1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need Mustang II IFS Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:48 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Mustang II IFS Help

Good Morning FTE Friends,

Here I am again in the middle of my never-ending project... But it's all good! My Cancer is STILL laying low. No need to revisit that chapter - though I recognize I've read it...

My IFS installer has decided to play me wrong, not do the kick *** job I know he is capable. I'm not sure what dynamics enter a person's mind when working with my truck but I have to admit I'm getting pretty eF'ng tired of this BS!

Keeping it short and simple (though it NEVER is SIMPLE):

Purchased the Mustang II Kit from CCP (thanks Van) and my question is this...

Were do the engine mount brackets weld to ~ approximately? Should I have these fabricated? Let me be sure I'm making sense... I'm not referring to the engine mounts themselves but what they attach to - make sense?

Anyway here's a photo.

Thanks,
Paul

Brackets that support the engine mounts weld where?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
The engine needs to be set in place and then the engine mount stands are fabricated and welded in place to match the engine. IF you have engine mounts that came with the IFS then the fabrication step may not be necessary. This is not a big deal to anyone who does fabrication work...it may seem a bit overwhelming to a DIYer but it doesn't need to be, find a fabrication guy to help.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:50 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
The engine needs to be set in place and then the engine mount stands are fabricated and welded in place to match the engine. IF you have engine mounts that came with the IFS then the fabrication step may not be necessary. This is not a big deal to anyone who does fabrication work...it may seem a bit overwhelming to a DIYer but it doesn't need to be, find a fabrication guy to help.
Thank you CharlieLed. I'm working on that!
Paul

Old 08-26-2015, 10:01 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Paul Horton makes some really nice engine mounts, Paul Horton's Welder Series, I have used them in the past and highly recommend his products. And if that wasn't enough he is a really nice guy to deal with. If you like the engine mounts in the link above then check the orientation of the rubber mount on your engine, I am assuming that it is a SBF, it seems that the rubber mounts he supplies in Canada are a little different that those I buy at my local parts stores here in SoCal. If you buy his mounts with the rubber isolators then there is no problem. Here is a photo of these mounts that I used in my 40 Ford with a 351 SBF engine...

Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2015, 02:10 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
CharlieLed & Friends,

For giggles, allow me to amuse you.

I don't

want to

say anything

Unfortunately, this work is unacceptable (even to him, which doesn't explain why he did it in the first place KNOWING that I knew that he knew that we both knew that the brackets were missing... sigh)

Time = $$ and therefore I too shall pay for this - double sigh

On the bright side, if there is one, the brackets are on order and we will forge ahead slowly, tactfully.

Paul

Old 08-26-2015, 02:30 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
That's a damn shame...those motor mount crossbars were made to be used with OEM straight axle front suspensions. To mount one in front of a welded in MII IFS crossmember is just wrong. I hope that you notice the difference between the mounting pads on my chassis as opposed to the ones on the crossbar unit...the Paul Horton mounts that I used have a nice flat area that supports the full face of the rubber motor mount and does not rely on the structural integrity of the motor mount bolt to secure the engine in place. Good luck in getting this remedied...
NB - if you were a little closer to El Cajon I would help you get this straightened out

Here is another pic showing the engine mounted so that you can see how the mounts support the rubber isolator.

Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2015, 02:41 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
That's a damn shame...those motor mount crossbars were made to be used with OEM straight axle front suspensions. To mount one in front of a welded in MII IFS crossmember is just wrong. I hope that you notice the difference between the mounting pads on my chassis as opposed to the ones on the crossbar unit...the Paul Horton mounts that I used have a nice flat area that supports the full face of the rubber motor mount and does not rely on the structural integrity of the motor mount bolt to secure the engine in place. Good luck in getting this remedied...
NB - if you were a little closer to El Cajon I would help you get this straightened out
You put a smile on my face... Thank you and thank you for the offer!

I do like and PREFER yours, however, time is of the essence and shipping from NV to CA is nearly overnight without having to pay for the extra glitter... a week to ten days - or possibly more coming from Canada seemed to be the "logical" choice.

On the bright side things will be remedied.

Stay tuned...

Old 08-26-2015, 02:45 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User

Here is another pic showing the engine mounted so that you can see how the mounts support the rubber isolator.
Hi again,
I failed to notice the image...
What a BEAUTY!
I'm salivating.
Thank you

Old 08-26-2015, 03:41 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Paul Im sorry to read that your helper did you less than a stellar job, but in the big scheme of things its just a bump in the road. You have been thru so much worse, this is merely a human thing that can and will be corrected. Do you remember when I bought that C4 off EBAY that was advertised as rebuilt? Well to say the least I feel your frustration, I ended up rebuilding the whole thing and putting it in and taking it out many times in the process. Im sure our friends here on FTE will get you to the finish line on this one, and your going to enjoy the new comfortable ride that the IFS will provide. Hang in there Bud.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:50 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Paul Im sorry to read that your helper did you less than a stellar job, but in the big scheme of things its just a bump in the road. You have been thru so much worse, this is merely a human thing that can and will be corrected. Do you remember when I bought that C4 off EBAY that was advertised as rebuilt? Well to say the least I feel your frustration, I ended up rebuilding the whole thing and putting it in and taking it out many times in the process. Im sure our friends here on FTE will get you to the finish line on this one, and your going to enjoy the new comfortable ride that the IFS will provide. Hang in there Bud.
To the MODERATORS...

FTE conjures mixed emotions - mainly, good ones!

I love my FTE friends! You, my wife, truck & soon my son are the glue that have kept me together.

I may not recall your name every time, but I recall you, your aura, your kindness, your words... All of you.

Thank you Jim - still working my way up North.

Paul

Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by ImSoQuazy
To the MODERATORS...

FTE conjures mixed emotions - mainly, good ones!

I love my FTE friends! You, my wife, truck & soon my son are the glue that have kept me together.

I may not recall your name every time, but I recall you, your aura, your kindness, your words... All of you.

Thank you Jim - still working my way up North.

Paul
Paul

I live in Madera CA approx 50-60 miles from Visalia. I would be more than willing to drive down and see if I could be of assistance to you at no charge. I have fabbed a few sets of motor mounts and if you are buying the ones Charlie has suggested I feel it would be slam dunk.
Not to dwell on your situation I have had a couple friends and relatives with the big C so I feel your pain and know that during this time friendship and help are very much appreciated. PM me if you are interested.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrymoe
Paul

I live in Madera CA approx 50-60 miles from Visalia. I would be more than willing to drive down and see if I could be of assistance to you at no charge. I have fabbed a few sets of motor mounts and if you are buying the ones Charlie has suggested I feel it would be slam dunk.
Not to dwell on your situation I have had a couple friends and relatives with the big C so I feel your pain and know that during this time friendship and help are very much appreciated. PM me if you are interested.
This is too cool for school, another FTE all-star, ready to jump rite in to help another member. You sir are a very generous man with a big heart. "Rite ON"

Old 08-28-2015, 06:22 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
This is too cool for school, another FTE all-star, ready to jump rite in to help another member. You sir are a very generous man with a big heart. "Rite ON"
Agreed!
Wish I lived closer, a few FTE guys, a few beers and those mounts would be burned in place in no time. Maybe a little crooked but in place

Old 08-28-2015, 06:05 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Agreed!
Wish I lived closer, a few FTE guys, a few beers and those mounts would be burned in place in no time. Maybe a little crooked but in place
Funny Dave
But COOL!

Old 08-28-2015, 06:10 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Met an FTE friend.

What a cool experience! It's almost like internet dating but way, way, WAY eF'ing cooler!

Gerry, I hope you are okay with my posting this for our friends..?

Folks, Gerry & I.

Image by a 6 year old - a little blurry.

Quick Reply: Need Mustang II IFS Help