Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Towing questions and comments

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 AM
afbrian13
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start with I have been reading all over the place-truck forums, RV forums, dealer sites- trying to average some info together on what I can/cannot pull with my truck.

I have a 99 f250 v10/auto/4x4/4.30 gears/5th wheel prep (at least everything is welded to the frame and I have the wiring)

All over everyone says for a big 5er to get a 350 diesel dually. I know the new 6.7s are rediculous on what they can handle. However, for an early 2000's v10, the numbers don't change much between SD models.
Matter of fact, the manual says my setup can handle for than most diesels because of the less engine weight and tall gearing. After reading about suspension differences, there are no functional differences in the 250 and 350 other than spring height and rear blocks.

So what's the deal? Are people that stuck on "350 dually diesel" has to be the best, or are there some differences I'm not finding?

All numbers say my 99 can tow the same as any other (same years/generation) truck, sometimes more. Especially after my headers, tuner, and airbags.

What are your thoughts? I'm I getting the right info? Is everyone that biased against 250 v10's?

Old 08-28-2015, 10:34 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Here's my take, and it is just my own opinion. I say this as the owner of a 02 7.3 dually. In my opinion, diesels are oversold for towing and are likely not required by the majority of owners who tow. I know folks often address purchases of trucks, along with most everything else, as a need, but I believe the diesely sound and the cache that goes along with diesel ownership often plays a very large role. I do not mean this as a put-down, I just don't think the justification is there for diesel ownership by most owners.

I have also owned V10s in class C motor homes that were absolutely reliable and certainly cost less to maintain than many diesels (again just my take).

So, from where I stand, while encouraging folks to stay within the manufacturer weight ratings for their truck, if you have the numbers, you have the truck! I get a kick out of my diesel, but I sure don't need it.

Steve

Old 08-28-2015, 01:41 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts

I pulled a heavy 5th wheel with my 2000 V10 DRW SC 4.30 gears, it pulled heavy trailers for 13 years with it until I bought our 2013 6.2 DRW 4.30 gears. All but 1 year our trailers were in the high 15K to 16K like our present trailer. You can't compare a F250 to a DRW because of its ability to haul heavy loads in the bed, they use a Dana 80 rear end and when you figure the weight carrying capability of the 4 tires over the tires on a F250 there is no comparison, the DRW of that time frame also had a little heavier spring. My 2000 had a 11,000 lb GVWR. The blocks make no difference in weight carrying they just raise the truck, my DRW trucks are 2x4 so they have no blocks.

Your F250 compared to a F350 SRW are close with a few changes, one is the tire size 235/85/16 compared to 265/75/16 tires, the 265s give you more carrying compasity over the 235s but you will have to change to 7"wheels to use them. If you have stock tires and you take the weight rating X2 you will get your axle rating on the door post that's how the F350 get a higher axle rating. The F350 also has heavier sway bars compared to most F250s and I found some F250 that didn't have the overloads.

Your 99 has less HP and torque than my 2000 with the PI heads so with the bigger tires compared to the 215/85/16 I had your performance will be down compared to mine.

I've pulled 12.5K trailers with a 91 F250 and then the same trailer with my 2000 DRW and there is no comparison, I will never go back to a SRW long as we are pulling trailers.

Denny

Old 08-28-2015, 03:36 PM
afbrian13
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I understand that the drw has more capacity because of the extra 2 tires, and they are more stable.

As for the axle, I'm going to check my tab on the diff because it looks exactly like my friends 350 diff.

I do have the 265 tires. That's even what the sticker lists for it. I also bought the high load version (same as the 350) last time. I bought a pallet of landscaping block, just over 2100lbs, and all it did was level the rake, and drove like normal.No tire squat.

I'm putting air bags on the back, headers/y pipe, and a tuner. I'm also adding a steering stabalizer up front. I think with these mods I should be fine for whatever I want to buy trailer wise. It's not going to be every weekend. We're going to park it and leave it in one spot for about a year, then a one time tow to the next duty station. Hopefully I make rank again after that and can pickup a newer (or new) truck by then.
Thanks again,
Brian

Old 08-28-2015, 04:05 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
I think usage is the key. Denny is a heavy user, which I respect. In my opinion, it would be hard to justify diesel expense in your situation.

Steve

Old 08-28-2015, 04:56 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by afbrian13
Thanks for the replies.
I understand that the drw has more capacity because of the extra 2 tires, and they are more stable.

As for the axle, I'm going to check my tab on the diff because it looks exactly like my friends 350 diff.

I do have the 265 tires. That's even what the sticker lists for it. I also bought the high load version (same as the 350) last time. I bought a pallet of landscaping block, just over 2100lbs, and all it did was level the rake, and drove like normal.No tire squat.

I'm putting air bags on the back, headers/y pipe, and a tuner. I'm also adding a steering stabalizer up front. I think with these mods I should be fine for whatever I want to buy trailer wise. It's not going to be every weekend. We're going to park it and leave it in one spot for about a year, then a one time tow to the next duty station. Hopefully I make rank again after that and can pickup a newer (or new) truck by then.
Thanks again,
Brian
The Dana 80 is only in the DRW, I had a 2000 V10 CC SRW 4.30 gears with a 8.5 ft utility box and the rear axle was at max weight all the time and the only problem I had was getting mileage out of the tires, I also used air bags.

In your situation I wouldn't want a DRW either and as you can tell by what I'm driving I'm not a diesel fan. I would rethink the headers and Y pipe because the 2V V10 can get some strange noises with little gain in performance. The steering stabilizer would be a good add on along with air bags to level the truck, I've never used a tuner so I have no experience with one.

When you are looking at trailers take 20% of the GVWR and that should be close to the loaded pin weight.

Denny

Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
The Dana 80 is only in the DRW, I had a 2000 V10 CC SRW 4.30 gears with a 8.5 ft utility box and the rear axle was at max weight all the time and the only problem I had was getting mileage out of the tires, I also used air bags.

In your situation I wouldn't want a DRW either and as you can tell by what I'm driving I'm not a diesel fan. I would rethink the headers and Y pipe because the 2V V10 can get some strange noises with little gain in performance. The steering stabilizer would be a good add on along with air bags to level the truck, I've never used a tuner so I have no experience with one.

When you are looking at trailers take 20% of the GVWR and that should be close to the loaded pin weight.

Denny

I installed the Banks headers with the included Y-pipe and (balance of exhaust still stock) and saw about a 1 MPG gain in solo driving (not a lot of that with this rig ) and about .5 gain while towing. I have yet to hear of anyone getting any strange noises with these headers on a 2V PI motor. I have read of folks getting the "flutter" when using just the aftermarket Y-pipe behind the stock manifolds. I don't know how "shorty" headers may affect any noises but I think long tube headers will offer better gains in a towing application than "shorties" will.

I run custom tunes from 5Star and they greatly improve the driving/towing experience. Mostly from much better trans performance but the motor does have better response and slightly better output. I have found that their 87&89 Octane performance tunes work well with my mods (which they took into consideration when writing the tunes) and driving style while towing.

We don't tow quite as heavy as some of the pickups do with the larger 5ers, our TT weighs 11,000lbs which is enough for me behind an EXcursion. But I agree with what has been said about a V-10 250 (or SRW 350) being a good choice for your planned usage.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:27 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The F350 and F250 literally the same truck with different weight ratings and a taller rear spring block in the F350 vs a heavy F250. At lower altitudes the V10 will pull anything a stock diesel of the same era can just as well but will burn more fuel, throw a tuner on the diesel and it's a different story.
In Iowa we can tow Farm commodity products of literally any weight with the correct licensing and GVRW doesn't apply just tire weight ratings. I have pushed over the 22,500# trailer weight rating on my 35' flatbed with hay a few times with my 06 F350 V10. While it's not a duly it still pulls the load is solid as a boulder (vs little old rocks for Chevys), i'm talking one-handed driving and have never needed the the skinny pedal anywhere near the floor (4000rpm max for seconds). Dad has pulled the same trailer with the same weight as I have with his 2000 heavy F250 V10 and it held the trailer the same as mine but it is a skinny pedal to the floor and while it pulled like a champ the 3.73's and less gears really show up.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:23 PM
mptjelgin
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I started with a 1999 F-250, V-10, 3.73. It handled my 26' travel trailer very well, but when I moved up to a 30' fifth wheel it was a little anemic. I changed the rear end gears to 4.30, upgraded to 265 tires and happily towed that 10,000 pound fifth wheel all over the USA, including many trips into the Rockies.

In 2010 I purchased an F-350 SRW, V-10, 4.30 and a 35' fifth wheel that weighs about 14,000 pounds. I've towed that one across the USA and into the Rockies and am completely satisfied with the new rig. The biggest difference isn't the engine, but rather the transmission. The tow/haul mode on the newer transmission is incredibly effective at engine braking on long, steep downhill grades.

So I feel that the V-10 is perfectly capable of towing most of the fifth wheel trailers on the market. The important thing to do is check the various weight ratings. If you know what the capacities are for your specific truck, you can easily determine how much of a trailer you can safely handle.

There is certainly a class of trailers that require a DRW truck, and the diesel engines. But I agree with RV Tech that diesel trucks are oversold for towing trailers.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:40 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
After having owned SRW trucks and now a dually I'm not sure I'd go back to SRW. I don't tow 5th wheels but do tow a heavy bumper pull dump trailer. As others have said, the dually just behaves better and carries the weight better when towing heavy. I also find the dually to ride smoother when empty than the previous 250.

I'd imagine that 6.7 pulls like crazy and I can't say I wouldn't want one. Watching the Ohio Truck Meet videos here on FTE gives some perspective on heavy towing up a hill with a variety of engines and years. Although the early 2V V10 does struggle quite a bit at the meets. But it is overloaded by 5,000lbs or so with the trailer they pull and the one 7.3 doesn't leave you with any fuzzy feelings either.

I sit in comfort with my V10 knowing it is still offered, and advertised, in the 450, 550, & 650 chassis trucks. Gotta be a reason why, and a good one at that.