Help Diagnosing 4X4 Front Axle Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 05:57 PM
tjgalinski
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Diagnosing 4X4 Front Axle Trouble

Hey Guys,
I'm Having problems with my front Axle on a 4X4 truck with esof. I am going to do my best to explain what is going on.

My truck was steering very weird, very shaky on slight right turns and actually the steering wheel would get stuck once in a while and not want to turn right at all in the middle of a turn. At first I was thinking that it might be the axle u-joints.

I wound up taking off the locking hubs on the right and left wheels. The left one was fine but the right one was broken up inside. The right stub axle splines are also worn down a bunch. With the locking hubs off I covered the axle ends with plastic bags and rubber band and have been driving the truck here and there and have not had any steering issues.

I had my girlfriend drive the truck and I watched the axles in 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive. In 2 wheel drive neither front side axles spin. I 4 wheel drive the left axle spins but the right does not.

After she parked it I went under and turned the front drive shaft while the truck was in 2 wheel drive and the front left spins but the front right does not.
When I turn the right axle forward the left axle turns backward but the front drive shaft does not turn.
When I turn the left axle the front drive shaft turns but the right axle does nothing.

Any ideas on what I'm facing here? Why would the locking hub bust up inside? And shouldn't the left Axle spin when in 4 wheel drive or while I'm turning the front drive axle?

Thanks For all the help you guys have given me in the past. And thanks for helping me with this problem.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:31 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tjgalinski
I wound up taking off the locking hubs on the right and left wheels. The left one was fine but the right one was broken up inside. The right stub axle splines are also worn down a bunch. With the locking hubs off I covered the axle ends with plastic bags and rubber band and have been driving the truck here and there and have not had any steering issues.
You've answered your own question. You had one hub locked and one free.

Get a new hub, and probably a stub shaft and you should be fine.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:42 AM
tjgalinski
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, I hope that is it. I dont want to wreck another Locking hub. Ugh