1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Torque Pro and a Tablet OR physical gauges ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 03:38 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Torque Pro and a Tablet OR physical gauges ?

I have a analog Autometer Ford factory match pyro and boost gauges waiting to be installed. However, I'm debating if I should continue adding more analog gauges, or do a tablet and torque pro.

I can get an off-brand 7" android tablet for about $50 ( for the next few days, when the sale ends.) I'm guessing probably another $100 - $150 or so for things like the OBD2 dongle and App, as well as a mount and permanent power supply, etc...

The HPOP analog gauge alone is over $200, and that's just 1 gauge. So, I'm thinking that the tablet/app would be more cost effective. But, what do I really want to monitor, and which ones can be displayed by the app, vs. still needing a separate gauge?
HPOP/ICP - digital capable
IPR - digital capable, but not something I really care about, as far as monitoring it all the time.
Fuel Pressure - Since the PCM doesn't monitor, is there any way to get this on the torque pro?
EBP/MAP/Boost - The pcm indicated boost won't be accurate due to the BRV+, and I don't care about the other 2 outside of temporary troubleshooting, ie not something I need to see every time I get in the truck.

ECT/EOT - Eh. Not all that important to me. The dash "gauges" are good enough for everyday use. If I am troubleshooting a problem, then I can use my scanner.

So, of the 4 things I want to see all the time (boost, pyro/EGT, ICP, FP), I already have gauges for 2, and a 3rd (FP) can only be monitored via an additional analog gauge. So, the way I see it, ICP is the only thing I might have a use for the torque pro. Not worth the hassle of learning the software and finding somewhere to mount the tablet , even if its still cheaper then 1 analog HPOP/ICP gauge.

Is there something I'm missing? Can someone point out other uses or reasons why I might want the tablet/Torque Pro anyway?

Old 08-27-2015, 05:02 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
with the torque app set up properly, which can be extensive just search torque app, the only real gauge other that fuel pressure stuff, you need is EGT.. the rest you can get via TA..

ICP, Trans fluid temp, HPOP info, engine oil temp, etc..

lots of info just search it.. I got a 50 dollar table and it work great.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:15 PM
01v10FORD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carl I have a 4r100 trans and wanted a temp gauge as well. Wondering if the Torque app will work and if it is pretty accurate. I've tried to do some research and I think the temp sensor is in the trans pan so should work? Also can you use this while driving and what about if you lose signal in the mountains etc? Not to bright on technology these days.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
{cracking knuckles}

Ahem.... It's not so much a matter of what you want to monitor, it's more a matter of what you need to monitor when those parts with many miles and years start to act up. The "I don't need no stinking IPR" approach won't let you know in advance that things are starting to go sideways. What good is all this functionality on the side of the road? You're on the freaking side of the road! I caught a wonky IPR reading on a long road trip far from home - so I stopped in the next town to address it before it got worse. Delayed? Yes, but with ample support nearby - not in the middle of nowhere with a snowstorm, no cell signal, and a dead engine.

I admit, my travels take me further from civilization than many others - so the importance of situational awareness varies from owner to owner. Oh... make real sure the budget tablet has BlueTooth, many don't.

Here is the latest collection of Torque Pro PIDs - provided by the FTE brotherhood: [LINK]

My gauges: Dual EGTs, Fuel Pressure, Boost (because of the boost fooler on the MAP sensor line). I have a 3-gauge pod, so I put a DPDT switch on my 0-60 PSI boost gauge to switch to a Fuel Pressure sensor I bought separately. It works great.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:56 AM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I might change my Sig to the line: "Torque Pro, When 3 gauges are not Enough".......

Old 08-28-2015, 10:39 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
{cracking knuckles}

Ahem.... It's not so much a matter of what you want to monitor, it's more a matter of what you need to monitor when those parts with many miles and years start to act up. The "I don't need no stinking IPR" approach won't let you know in advance that things are starting to go sideways. What good is all this functionality on the side of the road? You're on the freaking side of the road! I caught a wonky IPR reading on a long road trip far from home - so I stopped in the next town to address it before it got worse. Delayed? Yes, but with ample support nearby - not in the middle of nowhere with a snowstorm, no cell signal, and a dead engine.

I admit, my travels take me further from civilization than many others - so the importance of situational awareness varies from owner to owner.....
I don't really travel in the middle of nowhere. Even on a long drive, its pretty much on major highways and populated areas. Barring an immediate, sudden, catastrophic failure, I would assume that I can limp the truck home if something goes bad. Worst case, it gets towed. Its not like I would try to perform any serious repairs on the side of the road anyway. I certainly wouldn't be sitting on the side of the highway, attempting to track down a slightly "wonky" IPR reading. If it moves under its own power, I'm driving it home. I'll figure it out there.
Of course, as you said, if I were much further away, possibly in the middle of nowhere, it would be a different story

Oh... make real sure the budget tablet has BlueTooth, many don't.
Good point. I could of sworn the sign in the store said it had BlueTooth, but when I looked it up online, it doesn't seem to. Well, that just makes this idea even more expensive.

Here is the latest collection of Torque Pro PIDs - provided by the FTE brotherhood: [LINK]
Thanks. I'll check it out.

My gauges: Dual EGTs, Fuel Pressure, Boost (because of the boost fooler on the MAP sensor line). I have a 3-gauge pod, so I put a DPDT switch on my 0-60 PSI boost gauge to switch to a Fuel Pressure sensor I bought separately. It works great.
Interesting idea, with the switch. Have you checked to make sure its accurate, when used as a fuel pressure gauge, since that's not its designed function? Does the switch/wiring add any resistance that affects the reading?
I guess we know where you stand on fuel pressure then; somewhere under 60psi. I know some people like to run a little more, with modded/tuned motors.
In any case, this wouldn't work for me, as I bought a 0-35psi boost gauge. I would prefer to use nearly the entire sweep of the gauge, both for higher "resolution" , as well as just personal preference, aesthetically. Knowing I would never use more then the first half of the gauge (with a 0-60) just didn't sit right with me. I'd rather see it almost get pegged. Also, and I should have mentioned this first, but I have a mechanical boost gauge......

I like that setup, but I have a stick, so none of that works for me. That's my other dilemma, as to where I could permanently mount a tablet so that its
a.) be able to comfortably read while driving.
b.) not in the way of any other vehicle function (shifting, climate control, radio etc..); as well as not interfere with my overall use of the truck, including ingress/egress and grabbing "things" inside the cab.
c.) not get damaged, either by physical contact and/or heat damage.
d.) not be an inviting target for thieves.

If it became something I had to bring with me and install/remove frequently, it would quickly lose its novelty and get left at home, which would defeat the purpose.

I thought about on top of the dash, but this pretty well violates c.) and d.) above.
Attaching to the dash, via a mount installed in the blank plate where the electronic 4x4 switch would be easy to see and operate, but would violate b.) , blocking radio and climate control access. It would also put the tablet near/ in front of a heater duct. Maybe not so good in the winter.