1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 F3

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:57 PM
wbfog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1950 F3

I just acquired a complete running 1950 F3. I am so excited about this truck as is my wife, but not sure what direction to go. Thats why I'm here. I am a ASE master tech with over 30yrs experience in the auto industry as well as heavy trucks. I owned my own shop for 15yrs specializing in Euro cars. I now teach automotive at a college here in Texas. I am not a body guy by any means. I know I want to keep the flat V8, no doubt. I think they are so cool! I would like this truck to be fun to drive and dependable. I've read a bit about the Toyota power steering conversion which sounds nice. I also know I want modern ac. I am not really interested in the patina look. I would like to have a really cool different look that stands out. I have never restored a vehicle, but for the first time in my life I have time! I would really like input on all areas.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:53 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Howdy WBFOG,
Welcome to the best source of info on the '48-'56 trucks. Plenty of help and support right here to do everything you need (and want) to do to your truck.
You get bonus points for posting pictures on your first post. Nice solid one you have there. I don't see any real challenges based on the condition - except perhaps the running boards. There are a few parts of an F3 that are not reproduced, and those are one of them. So be careful handling them, you may have to spend some time and effort to save them. Same with the tailgate, bed and brake drums and shoes. Those are the items that are hard to find but at least you are in the part of the country to find better used ones if necessary. As for the rest - pick up some catalogs from LMC Truck, Dennis Carpenter, and other places and get an idea of what items they sell - which is plenty. As for A/C, there are some threads here that cover that topic. Actually, there are threads archived here that will tell you with confidence about every aspect of your restoration, and customization. You won't be lacking info.
Start with a plan, take it one step at a time and keep us posted of your progress. We at FTE offer encouragement in great doses.
That truck of yours has great character.
Welcome again,
Tom in Maine.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:37 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Add my welcome. Glad to see another F-3 being brought back to life. It looks to be in fine shape.

There are a few things you will face with an F-3 that Tom above didn't face with his F-2. You have 14" rear drums where the F-2 model has 12" drums. Hopefully yours are within spec because replacements aren't easy to find. A bigger related issue are the F-3's 17" two piece wheels that were needed to clear the rear drums. I'll spare you the speech, but would suggest you do a Google search for the trade name Firestone RH-5° and, common name, widow maker. There are remedies we can go into if you still have questions after your time on Google. From your pictures I can't tell if the wheels are the original 17s, or whether the prior owner already swapped them. If they are not 17s he did you a big favor.

As Tom said, your truck looks to have none of the cancer issues that plague us in the rust belt. That said, I have two I hauled out of Phoenix that have more rust than I see in your pictures. Also interesting to me is your Magic Air heater, but I guess Texas does get cold sometimes too. Stu

Old 08-30-2015, 08:28 AM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
Great truck! Welcome!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:13 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
I forgot to mention, you might want to get a truck shop manual if you don't have one already - they are very helpful.
Here is one that is a pretty good price.
Any manual you find for under $50 is worth every penny.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-1951-Ford-Pickup-Truck-Shop-Manual-Original-FOMOCO-Old-Used-Shop-Book-/381378892093?hash=item58cbf4113d&vxp=mtr

Old 08-30-2015, 09:55 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Welcome! It is nice to see another 3/4 ton pickup. Your truck looks like a great project.

As for a cool different look, at this point I find a stock truck to fit that description. Whenever I go to a cruise night, or rarely to a car show, I see very few original trucks. Most trucks have different wheels, suspension, motors, interior, etc.

I like the heavy bumpers. They look good on a larger pickup.

A/C is really nice in Texas. I am still on the fence about A/C in my F-2. Eventually I will probably add air. If I don't my significant other probably won't ride in the truck with me.

Here is a picture of my F-2 for reference:

Old 08-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

That's a fine looking truck. And thanks for all the pics to start with. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:58 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll also add my welcome, to the best darn place for info and support on these great old trucks.
Stu is our resident expert on the 'widow maker' rims and also has a lot of knowledge to share on the larger trucks.
Pineconeford mentioned the shop manual, it is a MUST have and worth it's weight in gold. In addition, you will want to also get the Master Parts and Accessories Catalog. It has probably 98% of the part numbers as well as some great detailed illustrations. It's available on CD so you can load it directly to your computer.
1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage

Old 08-30-2015, 12:18 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I sure welcome another F3. I'm a newb here and starting about where you're at with my F3.

These guys aren't kidding about scarcity of F3 parts and lack of some reproduction parts. I'm finding that out myself.

You're going to love this forum. Good luck with your build.

Scott in Tucson

Old 08-30-2015, 07:30 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome! While I am not familar with all the needs of the big 'uns, I can tell you that Chuck's Trucks and Job Lot may both be of interest.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:24 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Thats a nice looking truck and a great starting point. If i ever get my F6 back together i hope to get working on my F2.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:32 PM
wbfog
New User
Thanks for rolling out the welcome mat! I have ordered the owners and shop manual both. The rims are not the split or widow maker rims, although the originals would not have bothered me. I spent time around the heavy truck scene where these were common. Just air them up in a cage, not in front of you. I will be focused on the engine and powertrain this fall and winter. I would love some ideas of what to do to the engine as far as upgrades. I've been told the fuel pump was notorious for vapor locking because of location. I know I will upgrade the 6 volt system, ignition system, and water pumps. I haven't done much research about internal engine upgrades. I was also told this V-8 was bad about cracking blocks around the valves.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:00 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wbfog
Thanks for rolling out the welcome mat! I have ordered the owners and shop manual both. The rims are not the split or widow maker rims, although the originals would not have bothered me. I spent time around the heavy truck scene where these were common. Just air them up in a cage, not in front of you. I will be focused on the engine and powertrain this fall and winter. I would love some ideas of what to do to the engine as far as upgrades. I've been told the fuel pump was notorious for vapor locking because of location. I know I will upgrade the 6 volt system, ignition system, and water pumps. I haven't done much research about internal engine upgrades. I was also told this V-8 was bad about cracking blocks around the valves.
Actually, these trucks had the actual widow makers, many big truck people 'thought' that all split rims were 'widow makers', believe, they were NOT. These Firestone RH 5° don't look like look like the big truck split rims. So does this truck have tubeless or lock rings? I started driving TT back in the early 70's so I know the difference. I changed many lock ring split rims without a cage, never had a problem so long as you made sure they were in good shape. These actual widow makers, I wouldn't touch.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:31 AM
wbfog
New User
Good to know. I will pay close attention to the rims next time I'm at the shop. I had quickly read about the widow maker being a split rim, so I just assumed I knew. I see the difference now. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:42 PM
52 4x4
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice F-3 you have there! I have a friend who is just starting to restore one like it. We've found that it's not real easy to tell a '49 from a '50 by the VIN. His s/n is 264,XXX and is licensed as a '50. Some think the split between a '49 and '50 came around 280,000 to 300,000. - Bob

Quick Reply: 1950 F3