1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ford Considering Ranger & Bronco Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:14 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Ford Considering Ranger & Bronco Resurrection

Another Ranger rumor but in print. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ToCbwDEa565FJA

Old 08-27-2015, 12:34 PM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I determined at least a year ago that once I made my decision on a new truck and pulled the trigger, within a year Ford would announce the return of the Ranger to the US.

The process has begun, maybe?

Old 08-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Well if ya read it it will not be anytime soon! Wife wants new truck for me NOW and is set on a new 4dr tacoma. Will go look at them again maybe tonight or this weekend since they are supposedly on sale for clearance. Looked at them a month or so ago and they were around $30K 2wd 4.0. With a new ranger years away and a new model it would be at least 5 years before anyone would want to buy one I think since most will come with new bugs to work out.

Alternative is to keep the 94, get new tires this week end and.....................?

Old 08-28-2015, 12:19 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think they are finally seeing the sales figures of the smaller trucks going up as many people DON'T want a big ( F-150) in their garage and more importantly don't need one either.

Now if they can drop a diesel engine or two as an option I'd be very happy...

Old 08-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Just went by the toy dealer today who is having a year end sale. Got the numbers on a new taco 2wd 4dr. Turns out it is the same price as quoted to me about 2 months ago. OTD $33K.

Told wife I was going to go to wally world this week end and just buy new tires and keep the ranger for a while longer.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:35 PM
nelbur
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't get excited by that Ranger, but I would be interested in a new Bronco. My old '86 Bronco is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nelbur
I don't get excited by that Ranger, but I would be interested in a new Bronco. My old '86 Bronco is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Unless it is a rust bucket, I would hang on to the 86 Bronco.

If they do the Bronco, I wonder if it would be full size or smaller like the Jeep Wrangler.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:53 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by smlford
I think they are finally seeing the sales figures of the smaller trucks going up as many people DON'T want a big ( F-150) in their garage and more importantly don't need one either.

Now if they can drop a diesel engine or two as an option I'd be very happy...
I think Ford really messed up by dropping the Ranger.

They Offered a Diesel option in 1983-85 I think it was......

They should just resume production where they left off in 2011 with the Ranger, and NOT bring that UGLY Australlian version to the States!

Same for the Diesel Option: They should resurrect the same one they used before and put a Turbo on it!

Bet they'd sell fast!!

Old 09-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab

They should just resume production where they left off in 2011 with the Ranger, and NOT bring that UGLY Australlian version to the States!

Same for the Diesel Option: They should resurrect the same one they used before and put a Turbo on it!

Bet they'd sell fast!!
There are 2 problems with this. The diesel from the 80's would not pass emissions and the Twin Cities Assembly plant was closed several years ago. I am sure all of the tooling for the Ranger was also sold off.

Don't get me wrong as I too like the old Ranger.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I love the old Ranger as I've owned several of them, an '86 and a 95, and would strongly consider one if they brought it back. Now that Chevrolet has brought back the Colorado, don't be surprised if Ford is sitting back and playing a wait and see game. If the new Colorado sells well enough, I'm sure Ford could find room in their line-up for a new Ranger.
I've also been told by a Ford salesman that the whole reason comes down to Federally mandated Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. The CAFE standards as they are right now, simply do not give Ford the extra breathing room for another pick-up truck. That's one of the factors that killed it in 2011. The 4 cylinder did good on gas, but at least in my area, more buyers were choosing 4x4, which required the thirsty 4.0.
GM apparently can do it because they don't sell as many Silverado's and other SUV's as they do smaller vehicles. That makes sense when you think about it.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:07 AM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A new Ranger would have to be priced below the F-150 and Ranger sales might reduce the number of F-150 sales. Ford would make less money on a Ranger sale resulting in less overall revenue. With the large engineering / production expense involved in the new F-150s, Ford will be very reluctant to offer a competing vehicle under their own badge. Only if F-150 sales decline to customers switching to other makes will Ford seriously consider a new smaller pickup. - Mahindra may have missed an opening in the market. Perhaps Ford should bring out a new Ranger with specifications similar to what the Mahindra would have been.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by brit_wheels_fan
A new Ranger would have to be priced below the F-150 and Ranger sales might reduce the number of F-150 sales. Ford would make less money on a Ranger sale resulting in less overall revenue. With the large engineering / production expense involved in the new F-150s, Ford will be very reluctant to offer a competing vehicle under their own badge. Only if F-150 sales decline to customers switching to other makes will Ford seriously consider a new smaller pickup. - Mahindra may have missed an opening in the market. Perhaps Ford should bring out a new Ranger with specifications similar to what the Mahindra would have been.
Good point, Brit Wheels Fan, about the revenues and the cost of engineering. I'm no engineer, but I'm sure Ford has got a TON of money invested right now in the F-150! The F-series, with the '150 in particular, has always been their primary source of income, second only to the Taurus. They are not going to do anything to deliberately steal sales away from their bread and butter, at least until they've recouped their investment in the new F-150. At the rate it's selling it won't take them long. Maybe wait a few more years until they've got more engineering dollars to spend, and like I said, if the Colorado really catches on, they'll figure it out. Hopefully by then the Feds will relax the CAFE requirements a bit, too.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:48 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
Originally Posted by Supercab

Bet they'd sell fast!!

I would buy one unless they were just stupid expensive.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Firefox
New User
Just got this.....

THE FORD RANGER IS BACK!!!! Maybe... - Ford-Trucks.com

Haven't read it all yet..

Old 09-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Fmfdoc1968
New User
New Ranger with diesel?

In Thailand you currently see many new 2012-2015 Ford Rangers with Diesel power. They look exactly like the image that is being displayed on the Ford Forum. It too has the Wildtrac Version.

Quick Reply: Ford Considering Ranger & Bronco Resurrection