Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerstop Brakes ..... Yay, or Nay ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:56 AM
cjcathey2002
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put power stop rotors and pads on all 4 corners about 10k miles ago. I was able to see a big improvement over the stock brakes. No fade, less stopping distance, and they look nice through my new wheels.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:29 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Still waiting on the SSBC, everything else has arrived.
Just following up here.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:57 PM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Cost wise,
Just as an example, on rock auto a motorcraft rotor is $75 each, a PS is $50

How much will this "upgrade" get you. First you have to quantify upgrade. The OEM brakes are a compromise between stopping power and longevity , so if you want long last brakes that stop ok Use the OEM stuff, The POwer stop brakes are geared towards stopping power, that means they are sacrificing longevity, so the PS is actually a downgrade, in longevity , if you want brakes that stop quicker but wear out faster then PS components may be worth it to you.

That's what I'm kinda getting at, whether it's for me or anyone else, but if I lost my brakes and needed to come to an emergency stop then even the most expensive brakes are worth it. Be that as may I don't even plan on being in that position. But everyone says that. I think that my brakes are just fine. I ended up pulling dad's 25' TT for him last weekend. I actually had to dial the trailer brakes way down, so I can't say anything about my truck that day. I don't think that upgrading would be for me. If I was racing, or pulling heavier loads through the mountains, then I would think about it.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Hitagain
Mountain Pass
Well have the powerstop kits w/calipers on, did russell brake lines and a set of 9000xl all the way around. Hard to give a review on them I know my old ones where getting bad being about 15 years old......

Old 09-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Subscribed!!!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:42 PM
RKern
Senior User
So in reading the start of this thread the question was Power Slots Nay or Ay? In reading this I am not certain it was answered. I have Power Slots Cyro rotors-Hawk Pads Unk which and stock calipers. I have towed a 35" LQ horse trailer weighing over 20K off and on for almost 10 years. It is now time to replace my brakes all the way around. This time new lines, calipers, pads, and at least 2 new rotors. Coming out of French Creek SD this morning my Left front caliper must have stuck and nearly caught fire. I made it home but it is time to do brakes again. I got 0 bitches about the OEM that lasted almost 100K or the PS which lasted almost 10 years and very heavy towing in. My main question which to go with as I am gonna do something this week.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:14 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RKern
I got 0 bitches about the OEM that lasted almost 100K or the PS which lasted almost 10 years and very heavy towing in. My main question which to go with as I am gonna do something this week.

Well, I started this thread, and I guess the answer for me is yay. I received my new Powerstop front caliper kit yesterday. My sticking caliper problem has been intermittent and I've still been driving the truck... just been staying reasonably close to home till I fix it. I guess I figured it was somewhat of a fluke that would be the same as getting any re-man caliper, and for the money, I figure the Powerstops are my best option. As soon as I get my hands on my stainless braided brake lines I'll install everything.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:55 PM
RKern
Senior User
Thanks for the info. I spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with someone on CarID as that is what came up when I searched for the Power Slots rotors and Hawk pads. I did finally buy Ford brake hoses, Ford Calipers, I figured if the original brake lines and calipers lasted 16 years and 220 thousand miles this new set will last me longer than I will be around. I have not bought the pads and rotors yet, but I am leaning towards the Hawk pads again. I believe the only reason they did not catch fire was the material the Hawk pads were made from. I have never seen a brake get that hot before. It took over 2 gallons of water poured on them before I could touch the rotor.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:47 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
My SSBC's are in so hoping to have everything done this Friday.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:58 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Looking forward to some Excursion brake pQrn pics this weekend !

Old 09-22-2015, 05:00 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by IMASAP
Looking forward to some Excursion brake pQrn pics this weekend !
Me too

Old 09-25-2015, 03:27 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Mechanic could not do my job today, so I am shooting for Tuesday.... I feel like a little kid, I really want this done already

Old 10-09-2015, 09:03 PM
cumminpwr11
Senior User
How did it end up? you happy?

Also can 2005 brake rotors fit on a leaf spring 04 F250 or excursion? I read that the 2005-07 Harley edition truck came with 14.5 front and 13.5 rear rotors. Can these be adapted to excursion? I'd like bigger brakes all for corners. Also does SSBC make better rear calipers for the Excursion? If I am going to do it I want to do it right.

22's and 37's seem to take longer to stop than I like.

I am thinking EBC rotors front and rear with SSBC calipers. Hopefully 14.5" front and 13.5" rear

Chris

Old 10-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Damnit Michael! I need new front brakes and I've been holding out because I really really really really really really really need to justify another 1000 dollar purchase over just replacing brakes.

I feel like you need to have a heart to heart with the owner of your dealer's shop. Do they have any idea how many people are waiting for this info?!

Old 10-10-2015, 09:48 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
It will be done this coming week, they could not do it last Tuesday. It was the only day I could take it down. Sorry guys, I need it done my front brakes are crap.

Quick Reply: Powerstop Brakes ..... Yay, or Nay ??