washer wont work

I think from what you said you've gotten the motors to work with a bypass or something as such..sooooo, check resistance from point a to point b wherever you can..on the assumption that you find no problems, I'd guess you may be right, and yes there should be a control module in there somewhere. Good way to find it would probably be to trace it from the power source back to it if you can. In other words..start at the fuse block and head back..there's bound to be a module somewhere and it probably wont be very big but for intermittents there has to be a simple timing circuit somewhere in the system.

Old 08-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wiper/Washer wont work

My '98 has two wiper relays located in the power distribution box in the engine compartment. I would think your '95 has the same, or at least one.

Did you bypass the relay(s) when you checked the wiper motor? Maybe one the relays themselves are bad.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:44 PM
TruckNut
New User
Wiper/Washer wont work

I checked the relays in the power distribution box and they are good and I followed the wiring as best I could from every direction. I can follow the wiring from the motors to the distribution block and into the firewall...and I can follow the wires from the combo switch to the wiring harness under the steering column but then I lose it. Somewhere between the wiring harness and exiting the firewall there must be a module or something, but I haven't found it yet.

Either way, I went back to where I purchased the truck from, Brewer Chyrsler in Auburn, WA and talked to the Sales Manager, Chuck Lucas and they are so nice there that they are going to outsource my truck to a local Ford dealer and get it fixed for me at no cost to me. This has been one of best dealerships I have done business with.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:49 PM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
Wiper/Washer wont work

try the little plug that connects to your washer fluid conatner, that happend to me just plug it back in and it should work, if not go back to the dealer ship

Old 09-10-2003, 04:31 PM
dfbusey
New User
Question Wiper/Washer wont work

Trucknut,

Greetings from Beaverton.

I'm having the same identical wiper/washer problem on my 1996 Ranger Splash supercab.

Has the shop got this resolved yet? I'd be grateful to know what they found the root cause to be. If U could pass that info aalong, it'd probably save my mechanic some time and labor.

Many, Many thanks in advance!
David