New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!

New and need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:32 AM
UFOMedic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New and need some advice

Hello,

I have owned Fords all my life, (yes even a Pinto) and I have been very happy with every one EXCEPT my 2007 F-250 6.0L that I have now. I have replaced 7 ERGs valves, a EGR Cooler as well as some rails etc... and I am fed up with all the repair cost on this truck!

I am thinking of buying a new F-350 but I am not sure I want another Ford Diesel because of the problems noted above. I have a couple of questions for everyone.

I tow a 30' travel trailer in Colorado and my questions are...

1. Should I buy a gas or Diesel?

2. What is the history of the current diesel eng.? Are there problems with this Eng. like there are with the 6.0L

3. Are there any problems with this truck I need to know about?

4. Tell me something I don't know about this truck?

Thanks to all for you help and advice!

Mike

Old 08-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Firedick
New User
Howdy UFOMedic

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic... and I'm new to the forum. I've owned my diesel for ten years and recently heard this about the "Ford" Diesel engine history. If anyone knows this info to be incorrect, please chime in.

You know that the great ole 7.3 is a International Harvester. The 6.0 is as well, made for Ford to be cleaner. As you also know, it's had it's share of problems but IH would not compensate Ford for all the returns and repairs. Basically told Ford "Read the contract, pound sand". They together came up with the 6.4. Still a IH because Ford had no place else to go. But Ford had a plan the 6.7. As soon as it was ready for production Ford cut ties with IH. As I understand it, the 6.7 is a good engine, a Ford engine. Only time will tell if it's a great engine.

As to gas or diesel: I'm sold on diesel. I love the slow steady roll on torque, as well as the brute power. Sure, it's not the high revving hot rod type power, but that helps me keep my foot out of it. I love my 7.3 and when I break her I'll rebuild her. Last truck for me.

Again, I'm no expert the above is just my humble opinion.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:22 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to the site

Tony

Old 08-31-2015, 08:14 PM
UFOMedic
New User
Hi Thanks for you in site! I have owned 5 Fords and 1 Chevy and I have loved all my Fords but I have the 6.0 Diesel and it has been killing me in down time and repair costs, in a word the 6.0 sucks. It was my understanding that Ford won nearly a billion dollar settlement with IH for the 6.0, but maybe my info was wrong. I also understand that there was a class against Ford for the 6.0 but mine is 07 and by the time I started having problems with mine the class was over and they told me to go pound sand. I asked an attorney and they said they would be happy to charge $300 an hr to write letters to Ford, but it would get me nothing except a big bill from the attorney. I love my truck but it has to go and I am not sure I am willing to give Ford another $60K. I am looking at the Ford and the RAM and right now leaning towards the RAM.

Thanks again for the response and the info.

Mike

Originally Posted by Firedick
Howdy UFOMedic

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic... and I'm new to the forum. I've owned my diesel for ten years and recently heard this about the "Ford" Diesel engine history. If anyone knows this info to be incorrect, please chime in.

You know that the great ole 7.3 is a International Harvester. The 6.0 is as well, made for Ford to be cleaner. As you also know, it's had it's share of problems but IH would not compensate Ford for all the returns and repairs. Basically told Ford "Read the contract, pound sand". They together came up with the 6.4. Still a IH because Ford had no place else to go. But Ford had a plan the 6.7. As soon as it was ready for production Ford cut ties with IH. As I understand it, the 6.7 is a good engine, a Ford engine. Only time will tell if it's a great engine.

As to gas or diesel: I'm sold on diesel. I love the slow steady roll on torque, as well as the brute power. Sure, it's not the high revving hot rod type power, but that helps me keep my foot out of it. I love my 7.3 and when I break her I'll rebuild her. Last truck for me.

Again, I'm no expert the above is just my humble opinion.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:37 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
I can see that you already have your mind made up but those repeat failures that you have been having are not common. I think that your mechanics might have used substandard parts.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 PM
UFOMedic
New User
Thanks for your input but all ford parts done by the dealer.