Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Swap to kill PATS?

Old 08-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
PCM Swap to kill PATS?

Welp... I knew having only one key was gonna bite me in the butt.

My only Excursion key fell off my keyring while I was riding my motorcycle. It's somewhere on a 30 mile stretch of I-95 and probably run over by now.

Now I've gotta drill out the steering column and replace the ignition cylinder.
I've gotta replace the door lock cylinders and tailgate cylinder...

Rather than programming keys to work the PATS system. I'm going to swap out my PCM with a 2000 Superduty WITHOUT PATS. That way, I can get several keys cut.

I can buy a junkyard PCM for about the same price as getting one PATS key cut.

Anyone know what specific part number PCM I'm looking for?

Looks like there's six different ones available:

Electronic Control Module, (LH firewall), 10-415 (6.8L), AT, standard emissions (Fed), PTO, ID YC3F-YC
Electronic Control Module, (LH firewall), 10-415 (6.8L), AT, standard emissions (Fed), PTO, ID YC3F-YD
Electronic Control Module, (LH firewall), 10-415 (6.8L), AT, standard emissions (Fed), PTO, ID YC3F-YE
Electronic Control Module, (LH firewall), 10-415 (6.8L), AT, standard emissions (Fed), w/o PTO; ID YC3F-ADC
Electronic Control Module, (LH firewall), 10-415 (6.8L), AT, standard emissions (Fed), w/o PTO; ID YC3F-ADD
Electronic Control Module, (LH firewall), 10-415 (6.8L), AT, standard emissions (Fed), w/o PTO; ID YC3F-ADE

Old 08-28-2015, 01:14 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it still has the OE cylinder codes, you can have Ford cut you a new key. then get 2 keys and have them programmed.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's too old for a dealer to get the key code (we can only go 10 years back) but a locksmith can and it would probably be a lot less hassle and cost to have a locksmith come out and cut new keys and program.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:02 PM
psycoreefer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe the PCM's are compatible to swap between the trucks and excursions. I remember reading about this someplace and the wiring in an ex is 'ex specific'. I did quite a bit of research on swapping a manual trans into my ex (not started yet) and this was one of the pieces others have run into in that process, a manual truck PCM can't be used in an ex, but one of the tunners can write a custom tune to make the auto PCM work like a manual PCM.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Jeremy05
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can on 6.0 diesel. I've done it twice. My current 05 ex and my old one(also an 05). I put 2004 truck PCM's in them. No issues what so ever.

Wish I could help ya on the gasser.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:56 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by psycoreefer
I don't believe the PCM's are compatible to swap between the trucks and excursions.
They are, as long as the PCM from the truck is a California prepped truck.

The Cali prepped F-Series 7.3L PSD trucks came with GPCM's just like ALL 7.3L powered Excursion. Non-California prepped trucks had GPR's.

But even if you get a GPR PCM, you can swap out the engine harness of the Ex for one made for a GPR 7.3L truck and it will work, and no more PATS.

I remember reading about this someplace and the wiring in an ex is 'ex specific'.
Not the engine harness. Not compared to a California prepped 7.3L truck.

Joe (CSIPSD) got tired of replacing GPCM's in his wifes 7.3L Ex, so he bought a non-Cali prepped truck PCM, a replacement engine harness, cut the GPCM mount down, and installed a GPR.

Stewart

Old 08-29-2015, 05:44 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
6.8 V10. No glow plugs.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Pele
6.8 V10. No glow plugs.
Yeah, my response was for psychoreefer and his general statement that PCM's can't be swapped between trucks and Excursions. I just used Joe's modification to illustrate that they indeed can be swapped.

Stewart

Old 09-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Bump - Anyone?

I've got new lock cylinders installed. I really don't want to winch this onto my trailer and drag it to the Ford Dealership.

Ford wants $120 to flash new keys. Local locksmith wants $175.
And because I bought my cylinders and keys online, they want the money whether or not the programming works.

The other option, I'm a big Mazda guy and may have an in at the Mazda dealership. Would a Mazda dealer have the right programmer? Did the Mazda B-Series or Tribute have PATS like the Ranger or Escape?

Old 09-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are you at, I seem to remember you are in Maryland somewhere?

Old 09-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Archion
Where are you at, I seem to remember you are in Maryland somewhere?
Woodbridge, VA.

Cowles Ford
would be the dealership that I'd have to use. They were none too pleased to hear that I got the lock cylinders offline and said that people damage the computers by replacing the lock cylinders themselves.

I don't see how. It'd be like blowing a head gasket because you rotated the tires.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:14 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn. That might be a bit too far. I know a guy with Ford IDS and Programming on his laptop but he's in Hagerstown and works in B'More. He can do PATS with it. And I don't know anyone down here with autoEngenuity.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I'd find someone with an IDS who is an independent to do the work... Sounds like you've got it almost figured out though. Maybe scout the local clist for a tech offering services with an IDS. From what I hear a PATS reprogram isn't extremely difficult with that tool.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Pele
They were none too pleased to hear that I got the lock cylinders offline and said that people damage the computers by replacing the lock cylinders themselves.
Oh Lord have mercy they are so full of poop it's making the blond haired, blue eyed babe at their reception desk have brown eyes now.

Stewart

Old 09-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just moved and haven't unpacked (read: haven't found) all of my electrical notes for my Excursion (which is a 2000 V10), but I cannot recall any reason off the top of my head why a truck box won't work, unless it is a pinout issue- which I'm pretty sure the pinouts are constant for each motor.

From the memory of my experience so far, all the "Excursion" extras on the underhood fusebox don't even run through the ECM.

Of course, I'm just going by memory right now, until I find my stuff...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM Swap to kill PATS?